Wolf-Eyes defender D2AX & D2A anyone?

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Anyone have any reviews? Any info? Is it basically a 6a with a new head (and a new switch)? It is already high on my list for a next light to buy (yes even above the new surefires) because of its incredible modularity (luexeon led, cree led, 100 lumen WE"s bulb, 150 lumen factory bulb, and in the near future an extreme output bulb from the lumen's factory). I'm very interested please share your thoughts…

shoe

Newly Enlightened
haha I just noticed it too and I was looking for more info and came across your post.

It looks to me like it's a 6A with a "strike bezel" (TM). Crenellated so that light escapes when it's rested head down and the "crowns" of the bezel make a nice impression on an assailants face. :D

Essentially Wolf-Eyes' answer to the E2D Defender.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
shoe said:
Essentially Wolf-Eyes' answer to the E2D Defender.

Yeah. Surefire did start the whole crenellated style, but everyone is doing it these days so i don't consider it a copycat move. I wonder if the crenellation affect the beam since the 6a is quite floody? Also, I noticed that it comes with a new style sheath and I wonder if its any better then the previous one. Lastly, has anyone test any wolf-eyes products to see if they are truly waterproof?

-thanks

Glen C

Enlightened
Coontai, I am a Wolf Eyes dealer so take what I say with that in mind (a grain of salt). I have a stack of D2 here, I would compare it more to the new 6P Defender than a E2D. It is about 10mm longer than the 6 series, almost all of that in the bezel and in front of the lens. The lens is very recessed and protected now. I just got these yesterday and was testing other models last night so not sure of effect on beam but imagine the crenulations will show. The bezel also has an octagonal section for anti roll purposes. Will see if I can do beamshots tonight. Here are a couple of photos compared to the 6 series. WE are definitely waterproof at low pressure, I had a 6 series sitting in a glass in my kitchen turned on (LEDs) for a week.

hb24831in6.jpg

hb24830ot7.jpg

Glen C

Enlightened
Beamshot of the D2 series, the crennulations are visible, the camera is 4 metres back and the flashlight is 1.2m (4ft) from the wall. With the flashlight 4m from the wall, the spill is roughly 3m, with maybe 30cm (1ft) lost to the crenulations when compared to a 6 series.

hb24977uc4.jpg

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Thanks a lot:goodjob: .

Just one trivial question though. Under the lettering for the sniper there is some lettering and numbering. On my sniper it is "EK 20123." What does this mean? Is it like a serial code?

-thanks again

Glen C

Enlightened
Coontai, not absolutely sure but always thought a series of body. I have old and new Snipers here with fractionally different bodies and different numbers.

coontai

Newly Enlightened
That's it. I am a sick sick person. I just ordered a defender from PTS (I have a 6a!). Most of you don't know me but I am a very demanding person when it comes to these types of products. I have high expectations and will let all of you know what I think of the product when I receive it.

Glen C

Enlightened
Coontai, I have a Cree in mine, maybe get one from Mike, makes sense with the very big bezel

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Glen C said:
Coontai, I have a Cree in mine, maybe get one from Mike, makes sense with the very big bezel
Trust me I already did... (I think I was the very first person)

coontai

Newly Enlightened
jay33t said:
Can the bezel be ordered separately and added to the Sniper?

I looked around at PTS's website with no luck. Then I realized for a little over forty bucks it was a bargain. Tust think about it. How much would a surefire bezel cost of similar size?

coontai

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah. Mine was shipped today. I use AW's 18650s in my 6a and they fit like a glove

coontai

Newly Enlightened
I picked up my defender today. The light is essentially the same as the 6a. The beam is affected by the crenulations. I do like the switch of the defender more then the 6a. It is beefier and easier to grip. Build quality and fit and finish are typical wolf-eyes and mine arrived flawless in every way. The wolf-eyes Cree module defiantly rocks in both lights and gets a better vote over the L2D-CE in my book.

IMHO I like the 6a more. I am defiantly a white wall hunter and I like the 100 lumen 3.7v wolf-eyes bulb more than the E0-4 (though I will probably pick up the E0-4 190 when pts has it in stock).

The morale of the story is that the 6a and defender are both bargains sitting next a surefire G2 and you cannot go wrong with either.