Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thing is the 487 26kcd gray one appears brighter than the tan 524 33kcd one in a distance competition.
I could see the individual branches of a pine tree better with the gray one at around 500 feet or so.

The midnight blue 2D xenon was 38,xxx,xxx:caution:
Cool. Is there a letter after the 2D that denotes desert tan?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
8B974ADB-D44B-4526-91EF-F95BEE59CD70.jpeg

I was trying to get the S/N of the blue showing better from a photo I took earlier so pardon the exagerated photo.
I've no idea what those letters mean

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. I don't know either. I was looking at my foliage green 2C which has the same letters except of course there's a C instead of a D and I thought maybe the F stood for foliage, but apparently not, since your Desert tan 2D also has the F.

The M2 is on my ML300L and ML50L, so I am guessing that it is used to differentiate these from the older Mags. The standard L models seem to have a L in place of the F, which I am now thinking might signify a LX model.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Apparently one can get the info from Maglite regarding what means what and even get the build month/date based off the serial number.

There was a decal on the box with the model number. That is likely what signifies the actual color. I suspect Maglite engraves serial numbers based on the barrel size and style without regard to what color it will end up being coated with.

One thing I noticed is both the short and long version of the ML150 serial number starts out with M2 then a bunch of numbers. My long version is approx M2oo, ooo, o17,xxx where the short version is M2oo, ooo, ooo,144. Yet if I'm not mistaken the short version arrived well after the long version. But I vaguely recall that when the long version came out there was talk of a short version too.

I really would like to see the ML series have an option starting on eco.

Reactions: xxo

hsa

Enlightened
My standard ML50l is 5 years old and black, has 3clm prefix. These letters are confusing. I would like to see an option to start on eco also. The Mag 'e' switch is easy to operate though.

Reactions: xxo

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How bad is the parasitic drain on the ml50 and ml300 series lights? I want to get my mom a ml25, but she's definitely not going to remember to twist the head ...

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. But you said ML50 and ml300......
As for the the ml25, if she doesn't remember to twist the head, parasitic drain is moot point as the batteries will die from the light not being turned off. And it has a mechanical switch, so no parasitic drain at all.

Apologies I read your post wrong. You want to get an MO50 instead of an ML25 because of the head twisting switch. Gotcha. Then I wouldn't worry too much about the parasitic drain

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML25 is a C cell sized minimag GB. It's just that simple. Some used to refer to it as a 'maxi-minimag' when it first arrived.

The parasitic drain of the ML50/300 is minimal but if you store it for long periods it may be dead when you actually need it. A quarter turn to loosen the tailcap cuts the circuit if your mom will remember to do that.

Another option is the 2D LED classic model at Maglite. Good old Maglite shape and size, no mechanical switch and a big ole side mounted on switch. The newest one has much longer runtime than previous versions. Comes in colors like silver, gray, blue, red and black.

Last edited:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks the 2D classic may be the key. She doesn't associate tightening the head (or a tail cap) to turning on a flashlight - button is the answer

On a similar note - my dad will never remember that multi mode lights need you to tap the switch. He complained to me that the Convoy T2 I gave him (which has mode memory) must have dead batteries because of the low output... The Klarus that I gave him has a push to on, push to change modes, push and hold to turn off - he figured that one out, go figure

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 2D LED Mags seem like a good choice. The old 168 lumen ones are single mode while the newer 213 lumen ones have 2 modes, though it is hard to tell low from high indoors because it is such a throwy light.

You can get 3AA to D parallel adapters to run AA L91 energiver lithiums or eneloops so you can avoid leaking alkalines.