Will I turn into a Maglite fan once again?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's interesting. Mag has this on their site:

NOW WITH NEW ECO MODE FEATURE, JUST TWO QUICK TWISTS TO ACTIVATE.

So seems that it must work like the standard/non Pro Mini Mag LED.

I see that Mag listed the run time on eco at 13 hrs vs 27 hrs on low for the Pro Plus....I think I would rather have the longer run time and lower lumens of the Plus, but I'm glad Mag added the eco to the Pro.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Would be useful having a Mini-Mag bright as Heck! But also with an Eco mode geared for as much runtime as possible.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would be useful having a Mini-Mag bright as Heck! But also with an Eco mode geared for as much runtime as possible.
Visible pwn is not great at all.

I've got a 245 lumen Mini Mag. Single mode. I find it is a little too bright indoors and up close. Especially with the cool white emitter. It does need a lower mode. But not one that makes movements strobe.

As for the regulation. I much prefer the XL200 that steps down but is pretty consistent until it does. If I use the Mini Mag to go for a walk, it gradually dims. Which is annoying, as it starts doing it not long after activation.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maglite has rechargeable batteries for the 2 cell lights like ML25 and ML50 now. When I saw that in another thread here (thanks RWolf) I had to look twice then pinch myself then look again.

18650, 3400mAh, 3.7 volt micro usb port on the cell and a remaining power indicator. Comes with a 3 foot C to C cord and an adapter for micro (for the battery port) and B size (for the power source). Adapter kit is a battery adapter, a battery and cord kit. Or a 2 fer kit with 2 batteries and a cord (no battery adapter).

I hope they eventually sell and adapter for D size lights at some point but won't hold my breath.

g8trwood

Newly Enlightened
Well, I just moved to a smaller place and found my old mag charger from the early 80's (with Gene's LED). A flashback, but what a game changer this light was from a 2 cell candle ;) when searching the woods or warehouses.

Thinking of using their trade in program on perhaps the 150? I have smaller lights, but not larger with multimode. Not looking for killer max brightness any ore.

Thanks for your thoughts.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML150 LR is roughly the size of a 3C Maglite. The shorter one, the ML150 LRS is about the size of a 2C Maglite. Both are very bright for how small they are.

I don't think the promotions they have going right now would discount either down to $71. I did however pay $80 for the LRS the year they had 30% off on black Friday. It was $115 back then. Right now they have a 25% sale going until Christmas. Go to their website, sign up for emails and get a 20% discount any time of the year.

Another cool option is the somewhat outdated ML125 that can use the rechargeable or 3C cells. Don't let the low numbers make you think it isn't bright. It has a thrower beam but also has a way to adjust the way the LED hits the reflector (in addition to focusing head) for a much wider hot spot if throw is not at the top of your list. Best part is it's fairly inexpensive there at Maglite.

Only qualm I have with the ML series is you must remember to slightly loosen the tailcap or the electronic switch will drain the battery past the point it will take a charge. Fine if you keep it on the charger or top up once a month or so.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
0A266FFD-F216-426B-9030-2ACD75A2434C.jpeg

From the instruction manual.
The ML100 and ML125 had that feature in case the LED was misaligned. I used the feature to dial the spot to tighter to increase how far away I could light up reflective signs in the daytime or look for critter eyes in the woods at night.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
Does anyone have experience with the 4D long run Maglite? Also, what is the best setup for rechargeable batteries for that light, if any?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
24HF30 will get you 30% off today, that's my only experience with it. That includes the Popular Mechanics and the 'national association for search and rescue' (nasar) versions.

I haven't chosen it simply because i don't want a ginormous 1000 lumen flashlight, Give me 350-500 lumens and a 1000 hour eco setting and I'd buy 3 or 4. Or since they tout the long run thing include an option where it starts on eco and not the battery gulping 1000 lumens until you click it down to low.

I like Maha Imedion batteries but 4 of those would cost as much as the light did if you used the discount code for the light.

Powerex are a little less expensive.

There's always the aa eneloop in adapters option too.

Last edited:

hsa

Enlightened
I just converted a 17 year old Maglite 2d to a 800 lumen adventure sport 800 lumen 4d and I'm running Eneloops in adapters.
It outperforms their advertised specs. but run time isn't it's strong suit. I did it for the medium mode though (about 300 lumens) and it's not bad at that level.
I'm having fun with it though and it is big.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have always wanted a Maglite that comes on low also. I am looking for a large light with high lumens and good throw though, at this time. I want the option of the alkaline batteries and the weight of the 4 D. I have the 2D, but it doesn't have quite the lumens and throw I want in the dark, rural area I am using it.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
24HF30 will get you 30% off today, that's my only experience with it. That includes the Popular Mechanics and the 'national association for search and rescue' (nasar) versions.

I haven't chosen it simply because i don't want a ginormous 1000 lumen flashlight, Give me 350-500 lumens and a 1000 hour eco setting and I'd buy 3 or 4. Or since they tout the long run thing include an option where it starts on eco and not the battery gulping 1000 lumens until you click it down to low.

I like Maha Imedion batteries but 4 of those would cost as much as the light did if you used the discount code for the light.

Powerex are a little less expensive.

There's always the aa eneloop in adapters option too.
Is that code only good for the 4D ML300?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The 3D ML300 is amazing but if one wants heft of the 4D Maglite the long run ML300 is a good one no doubt.

Double x I get texts from Maglite at times with special deals for "loyal customers" (in other words I haven't bought anything from them this month lol). The other day the code was for the XL50, today it's for the 4D and assorted bundles like a "complete home bundle kit", and "aviation kit", "home protection bundle", "ML300 road tool bundle", "prepper bundle" and "national security bundle"

Reactions: xxo