Why the dislike for LED LENSER?

Status
Not open for further replies.

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Don't forget that lack of regulation is a much bigger issue here. Running on direct drive means that on NiMH, Lensers will run dim because the voltage isn't there. On Lithium (AA), they're overdriving the LED and reducing its lifespan by putting too much voltage. Li-Ion will blow it. Essentially, their non-regulated models are BEST suited for Alkalines, which are BEST suited for low current applications - which their lights are not.
This isn't true, my P7 runs much better on eneloops and has better output vs alkalines. On alkalines, the output drops quicker.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
-When they say that all the regulated Led Lensers have just high-med-blinky modes similar to the DX cheapies, they are lieing.

Having just reviewed the LED Lenser website I see that they do have some models that seem to have more modes than just high-med-blinky (though even these "advanced" models don't have low or moonlight). These are the modes with their "advanced" UI. Unfortunately, the only models with that UI are their lines of "full-sized" and "heavy duty" lights. They don't make a single EDC sized pocket carry light (ie 14500 or 16340 size) that has more than high-med-blinky.

It's too bad. I'd be tempted to buy an LED Lenser M1 (their only CR123 light) if it could use 16340, had moonlight mode, had at least an XPG or higher emitter, and had type III anodize.

Last edited:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
This isn't true, my P7 runs much better on eneloops and has better output vs alkalines. On alkalines, the output drops quicker.

Well, there is obviously a point where alkalines can't maintain the voltage compared to an Eneloop. But a fresh alkaline can provide sufficient voltage and higher voltage than an Eneloop. Of course, the Alkalines rapidly lose voltage at higher current, but this really depends on the mode you're using and battery state. But yes, at high current, alkalines will lose output faster. At lower currents, they will outperform Eneloops.

"Correct me if I am mistaken, but don't NiMh batteries run higher voltage under load than alkalines? My experience with these DD 3 and 4 cell lights has been much brighter performance with NiMh than alkalines because of the voltage sag of alkalines. In addition, regulation isn't really needed with this battery type as the battery itself is quasi regulated. I like DD lights for their simplicity, but I understand the cost issue. In theory, DD lights should be less expensive, not more."

It depends on the load. At higher currents, yes, but for a short time the Alkaline will outperform the Eneloop. At lower currents Alkalines have the edge. But don't forget runtime. :)

Last edited:

Dr. Strangelove

Enlightened
I don't really have any "dislike" for them, just indifference. They don't seem to offer anything that excites me. However, I was looking for a headlamp for the emergency kit in my car and I was able to get an H7 at a good price. I agree with most of the reviews I've read on CPF listing its strengths and weaknesses, and it will never replace my SureFire Saint, but I think it's more than adequate for its intended purpose.

(I should also mention that it's a back-up to my other car lights which are a SureFire Fury and Fenix E21, plus my 2 or 3 EDC lights.)

Mooreshire

Newly Enlightened
At $75 from Amazon with free shipping I'm actually kind of interested in the H14. Anyone have any experience with it in a real life situation? Seems to me to be one of very few headlamps to offer 0-100% dimming, which I personally like quite a bit.

davyro

Enlightened
I own a T7 & a M14 but since i became a member of CPF & started to learn a little bit about lights i've not looked at another Lenser.That says everything for me.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own a T7 & a M14 but since i became a member of CPF & started to learn a little bit about lights i've not looked at another Lenser.That says everything for me.

You were there perfect punter because they are miles ahead of the competition with slick marketing and top quality display stands.They shift a load of product through the safety/engineers merchant channels.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

And yet despite being a member of the CPF community long enough to be fully aware of the short commings of their product I'm strangely drawn to the T7 as a mod/host/project base ;)

Each to their own I guess...

Outdoorsman5

Flashlight Enthusiast
At $75 from Amazon with free shipping I'm actually kind of interested in the H14. Anyone have any experience with it in a real life situation? Seems to me to be one of very few headlamps to offer 0-100% dimming, which I personally like quite a bit.

