Will my Ultrafire 18650 blow up on me?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, so I wasn't really sure how to go about searching for this, and if you know, please post the link. Thanks.

I have two lights that I run a single 18650 cell in. To be specific, . . .Ultrafire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7V.

I have read some of the "exploding battery" threads and I am wanting to keep from that [obviously]. Is it just what you must accept by using these types of rechargable cells, or are some "more safe" than others? Is it best to leave them either out of the tube or the contacts unscrewed enough that the light won't come on, or can they explode anyway?

Also, I was asking about RCR123 cells as well on another thread, but the same question applies. Tenergy or Nitecore.

I like the idea of using the rechargables for the obvious savings over lithiums.

Thanks for your replies.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Orion,

Almost all of the "issues" with Li-Ion cells occur during charging. If your light drains the battery in 15 minutes or less you can also generate enough heat to cause issues. Most lights don't do this.

The other problem comes from shorting the cell out. Take care not to do this, follow normal charging precautions, don't drain the battery to too low a voltage and you should be reasonably good to go.

Tom

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the information, sir. I was just concerned because I think I got the simple/cheaper Ultrafire batteries and charger. Batteries are the blue ones.

My charger is marked:

Video/Digital Camera
TRAVEL CHARGER
Output: DC 4.2V == 600mAh

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Buy some battery charging bags if you are that bothered,available at any decent radio control model shop, or lay a fire blanket over your charger.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if the light is running with decent output, am I understanding that this is not the time when it would explode? Just when charging . . . or running it too low? I have it in a very nice RRT01 that I'd prefer keeping in tact.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're worried about your flashlight or charger exploding on you, why are you using lithium ion batteries? Switch to AA NiMH cells and save yourself the additional expense of lorazepam.

välineurheilija

Enlightened
Atleast do not ever cover your charger with a fireblanket or any other kind of blanket for that matter you will prevent airflow and possibly fry your charger or risk fire!
If you have an unprotected battery and you run it too low then you could have a problem when charging it up.
If your battery is protected the circuit should cut off when the voltage drops too low,after that you have to know if your charger can reset the batterys protection.
I would change to a better quality battery and charger lots of threads here about them.
Aaaand for your question about the RCRs both are good enough in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Atleast do not ever cover your charger with a fireblanket or any other kind of blanket for that matter you will prevent airflow and possibly fry your charger or risk fire!
If you have an unprotected battery and you run it too low then you could have a problem when charging it up.
If your battery is protected the circuit should cut off when the voltage drops too low,after that you have to know if your charger can reset the batterys protection.
I would change to a better quality battery and charger lots of threads here about them.
Aaaand for your question about the RCRs both are good enough in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

I disagree,you can use a fire blanket with common sense allowing air flow.

Traxxx

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so I wasn't really sure how to go about searching for this, and if you know, please post the link. Thanks.

I have two lights that I run a single 18650 cell in. To be specific, . . .Ultrafire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7V.

I have read some of the "exploding battery" threads and I am wanting to keep from that [obviously]. Is it just what you must accept by using these types of rechargable cells, or are some "more safe" than others? Is it best to leave them either out of the tube or the contacts unscrewed enough that the light won't come on, or can they explode anyway?

Also, I was asking about RCR123 cells as well on another thread, but the same question applies. Tenergy or Nitecore.

I like the idea of using the rechargables for the obvious savings over lithiums.

Thanks for your replies.

Hi. This happened to me before also. If the battery generates too much heat during charging. I turn the charger off and wait until the battery cools down and try charging it again. If it does the same hotter temp, I stop and find a new battery to use. I'm open to other suggestions.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I appreciate all the input and advice. Can you all give me some advice as to an 18650 battery and charger that would be the least problematic?

Thanks!

Bob Damon

Enlightened
Nitecore I2 and I4 chargers. An I2, which can charge 2 batteries at once, can be had for less than $15.
if you are concerned about your batteries and charger, stop using them and replace them with more reliable batteries and charger. Many dealers sell battery and charger combos.

Heres a review of the Nitecore I4 from a couple weeks ago.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ew-of-Charger-NiteCore-Intellicharger-i4-2014

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are having nightmares toss your 18650 light in the for sale area,buy a AA cell light and feed it on good quality Alkies and then you can start to worry about leakers as some kind soul will be ranting on that Alkies leak.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you have relatively little to worry about. As long as you are using them in single cell lights, and not over-discharging them, even Ultrafire cells are unlikely to cause you a problem.

But since you are clearly concerned about it, and you have some nice lights, I'd recommend a Nitecore i4 (<$20) or d4 (d4 is more expensive, but gives you more options and a digital display) and SoShine 3400mAh cells. They can be had for around $10 each...so won't break the bank, and they give you the same performance as more expensive 18650s in most situations. They have the same high-quality Panasonic cell underneath the wrapper, after all. This would allow you peace of mind, AND give you better performance (certainly longer runtime), so unless you really can't afford it, there is no reason not to do it.

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you! I think I'm good to go with the info provided!

BTW, I don't use alkalines in flashlights because of their tendency to leak corrosive crap. My other lights use regular CR123a lithiums. Just wanting to offset the cost with rechargeables. Thanks guys.

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
Any Li-ion batteries can and will explode if and when abused. It's less likely with the brand name like Panasonic's, however. Ditch anything with "fire" suffix, as reported herein on this forum, it literally lives up to its name.

You would be safe as long as common sense is followed herein. And, get better charger too, as recommended herein by CPF members - Nitecore's good. (I have fourseven's single bay charger, and it works for 3.2 Volts 18650 Lithium : Iron Phosphate batteries I use for my laser.)

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Candlepowerforums mobile app

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Nitecore i4 that comes with two 18650 cells and two RCR123 cells. Perfect!

Thanks again for the help, guys!

Oh, and I assume that with the Nitecore, you can just charge one cell [if that's all that needs to be charged?

Dr. Mario

Enlightened
I think it should not matter. You can check the manual that comes with the charger just to be sure.

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Candlepowerforums mobile app