Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering the LM150 LRS/X until I viewed price of a spare battery. It doesn't make sense the shorter battery being twelve bucks more than it's larger counterpart

It would be my first LiFePO4 chemistry rechargeable flashlight..

Now the LM150 LR/X is about 5oz heavier, and only couple inches longer.. plus extra cell savings, but the matt finish ten ducats more than the shorty version

Anybody ask if the matt finish a baked on powder coat, or anodized?

Thx..

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Hsa.. I finally found it under Specs.. Previously was checking out the 3-C matte foliage green and thought the matte might be a powder coat. Which is pretty tough stuff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I asked Maglite last year how was the ML150LRX coated.
They said "matte"…
so I asked "is it anodized" the answer was…… "matte coated".
Next question was "is it type 2 or 3"? Answer……
"yes".
I just stopped asking.

Now for no particular reason I'm using my shiney coated ML150 shorty for work instead of my matte coated shorty and it's blemish free so far after riding in a dusty door pocket for the better part of a year. I would have thought the dust and the shaking inside a truck door would cause small scratches but so far so good. I did replace the lens with a glass one though.
It now rides with a traffic wand over it in a box with other in case of emergency gear instead of the door.

I had considered buying a spare battery to stay charged but like KG said it's more expensive than the longer battery. So an eneloop fed ML25 is the back up light.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
ML25 as backup makes sense.. Unless I'm missing something, carrying a spare battery, for either model ML150, at some point the low cell needs to be loaded into host and cradle for recharge, correct?

Who's best mfgrs for the eneloops adapters to C.. Other than Panasonic, I view EBL Chinese offerings look like quality but do all fit cells the same?

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Correct, at this point Mag does not make/sell an external way to charge their ML150 battery. I thought maybe the ML125 charger may work but that battery for ML125 is about an inch longer than the 150 battery.

Now Maglite has the ML150 charger set up to charge it up to 80% from like 15% in like 30 minutes or something. But I'd rather have 100% available in the time it takes to swap batteries. That's one sweet option for the 125……insert 3 C cells while the battery charges.

I use genuine eneloop adapters that came with a set. But a few years back I bought a kit at Amazon with eneloop pro cells and Edison Bright adapters. It was 8 pro cells and 4 adapters in a kit. But all my pro models were spoken for before acquiring ML25 lights.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Correct, at this point Mag does not make/sell an external way to charge their ML150 battery.

Not that it helps in this case, but I've noted that Streamlight is pretty good about offering outboard charging option(s) for their similar applications (Strion cells, Stinger batts). I guess their pro user community demands that. Would be nice if ML would accommodate the pro users with such.
EDIT: I'm a pro Strion user so I knew about them, but was referencing this with regard to Stinger (which is a piggyback thing):

Last edited:

Ishango

Enlightened
[...]There was rumor of a MagTac 2 that was less XL-50 shaped, more grippy and was 700+ lumens but so far it's not shown up in their lineup.
Only article with a picture I was able to find is here. Sure looks different, but this is from Jan 2020, so it would be about time to actually release it. Still I can't even buy the ML150LRS here in Europe.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
:bumpit:

It just dawned on me this morning that some of the crowd who say Maglite is behind the times are touting the latest beams from other brands that throw like a Maglite. Now they don't name Maglite directly, which is why this dim bulb took a few minutes to think "hmmm, it seems brand B now has a model that throws almost as good as the $20 ML25 from 2016"……
Way to stay out front brand B

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
It would be interesting to put the green LED from the AAA into a larger Maglite body. Maybe just need a sleeve to make it the bigger diameter?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Saw this on the Maglite fakebook thread.

81B021CF-8886-4889-BCD7-9264D9F3C638.jpeg

Bravo!!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A company that caters to LEOs, and Security professionals, offers a spring-loaded center-punch with a pocket carry clip. Honestly would be better for busting out windows than any flashlight. Has the company name on the center-punch, so not going to mention the brand here.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
A company that caters to LEOs, and Security professionals, offers a spring-loaded center-punch with a pocket carry clip. Honestly would be better for busting out windows than any flashlight. Has the company name on the center-punch, so not going to mention the brand here.
Automatic center punch is in every machinist tool box. I own Starrett as well General.. But beware, cops don't like seeing ugly civilians carrying one in your pocket. Especially late at night roaming around neighborhoods. It would be safer to have a Bust a Cap on end of a Mag-Lite

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Automatic center punch is in every machinist tool box. I own Starrett as well General.. But beware, cops don't like seeing ugly civilians carrying one in your pocket. Especially late at night roaming around neighborhoods. It would be safer to have a Bust a Cap on end of a Mag-Lite
Some tactical pens have non-spring loaded center-punches on one end or the other. But for LEOs, unless regulations prevent it, yeah; a Bust-a-Cap is a good idea on a full sized Maglite.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I just find it odd that a clip-carried center-punch isn't standard-issue gear for all officers. I keep one in the passenger's side seat map-pocket (behind the seat) in one corner. I can reach over and access it easily if needed.