why so much hate towards electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

My Uncle owns a successful car dealership, his children run it.
Yesterday at a wedding I asked my cousin a few questions on the industry, any issues he's had over last couple years & ultimately EVs' for his brand.

It wouldn't be fair to quote him, but his answers didn't surprise me especially regarding EVs'

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Gasoline cars had Henry Ford to make them ideal for the common man.
EVs have.... Well, guess we're still waiting for their down to Earth genius to come along. 🕗

raggie33

*the raggedier*
As said in another thread I was building a gas powered bike. Man o man it wasn't easy at all so many issues even the new sprocket for the gas engine was hard to do. It now has 2 chains one human powered other gas powered then the carb would not fit then it wasn't easy to start. But man o man it's a lot of fun lol. I have around 250 bucks invested . Hect I figure some people's car payments are almost that high.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As said in another thread I was building a gas powered bike. Man o man it wasn't easy at all so many issues even the new sprocket for the gas engine was hard to do. It now has 2 chains one human powered other gas powered then the carb would not fit then it wasn't easy to start. But man o man it's a lot of fun lol. I have around 250 bucks invested . Hect I figure some people's car payments are almost that high.
Oh.... Add another $200 to that $250 for a more realistic sum every month. Not me though. Paid off my car nearly a decade ago, and made sure my payments were barely over $220 a month.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Ev cars are so new they will get better. Hey I built a gas powered bikes even though evnis a lot better due to cost but soon as they figure out how to make a heap battery's it will be better the torque of electric is insane

kj2

Flashaholic
Driving electric since 2020. Really like the driving comfort it brings. No manual or automatic gear changes just hit the pedal and go.
And yeah, you can debate if EV's are environment friendly or not. But they're more friendly then ICE vehicles.

Last edited:

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why all the hate? It's simple. Electric cars don't go "boom". There's no explosions under the hood. There's no fire, there's no barely contained compression, there's no ignition. Basically they're soul-less.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Why all the hate? It's simple. Electric cars don't go "boom". There's no explosions under the hood. There's no fire, there's no barely contained compression, there's no ignition. Basically they're soul-less.
Well, technically.... There's a lot of fire with certain EV models. Whole heck of a lot. Just not the kind you want. :oops:

So, quick update. Again, no hate. A very close friend of mine who has become obsessed with EVs, was trying for several months to get one. That whole Government credit thing in place if you buy an EV, yeah; turns out that doesn't work the way most folks think it does. Uncle Sam doesn't directly help you pay for purchasing an EV.

Apparently if you're Working Class, Chevy and their Bolt models are realistically at this point in time the only realistic option. We're talking availability of stock, and Dealership pricing in general. While he'd love to get a new model KIA Sportage EV, availability in the Mid-West is apparently a joke. Thus, KIA dealers want prices approaching High-End Mercedes numbers. Even with Chevy's Bolt models, there's still a huge mark-up.... to the point that he leased an ICE vehicle. But he kept it in the family. So in 2 or 3 years when he has to give the SUV back, there's likely going to be more Bolts available, and the price will have come down some. He admits KIA/Hyundai has better EV tech. than GM. But GM's Chevy division actually has stock right now.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember in the 1980's when the big 3 were turning out really junky small vehicles. It was awful. Everybody wanted Hondas and Toyotas back then. And dealerships knew it. They raised prices out of reach of many up and coming young families. Prices to fix the American junk was also high. So you kept driving the old jalopie from the 70's until things settled down.

That's pretty much how it is with EV's and hybrids these days. But once enough demand has been met things will settle down and prices will be much lower. There will be a time when demand falls to a level where deslerships will be begging for people to buy them.

cerbie

Enlightened
I remember in the 1980's when the big 3 were turning out really junky small vehicles. It was awful. Everybody wanted Hondas and Toyotas back then. And dealerships knew it. They raised prices out of reach of many up and coming young families. Prices to fix the American junk was also high. So you kept driving the old jalopie from the 70's until things settled down.

That's pretty much how it is with EV's and hybrids these days. But once enough demand has been met things will settle down and prices will be much lower. There will be a time when demand falls to a level where deslerships will be begging for people to buy them.
Not without successful and disruptive changes in batteries and power infrastructure. Volume does not fix all woes, only those costs related to efficiency in manufacture and distribution. You can't make current batteries much cheaper. You can't make chargers much cheaper. You can't quickly get more MW to your door. Governments are trying the, "if we tell them they have to build it, it will succeed," model...which never works.

The primary problem isn't with the market, but the cost and availability of inputs, which are difficult to impossible to make much cheaper and more available. Maybe salt batteries will help. Maybe asteroid mining will help. Maybe we'll get more nuke plants breaking ground in the next few years. But, if we don't get changes like those...

kj2

Flashaholic
So, for you a car only has soul when it makes noise?

Many like the noise. I prefer to drive in silence. Although I do like the rumbeling sound from an AMG or exotic Italian car.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I love silence I have a gas bicycles and a electric bicycle the elfrec is way way nicer and when motor is off the ebike is way way way way nicer to peddle .I think the gas people are the same ones who say hd audio isn't good. Hey but I'm wrong alot lol

Status
Not open for further replies.