I used an LED Lenser H7 for a while, but ended up giving it to my son. I bought it as a running light, but found it be way too bulky. Also, the light was nice & bright at first, but since it was not regulated it got more & more dim as time past....unacceptable. Also, the tilt mechanism (adjusts the light up & down) was too flimsy (and is a common complaint with this light). It broke with very little use, and luckily we were able to exchange it for another one at Lowes. Still, I never much liked the light because it was big, bulky, & uncomfortable to wear. After I gave it to my son he used it mostly for reading at night, and then began to complain that it was not comfortable. It now sits in a drawer. I gave him one of my floody Zebralight headlamps, and he loves it. I love my Zebralights way more than the Lensers. The ZL's are smaller, lighter, brighter, waterproof, run on a single cell, and have regulated output which means the light doesn't dim at all until the batteries are close to dead then they step down in brightness.

The H14 you are considering is even larger & heavier than the H7, so my bet is that it is even less comfortable. One argument against the Zebralight is that it's not zoomable. BUT, if you put an H51 on one side of the head band and a floody H502 on the back then you'd still have a smaller & lighter set up with both flood & spot. Just rotate the headband around to switch between the two. This is a huge improvement over the H7 or H14; however, it'd be more expensive. I did this on a couple of camping trips with my H51w and H501w, and liked it. But to tell you the truth I now prefer just having a flood light on my head, and a throwy light in my pocket. It's so small & lightweight that you almost don't even notice it's on your head.

Led Lensers are what got me interested in flashlights again, so I'm glad they exist. Since I've found better quality I won't buy another one.

david57strat

Enlightened
Given the long list of other weaknesses, I'm actually not surprised they don't license it. It's their sole competitive advantage. It's might be ugly for them when the patent protection expires.

Agreed. I wonder when that patent protection (for the focusing technology) will expire; because it'd sure be nice to see this feature incorporated into other makers' lights.

The focusing feature, the ability to use readily available batteries (in a pinch), and the fact that I was able to get a really good price for it, were the main draws for me, for this light (I have the P7).

Until another company comes out with the focusing feature that works this well, or better, I'll still entertain buying more of their lights, but being very careful with how I treat them; but then, I pretty much baby all of my lights (But none of them are shelf queens. They get used), so this wouldn't be much of a an adjustment.

Fortunately, for all of us, we have thousands of makes and models to choose from; but I have yet to see one that does everything. If we could get the focusing abilities of the LED Lenser, with the compactness of (for instance) an Eagletac D series light, in a type 3 anodized body, the output of a Fenix TK70, and SOMEHOW fully waterproofed, that'd be nice. Tall order, huh? You never know. Just ten or fifteen years ago, probably no one would have believed that we'd have pocketable 500 plus lumen lights available to us, let alone at an affordable price point. For the longest time, Maglite was it. They had no competition to speak of.

Anything is possible. Just give it enough time, and it'll probably become available. In the meantime, we keep collecting our toys, each one of them, having it's own unique features. That's half the fun of being a flashaholic, anyway, right?

Last edited:

lwknight

Enlightened
I used an LED Lenser H7 for a while, but ended up giving it to my son. I bought it as a running light, but found it be way too bulky. Also, the light was nice & bright at first, but since it was not regulated it got more & more dim as time past....unacceptable. Also, the tilt mechanism (adjusts the light up & down) was too flimsy (and is a common complaint with this light). It broke with very little use, and luckily we were able to exchange it for another one at Lowes.

I have had the H7 mounted on my hardhat for a year now and I use it almost daily. Battery pack in back keeps it from being front heavy. Batteries are free where I work so I burn then every chance I get. Still working like new.
And yes it has been thoroughly abused on my hardhat in the nuke power plant.

This is the light that got me researching led flashlights and WOW I was amazed at how far the technology had advanced.
Now I want one of everything and 2 of some.

Last edited:

andurilgc

Newly Enlightened
Just thought I'd throw this out there. LED LENSERS are quiet popular in Australia, along with Maglites.

I would say those brands just have better local distribution channels than their competitors in Oz. Consumer awareness and times change...

1c3d0g

Newly Enlightened
Poor quality, for one. My friend has a led lenser, and once he saw how dim his light really was compared to similar-priced ones, he realized he got an overpriced toy. The price vs lumens ratio alone doesn't make sense, let's not even talk about the other shortcomings.

rambo180

Enlightened
Poor quality, for one. My friend has a led lenser, and once he saw how dim his light really was compared to similar-priced ones, he realized he got an overpriced toy. The price vs lumens ratio alone doesn't make sense, let's not even talk about the other shortcomings.

Despite everyone's feedback, mostly not very positive, I'm actually considering buying one!!
LENSER P7. 4xAAA, 200lumens.

