Wicked Lasers reputation.... honest or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them? They've had a lot of my money for a good while and still haven't sent anything... some reassurance would be good at this point...

Kirov

Newly Enlightened
I made an order last Wednesday for a Nexus 95mW Green Laser from wickedlasers.com for the amount of $499.00!!!
They calculated $18 for shipping, which is perfect for me (usualy it is much more) and shipping with EMS(which normaly takes 2 weeks) - I thought that's why it was so cheap!
AND........Last Friday or two days later, my new 95mW Laser Pointer was standing on my Desk!!!!!!
And I've been playing with it the whole weekend.
I was very happy since I expected it in two weeks and it arrived on the second day!
So far I might say I am extremely satisfied!!!

Raccoon

Enlightened
You will find very mixed reviews here. Most of the complaints revolve around lacking (or non-existant) communication coupled with delayed shipping. However, it appears that in the end, most people receive what they paid for.

joerg535

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the 95mW version to Germany... Let's see how long delivery will take.. AND I will go to my university-lab and measure the output power !!!

Will keep you all informed...

Kirov

Newly Enlightened
joerg535,

PLEASE Let us know what is the output power when you measure it!!!!!
To be honest I doubt it significantly that the Nexus is anywhere close to 95mW. The reason I doubt it is because there is a video at www.laserglow.com which shows a 50mW green laser cutting through a Black isolating tape pretty fast from half a meter away. I cannot do the same with my Nexus that's for sure!
There are two possibilities:
1. Wickedlasers lie about the power of the Nexus!
2. LaserGlow lie about the power of the laser in the Movie!

It has to be either one of these......and they are all probable.
If you measure 95mW output than deffinitelly laserglow have done the movie with something way over 100mW!

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
Well I paid him 2 weeks ago, and 2checkout.com confirmed it when I spoke to them. Wicked won't even look into it and is asking ME for the burden of proof.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
This isn't the Cheers'N'Jeers forum, please keep this in mind when continuing the thread.
bernhard

knifebright

Enlightened
2 weeks ago is nothing. It's very common to wait much longer than that. I'm a WL supporter but you could get very mixed reviews. I had a laser arrive after 1 month of waiting only for me to be very unhappy with it. I spoke to chris and he made it right.
jimmy

bootleg2go

Enlightened
On the laserglow movie, the laser is much closer than 1 meter. The distance is less than 1 foot it looks like to me. Maybe laserglow is watching and will comment. Also the 50mw unit he used was typically more than 50mw...probably closer to 70mw. The beam diameter has a hugh deal to due with the laser's ability to burn through tape or anything, the smaller the beam is, the more concentrated the power. In fact a 5mw laser could burn through electrical tape if the beam were focused small enough. That said, on the WL units and PGL-III units I've seen, the beam is at least 1/2 the size on the PGL-III units that the leadlight or WL.

Jack

xenophobe

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
bootleg2go said: That said, on the WL units and PGL-III units I've seen, the beam is at least 1/2 the size on the PGL-III units that the leadlight or WL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... that's confusing. Are you referring to two different WL units?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
I was referring to the several leadlight units and two WL units I've seen compared to the two PGL-III units I've examined. The PGL-III units have a much tighter/thinner beam, perhaps 1/2 the diameter of the WL and leadlight units I've seen.

Kirov,
There is not much you can do to make the beam tighter, you can adjust the focus by moving the position of the lens; but that is probably already been done while it was being built. If it's out of focus, you will know it, the beam will get quite large after travelling a few meters or so. If you like playing with optics, you could research and buy some lens to experiment with to concentrate the beam...it's like using a magnifying glass to concentrate the beam from the sun to light things on fire...same principal.

Jack

Kirov

Newly Enlightened
bootleg2go,

Thanx for the reply!
I did install an optional small lens this morning.
I glued it on the inside of the cap that stays in front of the original lens. That way I can unscrew it whenever I want a straight beam for long range and play, and I can screw it on and I get the beam focused at around 30-40cm (1 foot) in front of the laser. I think that is a pretty good solution. You still have the original Configuration, and the option to make it more powerful for cutting.
Now I cut garbage bags let's say 10 faster honestly...
It is really cool......

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Kirov,
feel free to post photos and instructions on how you did this. I'm sure others would be very interested.

jack

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea this is what I want for my red I am putting together. What lens did you use? I guess it would be a convex lens with a focal length of 30-40cm, right?

Tman

Newly Enlightened
Re: Optional Small Lens modification

I was wondering as to the specifics on how you, Kirov, constructed your modification, such as the lens type, size, etc.
I think we'd all appreciate the info.

bajaiman

Enlightened
Re: Optional Small Lens modification

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

joerg535

Newly Enlightened
Well I guess that POWER is not the only important factor in a laser system... Divergence, beam diameter as well. And there could be one more thing: Imagine I have a 50mW green Laser, but the IR-filter is bloody and it produces 150 more mW of IR-light. In sum, it is 200mW which will for sure be strong enough to burn holes in a plascic cup. Further it depends on the color of your plastic cup... I will not only measure the output power once I get it, but moreover I hope that out University-lab has some meters to measure the spectrum and does FFT over this. Then I guess, we know a lot more about the quality of Nexus. If it does not produce 95mW an green, I will revoke the Credit-card-booking and send back the laser.. I already wrote this to Wicked-Laser-Guys...
Yes - my (or even all ours) dream is, to have a 1Watt portable green Laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif May the force be with you

joerg535

Newly Enlightened
One more thing,
I bought an 8mW tuned green pointer from Ebay, because the body was very short, running on CR123 battery. I prefer this, rahter than the full pen-sized ones... I found it was very strong for 8mW and some days later got a mail, saying that I received a 25mW version by accident.. Now, it gets a bit warm if I put the beam on my tongue, but it does not hurt. The beam diameter is not too small. I never tried to focus it, but will do so.
From this background, I doubt that a laser with 4-times power will be able to burn holes into plastic, at least not when it has the same diameter..
But if we focus the beam to somewhat a tenth of a mm, we can burn things, but the beam won't apper such bright for a laser-show... Best would be an adjustable optics, for either burning things or for pointing into the night-sky..
15 Years ago, I had a good friend in Berlin. He was L.J. in a Disco, driving a 10 Watt Argon-Laser. It lights a cigarette in less than 1 second and could burn your skin seriously. Next: when you use a 10cm diameter lens for collecting sunlight down to 1mm, the equivalent power is 6 Watts (42 degrees north of equator). This already burns and lights paper (which is not white!!!). So my overall conclusion is, that for burning a plastic-tape within less than a second, will require 200 mW of Laser power at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts