WickedLaser or EnVee

Freyth

Enlightened
Hi, I'm kinda new to the laser world and I'm looking for a laser that's worth the bang for buck. I'm caught between the lasers from wicked and the envee lasers. Are the safety features provided by envee that important?

I would also like to know if wickedlasers and the envee have a sustained output. I'm looking at the Evo-95 and the NV-90. Which one of them is visible in daylight? Oh and any other information on their lasers would be much appreciated! :grin2: Thanks!

P.S. I would also like to know why is it that the Evo-95 costs $400 while the EnVee costs only $300.

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
Well, in daylight the dots will be about the same, and you won't see any visible beam. Bright daylight can even eradicate a 300mW greenie after a few meters though, so these lasers normally look the best in darker conditions.

As for the saftey features, the Envee features normally just hinder using the laser, and most can be bypassed anyway. What I like about the Envee though is the rotating aperture shutter which makes it really easy to protect your lens from dust (and coincidentally makes it near impossible to clean it if you do!). On some lasers like the Aries, the features make them FDA compliant, which helps get it through customs to the US, but neither the Envee or WL have the right features for full FDA compliance.

Neither laser has sustained output unfortunately. The Envee can be kept on continuously without really needing to worry about killing the diode though, whereas the older WLs recommended a 100 second on/10 second off
duty cycle. The new Evos may have gotten rid of the need for that, but in either case, neither laser really has sustained output.

In the end it probably comes down to price and form factor as the power and beam specs are very similar. The WL makes for a nice, easy to use pointer, whereas the Envee in much more cumbersome, but also looks much more like a serious laser. Also, the WL Evo costs more and gets you free goggles and WLs good customer service. With the Envee you will need to buy goggles seperately, but it is still the overall cheaper laser, so if you're on a budget the Envee may make a better choice.

Good luck with your decision - there is honestly no clear cut winner between the two and each have their advantages/disadvantages, so the choice is now up to you.

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
Part of your choice should be based on what you really plan to do with the laser. After looking at this forum and the other one(Wicked) I feel most users group into:

(A) The balloon popper/match lighter who runs the laser for maybe a minute or so and maybe does a quick showing to friends.

(B) The Optics person who plans and sets up some lenses, diffraction grattings and sometimes will build a simple pattern generator with a couple of basic motors and first surface mirrors.

Both types are concerned about power and beam quality, but the (B) group might be more worried about destroying thier diode by running it for several minutes or more.

One of my next plans is to build a laser collminator(expander) to narrow the beam at long distances. For this I would definitely need the laser to work while I was arranging the lenses(with laser goggles).

From what I read on the forums(mainly the other one
grinser2.gif
) it is amazing how much thought is put into just the requirements of popping balloons, how many threads devoted to it and all the pictures and videos showing it.

I would think most of the discussions would be on beam divergence, power stability over the continuous run from fresh batteries to dead, analsys of the proper heat sinks and thier effectiveness etc..

So I think it depends on what really interests you about lasers basicly. Then you will know what to read about and what to look for.

Just to let you know, one of the first things I did after recieving my 60mW from EnVee was to pop some black balloons. It did
smile.gif

Last edited:

Freyth

Enlightened
aha. I think I'm kinda the A and B person. I love working with optics; lenses, and also some balloon popping and lighting matches at the same time. However, I do enjoy the occasional star gazing as well.

What's beam divergence really? How does it affect anything? Oh and if a laser gets too hot, will it hinder its performance in the clarity of the beam?

Thanks again!

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
When the laser gets warmer, most of these green DPSS lasers will get weaker and output less until you cool them down. Divergence is very important. This isn't exact, but a good estimation is that a 1mRad beam will diverge 1mm every meter. That means that if a beam has an initial diameter of 5mm, and 2mRad divergence, after 100m the beam will be 205mm wide - pretty big. Laser beams naturally diverge slightly, but over distance it can really be important depending on your application.

In the case of Evo versus Envee though, the beam specs on the two should be pretty similar, so you don't really need to worry about that.

