Worst job you ever had

Lightmania

Enlightened
a porter job at a 24/7 wholesale warehouse... mostly to keep the floor clean and the dining area clean after 100ish people have eaten, and cleaning out bathrooms... didn't last long and will never do it again.

2nd worse was computer data entry at a bank in the mortgage department... nice pay but the pure boredom of it drove me nuts... enter $42099.59, enter $59239.72, enter $48242.29, enter, enter, tab, tab, verify, good, next paper! enter, enter....

Lightmania

cyberhobo

Enlightened
Counseling squids in the Naval brig. Pointless, in my opinion. Felt the person who put them there should counsel them.:whistle:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um... school?

I am currently working at my first real job. It's better than school, because if I have a tough day, I just think of the money I made.

Danbo

Enlightened
Worst job that I ever did for an extended period has to be roofing. That's one tough job. Dangerous too, depending on the steepness and angle of the roof you're working on. Not to mention the extreme heat up there on the tar paper. You can't drink enough liquids when you're roofing. Imagine being up on a roof all day, and drinking LOTS of water and soda, and never having to take a wizz. You literally sweat it all off.

But, the absolute worst job I ever did, period, has to be the one night I worked on Produce Row in Lacleade's Landing in St. Louis, MO. The entire night, all I did was carry, load and unload boxes and crates of fruits and vegetables. Those boxes are heavy and they paid very little. I remember walking out at the end of the shift, sore as hell, and never going back. Don't remember going back for my paycheck, that's how upset I was at how hard they worked me. I just didn't wanna talk to anybody there ever again.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
When the IT market collapsed around late 2000, I went for about 2 years without work, living off savings. When that was gone and with no recovery in sight, I had to find "something".

I had several truly awful jobs. My first one was landscaping. I've never done much physical labor in my life and this was very demanding. Lifting heavy equipment from the truck, constantly digging and moving 400-800# trees into the hole. Digging was usually a nightmare. Often enough, hit a root or lots of roots and had to chop them to keep digging. This was under hot summer sun in humid weather.
The people I worked with were awful as well. One guy never spoke. He wasn't mute/deaf, but he was so beaten down by life, he hardly ever said a word and ignored others. The other guys weren't much better. They had horribly low pay, and at the end of the day, I was completely physically exhausted, barely walking to the car. I quit that after maybe 2 weeks.

Then I moved onto auto repair. Even lower wage, a shade above min-wage, difficult, exhausting work. I did so many oil, etc. changes that eventually I spilled every kind of automotive fluid onto myself and my hands you can think of. Hot oil, coolant, brake fluid, changed starters only to find out the electrical connections didn't fit and had to tear the whole thing apart again, changing tires.
The worst thing was the noise. The people that worked there were half-deaf from using power ratchets all the time, for things like tires. I have very good hearing and I knew if I stayed there, I would loose it. The half-deaf idiots turned up the radio real loud to near max to hear it over the noise of tools, and kept it on classic hits. I used to like classic rock, now I absolutely cannot stand it after this experience.
Mercifully, they told me to leave as one day I didn't come in based on an earlier discussion that I could take the next day off, but they wanted me to call in and check. I came in at noon and somehow the miscommunication got misrepresented that I wasn't responsible and they didn't need unreliable people. They made thousands per day in that shop and I got a few pennies, enough for food but not for rent.
Working as a hobby it's fun, fixing your cars, but changing boiling-hot oil 20 times per day and brakes and starters and difficult to reach spark plugs for a very low wage is a horrific nightmare.

After that, I got a job at a school. It wasn't much higher than min-wage but not all that difficult either. It wasn't a public school, rather an expensive private school. They paid peanuts to everyone. I worked in their "study halls" and other supervision. They had an inner clique and the favored people didn't do anything but got paid lots, while those on the outside, didn't get paid beans. Of course I was an outsider, not to mention decades younger.
Some of the kids were really difficult with serious behavioral problems doing their teenage rebellion thing (what else is new), some of them got kicked out from other schools, but the administration was really ignorant of the problem. The teachers got no support of the admins, the troubled kids knew they could get away with anything. It's terrible to not have the admin's backing. The principal was a really weak figurehead and didn't want to deal with any problems. The discipline was a disaster and for my classes, I got the worst troublemakers as the lowest guy on the school totem pole, the troubled ones other teachers did not want. They weren't even learning anything, my assignment was to keep them reading and doing homework or look like it.
Well, I had to send some of them to the principal, the worst ones that refused to do anything or were disruptive. No real discipline was involved so that they next day, the same thing happened. The administration didn't want to take responsibility and blamed the teachers for everything and I was no exception. Somehow the whole thing got misrepresented that I was doing a poor job and they made a scapegoat out of me, canned me and put someone else in there. The same nonsense went on of course, but at least the admins were "doing something".
The whole time I was in there I felt like I was in an institution for mentally challenged with severe behavioral/personality issues. More like in a min-security institution for juvenile delinquents. They had every kind of situation in that school. It was coed, so they were mating in the bushes, stealing beer from the local 7-11, smoking, in fact, they even set the whole school on fire one day, causing 3 mil in damages. One teacher told me he was afraid for his physical safety. Nothing surprised me there anymore. A lot of kids who were uncontrollable with anger issues.
I actually worked 3 different jobs at the same time at that school, all adding up to more than 40 hours, but the cheap [email protected] wouldn't pay me benefits as they didn't combine the hours and I was "part time" in each one. The other jobs I did weren't too bad, supervising field trips and stuff, got to see interesting things and eat at fancy places for free, but the study halls were awful, as they messed up my whole day - work 8-9:15, then 10 until 11:30, then 2-3:15 , you get the idea. They only paid for the hours worked, but in actuality, I lost the whole day and per hour, it was less than min-wage. I drove an old beater, actually 2, (drive one, fix the other, and vice-versa) and was constantly humiliated as the other faculty drove shiny newer cars. They told me I couldn't park them there at the same time and I constantly had to move them.
I really didn't fit in there. They paid bus drivers min-wage and some pennies per mile so they had no bus drivers for field trips except one or two. (Public schools paid much more with much better benefits) They got charter buses which were super expensive, much more than paying adequately their own people, but they refused to do that. Oh puke. The turn over was super high, every year it seems 50% were new people. In the horrible recession years of 2001-2003, it was lower only because nobody else hired.

