Worst professional musician

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I stayed away from the favorite thread although I read it. I enjpy music but don't feel qualified to be a critic. However for this thread, am I the only old fart who immediately thought of the Monkies? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

rikvee

Enlightened
The actual Monkees' songs were well written with great sounds on the recordings, "Last Train to Clarkesville" has fantastic guitar on it! Later on, I still like Mike Nesmith's love song to a cow (Her name was Joanne...)

Johnny Rotten's Public Image Ltd is right up there in the awfulness' stakes, so are the B-52's, Devo, Engelbert Humperdinck,and let's face it, most of the mainstream music of the eighties was dodgy as hell...('Do you really want to hurt me' -oh yes! Culture Club, anyone?)
Just give me Judas Priest and the Smithereens and let the rest sink right into oblivion...

cratz2

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Wait till you have a baby. You'll LOVE Enya. She will put *them* right to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

We've had two and a half babies... And I do love Enya. And Clannad and Lorenna McKennitt. I just was using them as examples of musicians that get dumped on for not being overly exciting. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you don't want to dump on artists just because they don't excite much. The worst are the ones that try too hard but fail.

14C

Enlightened
Roy, thanks for confirming my somewhat questionable taste. Tiny Tim is really BAD. Yoko is Really BAD

Now..for the ULTIMATE in BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD:

William Shatner doing Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds!

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Captain Shatner has a new record out right now called "Has Been" which includes among others, a Shatner-esque version of Pulp`s Common People. First time I heard it, I thought it was awful /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Strangely after a few more outings (on the radio, I didn`t buy the LP) it isn`t that bad. Must reflect well on the quality of the original song. Though his version of that Beatles number ranks way up there with the all time horrendous cover versions.

Dare I be controversial and say the latest Band Aid record misses the mark by a long way? The 1984 original was spectcular but the latest outing lacks the enthusiasm and passion, and features some completely inappropriate rapping and Brian-May-esque guitar solo from the bloke out of the Darkness that stick out like a sore thumb. Not to mention all that pointless noodling around at the end. Maybe it`s a reflection of the fact that hardly anyone popular these days is as good as musicians of the past? Still I hope it sells well cos it`s all for a good cause.

But my nomination for top dreadfulness would be almost anyone these days who comes under the "Modern R&B" genre, which seems to run hand in hand with that Rap nonsense too. Is it me or do most of these lot seem to rely 100% on production and hype to disguise their woeful lack of natural talent? Over-production and over-hype at that. There are one or two who could definately stand up on their own as decent artists but most of them to me are glorified karaoke singers and pole dancers with *faaaar* too much money thrown at them.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty much anybody they have on Saturday Night Live. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Mostly the skanky women that can't sing, and the black guys that yell and make random noises and call it music. (nothing against black people...there's plenty of noise making white guys too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif )

UncleFester

Flashaholic*,
[ QUOTE ]
dano said:

I always liked my Popular Music Theory: The more popular you are, the less talent you have.

-dan

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, you are are egg zaktly right!!
That explains Bruce Springsteen's popularity.

chumley

Enlightened
The worst thing I've heard in the last 2 years was Rod Stewart trying to sing standards. I felt sorry for him sounding so bad, and not knowing how awful it sounded.

BTW, I saw Tiny Tim in the supermarket about a week or two before he died. He was complaining to the produce manager that they didn't have the special organic produce that he wanted.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw a movie the other day dont ask how i wacthed the hole movie but it was called spice girls man they was awefullllllllllllllllllllll

rikvee

Enlightened
Early 70's Rod Stewart had a kickin' band and songs like Stay with me, You wear it well, Maggie May, even Gasoline Alley was beautiful.
From brilliant, to disco, to dinner suit kareoke...

Has anyone noticed Bob Dylan's attempt at playing plinky-plonk guitarsolo's live?

leadfoot

Newly Enlightened
I've always wanted to own a radio station.

That way I could break all of the Neil Sadaka, John Denver, Barry Manilow, Hellen Reddy, Neil Diamond, The Carpenters, and Barbara Striesand albums. Make it a regular thing. Meet the DJ's at a local hangout and bring those old albums of your parents and lets have a bonfire.

Leadfoot

Negeltu

Enlightened
Haven't heard the most recent recordings, but Dave Mathews actually wrote very intelligent music. His drummer was very very good too.

I believe people confuse performing with playing/writing music. A great song with a wonderful thematic design and composition can be made very bad depending on who's performing it.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
chumley said:
BTW, I saw Tiny Tim in the supermarket about a week or two before he died. He was complaining to the produce manager that they didn't have the special organic produce that he wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt sorry for that guy. His novelty seemed to be his mental disorder(s). Part of me wishes that it was only an act and that he was more normal (whatever normal is) in real life. If his "act" was real, then I'd say that he led a pretty depressing life. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
rikvee said:
The actual Monkees' songs were well written with great sounds on the recordings, "Last Train to Clarkesville" has fantastic guitar on it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, the Monkees had some great stuff. Of course we learned that they were a manufactured band, made for TV as NBC's way of turning the Beatles' movie A Hard Day's Night into a series. Apparenty the casting was based on stage presence more than musical ability.

What I don't know to this day is whether the voices on their music were really theirs. I think that Davey Jones and Mickey Dolenz actually sang...?