Freyth

Enlightened
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is DPSS abbreviated for?

pseudonomen137

Newly Enlightened
Diode Pumped Solid State. Basically just a fancy term for diode lasers that pump crystals to produce their output instead of just coming straight from a laser diode. Cheap red lasers are just a bare diode with a lens in front basically. Green and blue DPSS use various crystals to themselves lase and re-radiate the light from a diode laser at a different wavelength basically (with a decent amount of inefficiency in the process)

Freyth

Enlightened
Hmm I would also like to know what kind of batteries I could use for my lasers. Will rechargeable NiMh batteries do? Or can I use lithium batteries?

bootleg2go

Enlightened
Hi Freyth,
I'm not sure about the Evo or NV, but our PPL lasers run much better on NIMH cells than on the regular C cell alkalines.

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
It seems that our Envees run best on 1.7V Energizer E2 lithiums, and give around three times as much runtime as Alkalines.

Kwizatz Haderach

Newly Enlightened
That's true about the E2 Liths. I'm using those in my EnVee. I may try the balloon thing with NiMh's and see if there is any difference.

One other thread somewhere showed a reduction in mW's using them. But that may be perfectly fine if you are just doing some work with optics. Not sure if using the lower voltage NiMh's would also run the diode cooler. Might be better for a long run with the laser
thinking.gif

I just tested the laser with NiMh's and the output seemed much weaker with them. I have no lasermeter but if my laser was putting out 60mw with the E2's, the NiMh's looked like they made it a 35mw. It was that apparent.
rolleye11.gif

The E2's had about 13 minutes total use on them and the NiMh's were fresh off the charger. When I'm showing off I'll use the E2's, but for my optic experiments I'll use the rechargeables.

Last edited:

FNinjaP90

Enlightened
Alright, just to let you guys know, the Envees are back in stock, and an Otterbox case will be included with every order.

I just got and EnVee100 and am VERY happy with it. Build quality is GREAT - very solid feel and handling. I like that it is a bit bigger than a pen (I have a couple of those in greenies anyway) and the safety devices are also great especially the removable dongle which can be stored someplace else. I also like that it takes AA batteries which have more 'oomph'.

I have not done extensive testing yet, but using 2650mAH Duracell NIMH, I was easily able to burn holes in black (quite thick) electrical tape. When I can hold (both) my hands still enough, the laser will burn (not just sting) the hand it is aimed at within a few seconds (naturally I don't leave it there long enough to do any damage - but I am sure it would if I did).

Great service from Lucent both to e-mail questions and delivery. I had mine within a week following an international order and when I ordered they were not actually then 'in stock' I think. I've now ordered an Otterbox too.

luvlasers

Enlightened
So far there has been talk of the evo 95, the envee 95 and the PPL. Now time for the Viper 95!!! Dragon laser's Viper 95mW at $260 (www.dragonlasers.com/laser_pointers) is cheaper than envee's $300 and and way cheaper than evo's $400.

Looks like DL and LG (laser glow for the uninitiated :laughing:) have changed their prices. It would be nice if all these laser sellers would stick to the one price and stop confusing people:awman:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL... no way, man! I like when prices change, as they tend to go down. Doesn't cause me much confusion at all. :)

Johnawesley

Newly Enlightened
I hear that. I love my EnVee Laser and all of it's safety features. All it would take is for you to forget what you are doing, look into the beam of your non-safety compliant Laser and wish that not only could you see again, but that you should have gotten a Laser with Safety features. All it takes is one time. Why chance it? What Laser has the most Safety features available out of your choices? I am not saying that Wicked or Dragon Lasers are a bad Laser at all, just not concerned with Safety as much as the EnVee is. Also, you can protect your EnVee with the closeable apature. For me it was a no brainer... Sure the safety features are a pain in the rear sometimes, but aren't they supposed to be? It wouldn't be safety if they weren't... lol

John..

Last edited:
agreed johnawesley. the EnVee's features are great and the 'safety' feature of the closeable aperture doubles as a protection for the laser itself. When its closed it's protected - as am I.

Freyth

Enlightened
Thanks for all your advice. I've decided to get both the EnVee and the Evo lol. Although from what Evo-owners say, the current batch of Evos are a little bit screwy so I might wait for a while before getting one. Yay me. And Safety Eyewear of course! :grin2:

Last edited:

Johnawesley

Newly Enlightened
7histology, thank you...

freyth... Glad that you are getting both the Envee and the Evo. I think that both are great Lasers. Just like the Safety features of the EnVee. You will NOT be dissapointed in your decision and eyewear is a must!!

John..

Latest posts