Wondering about the British term "torch" and what users of the word think of "flashli


Newly Enlightened
Oct 15, 2008
Perkinsville, VT
I've always wondered about the British term torch used for what us Americans call a flashlight.

I recently had it described to be that flashlight refers to a signaling device.

To me (an American) an electric torch would be a lantern as in my opinion a torch radiates light outward and is not a directional lightsource.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think FLASHlight makes a whole lot of sense either but torch just doesn't definitionally fit.

Now a word like beamlight seems like it would have made a lot more sense to use as it implies botha source of light and that it is output in a single beam rather than radiated outwards like a wooden/metal torch or a lantern.