Will Preon P0 Magnet erase Credit Card in wallet?

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Has anyone ever actually messed up a credit/debit card's magnetic strip in their wallet with a flashlight tail magnet? P0 magnet is pretty strong.

Question 2, I may want to demagnetize this anyway since it'll be on my keychain. Can anyone tell me the approx temp and time to heat the magnet in order to demagnetize?

I searched the P0 threads and found no specifics. Thx.

TIMEBNDIT

Newly Enlightened
interesting thought on the magnet and credit card, I have stuck all kinds of tools and magnets and never ruined a cc but I guess its posible?
As for demagnetizing try a tool and watch demagnetizer I would think it safer

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Olight S10, which has a bigger magnet than the P0 - and no. It's never caused me any problems.

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
Has anyone ever actually messed up a credit/debit card's magnetic strip in their wallet with a flashlight tail magnet? P0 magnet is pretty strong.

Question 2, I may want to demagnetize this anyway since it'll be on my keychain. Can anyone tell me the approx temp and time to heat the magnet in order to demagnetize?

I searched the P0 threads and found no specifics. Thx.

Curie temp (temp at which magnetism starts to be lost) for a 'standard' neodymium magnet is 310 - 400°C.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
I had it kill my room card in a hotel, so it is definitively strong enough to kill a magnet strip.

But that card was not protected by a walled and just put into my pocket, so there was potential direct contact.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
Tool and watch demagnetizer looks cool, but I'm not paying $30 for a device to fix a $20 light... Maybe I'll try a watch repair shop.

Thanks gravel monkey, I read abt curie temp when researching this, wasn't even aware that heat could demagnetize metal (been 14 yrs since a physics class), pretty cool.

I'll prob just try a butane lighter for a few seconds at a time. With the P0 head removed of course. Messy mod, but someone else said it works.

I'll need some tongs. Or pliers. Knew I should have bought a leatherman instead of a SAK tinker ;)

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had it kill my room card in a hotel, so it is definitively strong enough to kill a magnet strip.

Strong enough for a hotel room card. They are usually quite weak as they are commonly required to be re-programmed. The company Blackberry I used to carry would often wipe my hotel card, embarrassingly. Some gift cards can also be affected, wiped an Ikea returns gift card.

As for killing a credit card, the Mythbusters says myth busted. Check out the "Can an eel skin wallet erase a credit card?" episode.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Killed the magnet on my p0 with a lighter. The magnet was annoying on my keychain. After seeing mythbuster try to kill cards with a magnet, i was not worried for my cards at all.
Keep it in the blue part of the flame or it will soot. Took 10 sek or something like that.

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I love this light! It dwarfs my already-small Fenix e01, no larger than a SAK classic. Super-smooth bright-enough flood with no spot, should suffice for everything that doesn't require my primary edc. I'm not so worried about runtime on high bec I'm going to invest in eneloops. Don't know if I can justify buying a 10180 keychain light now bec this P0 is staying on my keyring, I think that $ will go towards a new 18650.

Demagnetize P0 neodymium tail magnet mod:
Worked like a charm, took all of 3 minutes to heat then clean!

Yeah I could have bought a cleaner burning torch which wouldn't have caused the ash/soot, but I was impatient so I just used a bic for 15 seconds.

The soot washed off the body and tail easily with soap and water, no discoloration, only a few miniscule black marks on the tail that you need a magnifying glass to notice.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Ironically, I have one light with a magnetic tail, and its GREAT. I can stick the light on stuff and aim it at what I'm working on, etc....VERY handy. When I first got it, I assumed it was going to be an annoying feature that I'd probably yank off later...but, after giving it a chance, I am glad I left it.

:D