World's longest throwing LED Flashlight- FTP the affordable DEFT

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my DEFT-FTP HO today and it is bright as ever! I really like the warm LED...the throw is just awesome!!! Thank you for such speedy shipping and for making an awesome light available for us.

Thanks,

stub

Newly Enlightened
:twothumbs Got mine yesterday...too busy playing to post yesterday:naughty:
Thanks for using painters tape! Awesome torch!

stub

notsofast

Enlightened
Mine came yesterday but I wasn't made aware of it until today. Got to play with it tonight...great light!!

Thanks Michael.

jblackwood

Enlightened
I've got to say, my Deft enthusiast is still king of my house throw-wise. I got the 3A. The lens on the FTP is much clearer, almost blemish-free, in my opinion. Otherwise, that emitter, driven at the same level, with the same type of lens as my Enthusiast model might be visibly less bright. As it is, you really have to compare them side by side to see the difference. I go out at night now and feel like I have dual lightsabers!!! :devil: Thanks, Michael. I'm looking forward to yet another one if I can pick up either one of those high output models or a non warm emitter. We'll see how my timing works out in the next batch!

EDIT:
In case anyone thinks otherwise, the 3A model is SOOOOO worth much more than Michael is charging for it. The wafer projection is SOOOO clear (clearer than the enthusiast) and throws just as far as my enthusiast, it's just a tad less bright. Like I said, you wouldn't be able to tell unless you had the enthusiast right there next to it and turned ON for direct comparison.

Last edited:

jblackwood

Enlightened
By the way, Michael, even though I have my light in hand and there's no harm nor foul on my part, I never got an email with shipping info. Did you send it and I just didn't get it?

xury

Newly Enlightened
I got the light and I've been playing with it for 2 nights now. I love this thing!!!! I look forward to the next batch because I definitely want another one.

Thanks for the awesome light!

Raymond

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anymore from the first batch still available? :party:
I think they are all sold. Just waiting to hear back from one individual who asked for the last one. More will be coming fairly soon.

By the way, Michael, even though I have my light in hand and there's no harm nor foul on my part, I never got an email with shipping info. Did you send it and I just didn't get it?
I've been a very bad boy. :whoopin: I only got a few of the emails out before I got distracted. I can't remember who I sent info to and who I didn't. If anyone wants it feel free to send me a PM.

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Can I register interest or leave a deposit for one of the future batchs? a Q5 WC? I live in the UK.

I have been a lurker for some time.........

I can send paypal

It was either a deft or a second hand Surefire M6 which I could not afford to run! :mecry:

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, these lights are fantastic. I have been taking the DEFT-FTP HO out to walk the dog every night...man thing this is awesome....would love to have another FTP HO with the warm LED....are you planning on making anymore FTP HO?

Thanks,

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, these lights are fantastic. I have been taking the DEFT-FTP HO out to walk the dog every night...man thing this is awesome....would love to have another FTP HO with the warm LED....are you planning on making anymore FTP HO?

Thanks,
Not at this time. I don't want to have to assemble any more of those old drivers. I will look into a new solution to see if I can find something suitable but don't hold your breath. The standard FTP driver gives plenty of power to the LED as is and raising the output even more requires more work on the thermal side of things. You really would not be able to tell the difference unless you had the two lights side by side anyway. Glad your are enjoying it. Don't blind anyone OK.:p

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can I register interest or leave a deposit for one of the future batchs? a Q5 WC? I live in the UK.

I have been a lurker for some time.........

I can send paypal

It was either a deft or a second hand Surefire M6 which I could not afford to run! :mecry:
Good thing you emailed me. I never saw your post since it was delayed being your first post. No need to leave a deposit. Just make sure you check back on this thread in about two weeks time.

The DEFT does not cost that much to run. The M6 however.:faint:

fortean101

Newly Enlightened
Reply sent via email thanks!

Shame the Surefire M6 does not run on AA cells!:(

How long do the batteries last anyway?

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reply sent via email thanks!

Shame the Surefire M6 does not run on AA cells!:(

How long do the batteries last anyway?
Depends on the battery type. 1:30-2:30ish. I have the runtime info but do not know how to input it and make those fancy graphs others do. If someone can help me there I'd be much obliged.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can rechargeable batteries be used?
Yes with one caveat. They need to be very narrow batteries. The internal bore of the light is slightly tighter than it "should" be. I test all lights with eneloops or their cousins because those rechargables are the narrowest I have found. Plus they happen to be the best rechargeable option out there in my opinion. That said even with those you have to be careful installing them. Each battery has a seam where the protective cover overlaps. That seam needs to be placed so as to not add to the overall diameter of the battery holder when the batteries are installed. Normal alkalines and my recommended battery, the Energizer Advanced or Ultimate Lithium primaries, fit beautifully.

chelboed

Newly Enlightened
I'm a little confused...

The OMG site says the DEFT is $150 base...but the beginning of this thread states $199.

Is the base model sold out?

Thanks...Killer design!

duboost

Enlightened
I'm a little confused...

The OMG site says the DEFT is $150 base...but the beginning of this thread states $199.

Thanks...Killer design!
From Page 2:

Update: What is going on with the DEFT order at http://omglumens.com/Order.aspx?ID=DEFT? It is apparently cheaper then ordering at this website.

Saabluster mentioned a few times in the enthusiast threads that the OMG website was not current...notice that you will not be able to actually place an order for a $150 DEFT when you click "add to cart". This is currently the official/only source for Michael's creation unless you contact him directly.

Websites are great, but we already have a multitude of information and discussion about the DEFT here at CPF.

The website is as jsholli says non functional for all but contacting me. It will remain that way until I feel I can fulfill orders as they come in.(as in when I have stock)

:thumbsup:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a little confused...

Thanks...Killer design!

Well duboost did all the work for me.:thanks:

No such thing as a base model anymore. You can have it in any color you like as long as it's black.:D I used to have all manner of options available but that proved to be way too unwieldy to produce and make money. I left what I consider the essentials.