BUT, the shelf price is $149.95, I'm paying around $35. So I reckon thats ok. Especially if I'm aware of it's shortfalls. The huge markup on cost/sale price is definatley evident.

I would say those brands just have better local distribution channels than their competitors in Oz. Consumer awareness and times change...

Yes. I agree. In my experience, the general public in Oz go to get their tactical style lights from King of Knives and camping stores. I have only ever seen them stock Mag, Lenser and Inova. Lenser has a professional display window with an impressive colour scheme and shiny flashlights.

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
Despite everyone's feedback, mostly not very positive, I'm actually considering buying one!!
LENSER P7. 4xAAA, 200lumens.

BUT, the shelf price is $149.95, I'm paying around $35. So I reckon thats ok. Especially if I'm aware of it's shortfalls. The huge markup on cost/sale price is definatley evident.
You can get a ThruNite T21, or a JetBeam BC10, or a Balder SE-1 XM-L, or maybe even a second-hand ZebraLight SC51 for essentially the same price (35 to 40 USD). They're all much smaller, lighter, brighter, waterproof, and run regulated. Even if you get something cheaper than it usually is, it may still be a bad purchase. 4xAAA for something a single AA or a CR123 can do these days is ridiculous.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Coast H7 a few weekends ago from Lowes. Have been eying it for some time, and finally decided to buy it. Figured I could always return if it stunk!! I own several other LED Lenser/Coast/Eddie Bauer lights (All the same thing!), and some I did not like, not because they were poor quality, but they used odd batteries. I have a few that use 3 N cells, and I have no clue why I bought those!! I also have some that use one or 2 AA and these I like. I did not pay more than 20-25.00 for any of them, so I would say those were not overpriced. Now back to the HP7! I was pleasantly surprised at this light! First of all, the finish on it is top rate. It was rated as 251 lumens on high, and 58 on low, and I believe this to be accurate. The focusing mechanism on this light is unparalled. This is the only light I have ever purchased that does this correctly. Push the head out, and it has a beam pattern just like a flashlight with a standard reflector, pull it back, and it lights up an entire room! No moonbeam or spot on the wall when you want some throw. It is not regulated, but I am using 4 AAA Nimh cells in it, which will give me a constant brightness for an hour or so I would guess. It is also possible that a non-regulated light may have its uses. If it runs for the 5 hours 45 minutes it claims, that would be great in some situations, even if the brightness is not constant. If it was regulated, it may run for 1-2 hours at full brightness , then just taper off, maybe not giving you as much light. If you were caving, just a little bit of light would be all you need to find your way. I paid $50.00 for this light, and while I think it may be about $10.00 overpriced, I still do not think it was a bad deal. I do not agree with some folks here that say the $10.00 cheapie lights or DX lights are better quality. I think LED Lenser/Coast lights are better quality than your standard Energizer and Rayovac lights, but not quite as good as say, Inova. I do agree that some are overpriced. I looked up that LX1, and while it seems like a nice light, I would not pay anywhere near $300.00 for it (or ANY flashlight actually). Anyhow, just thought I would give my 2 cents on this, whatever it is worth!!

Last edited:

moozooh

Enlightened
LED Lenser's site claims they measure the runtimes on the lowest output until it reaches 1 lumen. Rather sadistic testing conditions for an unregulated light.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Hopefully since Leatherman has purchased LED Lenser (http://www.leatherman.com/about/release?id=36) we'll get some improvement in that area toward more modern lights.

Keep in mind, a lot of the boutique manufacturers we like, don't have a business that can scale up to really reach the mainstream market at a reasonable price. Fenix broke in, but at least down here they're still far behind LED Lenser, Inova, Coast.

adyscarborough

Newly Enlightened
had an led lenser p3 and a p7...... used the p3 on a keyring for work.... still going after a year.. the p7 i used for waling the dog, i thought it was bright until i changed to an olight m3x and an xtar wk 26, both li ion powered... the olight simply blows the p7 off the face of the earth.... SO DOES THE WK26 AND THAT IS ABOUT A THIRD OF THE SIZE AND WEIGHT..... ENOUGH SAID!!

rambo180

Enlightened
sure they're brighter and smaller and better quality and cheaper and waterproof and many other fantastic things. but if you want something of reasonable mid-quality that runs on alkalines and has focus, olight and fenix and zebra don't got it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.