Hard to say which was the "worst" job, the competition is most fierce.

I really want to work for myself, working for others = no light at the end of the tunnel, in any career.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I got something better after that... couldn't possibly find anything worse.

When you look at a new job, ask about the turn over... Of course if you have no choice, it's a moot point.

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
The_LED_Museum said:
I used to be a dishdoucher and prep cook at an Italian restaraunt in Juneau...hated that job with a passion - and if any of the chefs burned food in a pot, guess who had to clean it out? :shakehead:

Thats my current and worst job ever. :D

Been doing it for 6 years now. :laughing:

I've got a job lined up though for an IT Technician.

aggiejason

Newly Enlightened
Chopping weeds in my old man's cotton fields. I think it's fairly self explanatory how shitty that could be!!
xyxgun.gif

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine was being a peeon at an apartment complex. :xyxgun: It works out in the end.

The job wasn't so bad; it was the manager that screwed it all up. I did everything, from minor repairs to vacuuming hallways to landscaping to full remodelling to changing lightbulbs to cleaning up after the tennant's pets(their responsibility, NOT mine). 14 and 16 hour days during the summer, while the light held. No overtime pay, though I did get paid my normal hourly wage for the extra hours. The manager was always nagging at me to work harder and faster, or complaining about the quality of my work. Dang, I missed one leaf in an acre-size parking lot, sue me. He got a free apartment, in addition to being paid twice what I did, to sit in a cushy heated and air conditioned office, read comic books and naughty magazines, and eat donuts all day. He had some paperwork to do which might have taken him all of half an hour a day. He once called me into his office from across the complex, ~1000 feet away, to hand him a paper from across the room. As far as the owners of the complex knew, we were both doing the work equally, so he got paid for these 16 hour days too. Eventually the tenants started noticing that their maintenence requests were sitting in the in-box for weeks, not even being looked at. They started asking why I was doing all the work and he wasn't lifting a finger? Upon hearing this, the manager concocted a story for the owners about how I was sleeping with one of the tenants. I was fired the next day and barred from coming on the grounds of the complex without prior written consent of the manager, which I wouldn't get. I spoke directly with the owners, who hung up on me; they couldn't care less.

As soon as I was fired the apartment complex screeched to a halt; nothing got done. The tennants started complaining directly to the owners and the manager was fired a couple weeks later, as it became obvious that I'd been pulling all the weight. By the time they called me to work for them as a manager I'd already gotten a job doing heavy diesel repair, making nearly twice what the manager had been making.

etc-

I completely agree with you, there's absolutely nothing like running your own business. I wouldn't be happy any other way. :grin2:

P.S. The ironic thing is that, although the desire and opportunity was there on both sides, I'd NOT done anything with the tenant I was supposed to be sleeping with, SPECIFICALLY to keep my job. Had I only known I would get fired for it anyway! :naughty: :devil: :naughty:

Edit: I dunno what's changed, but CPF is loading FAST. Thank you, Sasha! :bow:

Last edited:

munkybiz_9881

Enlightened
My worst job ever was being a Plumber.

I didn't mind installing heaters and air conditioners, wiring houses, and digging holes in people's yards. But I hate messing around with sewer pipes.

There is just something about working in other people's sh!t that doesn't thrill me. My first day one the job I was sent to someone's house with another total idiot employee. The sewer was backed up so badly that the washing machine that was in the basement was completly full of sewage(you dont even need me to tell you what was in there). It was all over the entire basement floor and the smell was nearly enough to make you vomit. The idiot I was with was saying, "Go ahead and get in there...It won't kill ya." Kiss my a$$. I almost quit on the spot. I made him do it, I don't mind doing my job but this was rediculous, who would let thier sewer back up that bad, it had to be backing up for weeks. My first day and this was the worst I even seen a sewer back up the whole time I worked there, 1 1/2 years.

Fortunately my boss noticed that I was good with wiring so I did that type of stuff most of the time.