Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
The 3D ML300 does run a lot longer on high at 746 lumens (32 hours) with 403m beam distance. That is pretty impressive to me.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The 3D ML300 does run a lot longer on high at 746 lumens (32 hours) with 403m beam distance. That is pretty impressive to me.
And it's available in black, forest green or gray hardcoat with grenade grip.
D68DBEC0-DA73-4B7A-B549-2B103680814C.jpeg

4D incan vs the 3D ML300LX
Note the Nine Line edition with an antiroll device/filter holder

You what? I'm surprised they didn't send you a 'get well' card!!:)
Little by little I have acquired several Maglites through their website over the last 2 years or so post WalMart availability. Mostly the kind where a portion goes to charities. So they send me e-coupons at times.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 3D ML300 is amazing but if one wants heft of the 4D Maglite the long run ML300 is a good one no doubt.

Double x I get texts from Maglite at times with special deals for "loyal customers" (in other words I haven't bought anything from them this month lol). The other day the code was for the XL50, today it's for the 4D and assorted bundles like a "complete home bundle kit", and "aviation kit", "home protection bundle", "ML300 road tool bundle", "prepper bundle" and "national security bundle"
I guess there is no 30% site wide code this year?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I guess there is no 30% site wide code this year?
The black friday/cyber monday was 25% site-wide this year iirc. The 25% for the 25 days of Christmas has been specfic items each day. Day x was camping, day y gifts for him etc. Like KG said there was a brief one post BF/CM.

I would like to purchase another 40th anniverassary light but just haven't yet.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Only qualm I have with the ML series is you must remember to slightly loosen the tailcap or the electronic switch will drain the battery past the point it will take a charge. Fine if you keep it the charger or top up once a month or so.
I just got the ML25LT. Does this have the parasitic drain you refer to above.?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I cannot say for certain the gen 2 ML25 does not have an electronic switch because I read somewhere (but don't recall where) that the multi setting minimag uses an electronic switch. But the first gen ML25 was mechanical.

I have gone to use ML50's or 300's that sat a few months and the batteries were depleted but not the gen 2 ML25 in my den. Before I did not loosen the tail cap on the 50's and 300's but do now, however not the ML25.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
@bykfixer ,
Thanks for the response. I just discovered that my cheap multimeter, does not have a milliampere setting, so I can't test my ML25LT for parasitic drain. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it, or break down and buy myself a better multimeter.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The one I keep in the den has Power Ex batteries and this morning they were depleted. I had forgotten that back in the Spring I found them depleted, charged them up, returned them to the light, unscrewed the tail cap some and figured on checking them a few months later. I believe it's the batteries self discharging and not the light draining them.

I say that because I keep a gen 2 in the door of my truck with tailcap tightened since around 2019 and it still lights each time I use it. It has eneloops.
8F1420E1-D7BC-409B-875A-8FC512E6F38D.jpeg

I just brought it in from a the truck that's 20 some, maybe 30 degrees and it lit just fine. I'll charge the batteries today since it's been about a year or so since they were charged. I rarely use it anymore because I also keep an ML150 with a traffic wand and an Elzetta Bones it there too.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
@bykfixer ,
Thanks for the response. I just discovered that my cheap multimeter, does not have a milliampere setting, so I can't test my ML25LT for parasitic drain. I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on it, or break down and buy myself a better multimeter.
Pretty sure they work a bit like a large Mini Mag and the head breaks the connection.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Got a couple m25lt I've been using during power outages. No parasitic drain left loaded. And No leaking issues with Rayovac C (blue/silver wrapper) High Energy cells. I do unscrew the tailcap, a turn or so, just in case of leakage it will make it easier cleaning out batts..
Gotta say with low candle mode, this overgrown Mini is the most used around my house. Even my neighbor has a loaner. I told him to hang on to it for next outage. The guy returned a brand new one the other day. Good neighbor, we watch out for each others property

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a couple m25lt I've been using during power outages. No parasitic drain left loaded. And No leaking issues with Rayovac C (blue/silver wrapper) High Energy cells. I do unscrew the tailcap, a turn or so, just in case of leakage it will make it easier cleaning out batts..
Gotta say with low candle mode, this overgrown Mini is the most used around my house. Even my neighbor has a loaner. I told him to hang on to it for next outage. The guy returned a brand new one the other day. Good neighbor, we watch out for each others property
The ML25 is great for power outages. We used a couple during the last power outage when a tree fell taking out the power line during a storm. The ML25's worked real well for assessing the damage caused by the fallen tree and after that we used them set up as lanterns.

NrrUSrP.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
The maxi-minimag is great when it's dark out, like no light pollution but for shadow busting in the light polluted places it runs out of steam quickly. Even my 850 lumen ML150 seems paultry in those scenarios.
In a different time it may have been Maglites best seller.

Reactions: xxo

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Here is a link to a review of the 3D model:

It includes a time output graph.
It shows that the output on high drops to 40% at 4 hours, and 25% at 8 hours.
Still, at almost 200 lumens, with a focused beam, that is still useable light.

I like 3D cell lanterns at less than 300 lumen output. Because they'll give similar performance to a 3 x 18650 light at 300 lumens or less.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It includes a time output graph.
It shows that the output on high drops to 40% at 4 hours, and 25% at 8 hours.
Still, at almost 200 lumens, with a focused beam, that is still useable light.
That's only because alkalines suck and fall out of regulation fairly quickly. If you use NiMH's or Li-ions it will level off at around 70%, though total run time will be shorter.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The maxi-minimag is great when it's dark out, like no light pollution but for shadow busting in the light polluted places it runs out of steam quickly. Even my 850 lumen ML150 seems paultry in those scenarios.
In a different time it may have been Maglites best seller.
Mag would have sold untold millions of the incan ML25's if they came out 25-30 years earlier. The LED ML25 must still be one of Mag's best sellers, bridging the gap between the Mini Mag and the big C/D cell Mags.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
When the upgrade 2 cell version arrived the fate was already sealed for Maglite, in that those smaller, brighter numbers at WalMart were selling while the boxes of Maglite products collected dust including the improved ML25. I saw month after month the same 3 or 4 ML25's, and some 3 cell ML50's in their display box. Even when they were clearance priced.... then one there were no more Maglites. I did scoop up a few 3 cell ML50's. The 3 cell ML300 did seem to sell though.

But the first year or so the ML25 was sold at big box hardware stores and SprawlMart they disappeared from store shelves quickly. I used to check serial numbers of the stock in a local Home Depot and saw the numbers go from ten thousand to one hundred thousand in about a year. The 3 cell version not so much, but at the work site at night I saw mostly 3 cell ML25's versus other Maglites. Little by little each died a typical Maglite death.....alkaleak. 🥴