Wife Beats Off Mountain Lion After It Attacks Husband

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Messages
2,021
Location
Ventura, CA.
story.lion.ap.jpg


"..Hamm's wife, Nell, 65, smashed the cat in the snout with a large branch and stabbed it with a pen to fend off the attack. After the attack, game wardens closed the park and shot and killed a pair of lions. Researches identified the female as the attacker..."
 

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
1,879
Location
South Texas
That lady is a real hero and they are both showing a lot of spirit and class in the TV interviews.

I only wish the lady had had a .38 snubby in her belt pack. There would have been a lot less stitches.
 

JimmyM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 30, 2006
Messages
2,853
Location
Boston, MA, USA
If she killed it with a shot from that 38 snub (belly gun style). She'd still have beat and stabbed that cat.:laughing:
 

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,983
Location
down the road from Pleasure Point.
it was in California. the chance of a ordinary citizen to obtain a license to carry is next to nil(personal defense is not good enough of a reason for the police chiefs to issue permits BTW). Even if she did, she could not carry concealed in a state park. State parks are off limits to firearms, period.
 

tool

Newly Enlightened
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
8
Location
NorCal
270winchester said:
it was in California. the chance of a ordinary citizen to obtain a license to carry is next to nil(personal defense is not good enough of a reason for the police chiefs to issue permits BTW). Even if she did, she could not carry concealed in a state park. State parks are off limits to firearms, period.

The issuance of CCW permits in CA varies by county. Please see the "CA County Map" here: http://www.packing.org/state/california/

"Contrary to popular belief, CCW permits are in fact issued within the State of California. The decision is made by appointed city law enforcement or elected county law enforcement. Cities generally defer the decision to the County Sheriff; therefore, the chance of issuance varies from county to county, and from elected Sheriff to elected Sheriff. Keep that in mind when you vote."

I thought I remembered a CCW ban for CA state parks as well. According to that page "Can carry in state park: Yes" (from the right column "Other Information"). It has been a while since I researched this, however.

Another useful piece of information from that same page:

"Carrying without a Permit/License
California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND it is registered to you AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200."

I would recommend that anyone interested also read "California Knife Laws: A Comprehensive Guide" http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html (link from the packing.org page above).
 
Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
1,879
Location
South Texas
The Texas CHL law specifically permits carry in state parks. No carry or open posession for non-CHL. (CHL - concealed handgun license)
 

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,983
Location
down the road from Pleasure Point.
ah yes, it is indeed issued, TO THE DISCRETION OF THE CLEO.

Amazing what stats don't tell you.

So if you live in one of the counties with few people, yes you have achance. But then 90% of the people live in counties that have CLEOS who only igve the permits to the well-connected. I'm not well connected. So last time I applied for one I was told to go home in my home county.

what they don't tell you is that each sheriff sets their own CCW policy.

when I applied to the Alameda county sheriff, I need to pay about 300 dolalrs in application fee, demonstrate that I carried large sums of cash on a regular basis, go through a sheriff-appointed psychiatrist(150 dollars an hour, one hour minimum), go through 25 hours of classroom time(2-300 dollars there), a 1-million dollar insurance policy, and all that just to APPLY. They can simply say "not good enough fo a reason" and send you home. The rejection rate for large business owners is over half. A mere mortal Joe-Citizen like me has no snowball's chance in hell. Apparent the fact that the most serious criminal record I have is an illegal U-Turn doesn't testify to my character and I must pay 7-800 dollars upfront just to be told NO.
--but hey, if someone is car jacking me I can always call 911, if they are ncie enough to leave me with my cell phone.

Ah yes, the "quasi-right to carry". In California, a concealed firearms will get you a felony arrest on the ground, you will be booked into your local jail, you will ahve to spend thousands on legal fees out of your pocket to fight over-zealous DAs, and if the gun is loaded you will have a second charge of carrying a LOADED concealed firearms without permit.

If you are lucky enough to only be charged with a misdomeanor, most judges with give you the max of one year in jail. THen you lose all your guns because it's a firearms offense and you lose your guns very quickly.

So would you risk all that to carry without a permit?

tool said:
The issuance of CCW permits in CA varies by county. Please see the "CA County Map" here: http://www.packing.org/state/california/

"Contrary to popular belief, CCW permits are in fact issued within the State of California. The decision is made by appointed city law enforcement or elected county law enforcement. Cities generally defer the decision to the County Sheriff; therefore, the chance of issuance varies from county to county, and from elected Sheriff to elected Sheriff. Keep that in mind when you vote."

I thought I remembered a CCW ban for CA state parks as well. According to that page "Can carry in state park: Yes" (from the right column "Other Information"). It has been a while since I researched this, however.

Another useful piece of information from that same page:

"Carrying without a Permit/License
California law has a gray area, a de facto quasi-right-to-carry. The state law provides that carrying a concealed weapon (including a knife or blackjack) is a FELONY, however, a clear exception exists. If you are carrying a gun (not a knife!) AND it was legally purchased AND it is registered to you AND you are not a gang member (yes, there is a statutory definition of gang member) AND it is your first such arrest, then concealed carry is a misdemeanor. A typical fine is $200."

I would recommend that anyone interested also read "California Knife Laws: A Comprehensive Guide" http://www.ninehundred.com/~equalccw/knifelaw.html (link from the packing.org page above).

now check out this page to see how many people did manage to get permits in the state of 30 million peopl:

http://californiaccw.org/forums/list.page

also, in California, IF you had a CCW, you could carry in state parks if there are no signs otherwise indicating prohibition. of the 25-30 state parks I have been too, all of them have signs posting no firearms. So even if you had one you have to leave yours in the car while you are visiting the park. But then what responsible gun-owner would leave his guns unattended in a motor-vehicle in public, right?
 
Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
1,879
Location
South Texas
Not my point. Point was that the law specifically permits carry in state parks.

When the law was first written, it was interpreted in many ways by many people. Citys were posting no handgun signs on public property and buildings. Some state park managers were doing the same.

A subsequent legislature amended the law to specifically state that CHL could carry in state parks, among other clarifications.

The Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA) gets most of the credit.
 

270winchester

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,983
Location
down the road from Pleasure Point.
but shall issue is a big point of what I was saying. In order to be permitted to carry in the park, Texas requires a permit, no? (you said no carry or open possession without a CHL). Thus it still reamins a fact that the issuing process is an arbitrary and unfair process in our state, also the state where this story occured. You folks have enough common sense people have decent laws in Texas, but we live in california have to deal with beating a mountain lion on the head with a stick while it has one's spouse's head in it jaw.

BIGIRON said:
Not my point. Point was that the law specifically permits carry in state parks.

When the law was first written, it was interpreted in many ways by many people. Citys were posting no handgun signs on public property and buildings. Some state park managers were doing the same.

A subsequent legislature amended the law to specifically state that CHL could carry in state parks, among other clarifications.

The Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA) gets most of the credit.
 
Last edited:

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
1,879
Location
South Texas
Yes, we're in agreement in general.

BTW - in earlier post I referred to "open possession" - a misstatement. CHL handguns can be carried, but must be concealed. General possession, like in a vehicle, other than an RV, is still kind of murky.

We've got some good bills in the legislature now that will strengthen carry/possession rights even more.

But on the federal level, our 2nd amendment rights are in grave danger.
 

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 28, 2006
Messages
2,033
Location
Santa Cruz Mountains
The possibilty of being attacked by a mountain lion is a weak argument for carrying
a firearm, considering the far greater number of people who are hurt or killed by
gun accidents.
 

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 9, 2004
Messages
1,879
Location
South Texas
Andy, I agree the chances of ever using a handgun to thwart a cougar attack are about equivelent to being struck by lightning while on the way to pick up your lottery winnings.

The chances of using a handgun to thwart an attack by a two legged predator are much, much greater. And these attacks occur in our parks and public places as well as in our homes, places of business and just on the street.

The first and last line of defense for you and your family is you. If you choose to call 911 and die, that's your business.

We're off topic and too personal -- my last post on the issue.
 
Last edited:
Top