why so much hate towards electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bridgman

Enlightened
If you are going to think about the "long tailpipe" issue with an EV, you also need to consider it for an ICE.

That gas in an ICE fuel tank doesn't just "appear out of thin air". It's drilled, shipped, refined, shipped again, (consuming huge amounts of energy, releasing huge amounts of pollution, and causing wear and tear all over the infrastructure at every step) and then put into an ICE car... where it pollutes again every time, and for the entire time, the vehicle is operated.
Yep, agree completely... a Tesla running on coal-fired power is still arguably a bit greener than an ICE running on gasoline, but it's close enough to be debatable since the coal/oil/natural gas feeding the powerplant also needs to be shipped. At best it goes through a leaky pipeline.

In my defence, however, I was talking about locally cut firewood :)

Last edited:

bridgman

Enlightened
Where do you think coal comes from?
Not sure I understand the question. If you are equating coal with biomass that is technically correct, but on such a different timeline that freshly harvested biomass tends to be treated as being much more renewable than millions-of-years-old biomass that has turned into coal under conditions that we are trying very hard not to reproduce today.

If we had a way to efficiently create coal or oil from biomass today in a short period of time (I don't think charcoal created by burning off the wood gases counts as sufficiently efficient) then it would probably be fair to lump coal and oil in as renewable, but my understanding is that those processes are still in their infancy.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
soon everyhouse in the usa will be bale to use solar ... till then i like watching gas cars gets smoked by evs. a gas engine cant compete with a ev.

T-man

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, if you haven't driven a Tesla, model S, do so before you make any decision of what you think about EV's or buying one.
It's not a 4WD pickup, other than offroad, it's the best car I've ever owned and I've owned 23 gas cars before this.
I bought used, someone before me paid $89K for it. I paid $29K.
it uses $0 to charge, Free charging at all Tesla chargers around the world. For this you need to buy 2016 model or earlier. There are over 1300 Tesla charging stations is the U.S. and more added monthly.
It's faster, quieter, smoother and almost no '0' maintenance compared to any gas car I've owned.
No oil changes, tranny flush, rear-end service, radiator fushes, etc, etc.
Only costs are tires and brake pads, and pads at 90K miles. due to regen braking.
As far as the look and feel of some old muscle car, it's lacking. (I also own a 70 camaro and a corvette, people always look/ask questions at gas stations, they attracts attention, the Tesla, not so much.)
As a usable vehicle with almost no cost and no hassles or repairs Tesla is a dream...
I highly recommend it, and I love my gas cars, but if I had to only pick one it would be the Tesla, that's how strongly I feel about it.
I flashlight terms, say the old Maglights were the shiz in their day,
but now we have smaller lights that are 20x-50x brighter due to digital LED tech, batteries, etc.
It's the same with cars = Tesla (other 1/2 assed ill conceived and poorly executed hybrids are a waste of time and $)
If you can buy one, do so, you will never look back.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Don't care what Ford says. Electric or not.... THAT is not a Mustang.
Reminds me of when they introduced a new "Mustang" back in the day. Or, tried to. That particular model went on to be the Ford Probe.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't care what Ford says. Electric or not.... THAT is not a Mustang.
Reminds me of when they introduced a new "Mustang" back in the day. Or, tried to. That particular model went on to be the Ford Probe.

Agreed

That "thing", whatever it is, is most certainly NOT a Mustang!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
53F8059D-F792-4472-90B5-B3544C111600.jpeg

These are Mustangs
Everything else is just a car.

The Mustang car was actually a Camaro concept idea stolen from GM that ended up being a Falcon with a cooler roof line. It catered to wealthy college graduates that had started a family. By the close of '66 over a million had been sold.
The Mustang II was actually pretty close to the same size as the ginormous 69 model, it just looked shrunken. It was dubbed the Pinto-Stang by many.
The 3rd gen was meant to rekindle the image after the Mustang II was deemed Ford's attempt at another disco song. It worked.
The 4th generation was meant to revive dismal sales after the 3rd generation slid. It was also a psuedo attempt at a retro-Stang. It was also the the one that saved the Mustang from going away. Ford was actually going to have a front wheel drive, built by Mazda but public outcry changed the idea, which resulted in the Ford Probe.
The 5th went over like a lead balloon at first but eventually caught on with enthusiast who always hated the way the view from inside of the cab the fastbacks of previous years provided.
I stopped counting at the 5th gen

Like those tv shows American Idol and Dancing with the Stars the "E" version will probably catch on.
CEFAFC42-8F1F-4A56-9AE2-EDA8CC958E83.jpeg

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts