Worst Punishment of your LED Flashlights

CPFBiology

Enlightened
What's the worse punishment you have given your LED flashlights (either on purpose or by accident), and what was the outcome?

I had a flashlight from DealExtreme, an overseas distributor, and the light fell from a height of 1.5m, it stopped working.

I had a Fenix light, L2D, and it dropped from the same height. It still works. I dropped it a few more times. It still works.

I have and HDS Clicky, it dropped from height, one meter, and it is still fine. I have a Jetbeam III-M, dropped from height, around 1m onto concrete, scratches, but still working.

Your stories?

PCS

Newly Enlightened
What's the worse punishment you have given your LED flashlights (either on purpose or by accident), and what was the outcome?
I once left a couple of (theoretically new and "GUARANTEED FRESH") Duracell alkalines in a Fenix LD20 R4 for a little less than a week, and the poor light received a very harsh, undeserved punishment.

I cleaned it out, ordered some Eneloops, and I haven't used an Alkaline since. :)

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
i dropped my ld10 like 3 times. works fine.

thats its.

i have budget lights but when they work well its hard for me to torture them.

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dropped an SF L4 in the snow. Neighbor with gas powered snow blower sucks it in, chews it up, and spits it into a snowbank where it sits for a couple of weeks until the snow melts. Fired right up.

Wilkey

PS. Here's the thread.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Took my "ancient" LED Lenser Tach Torch V2 and tossed it in the air about 20 feet to land in a parking lot to show a co-worker how tough it was. It crushed the poor little AAA's positive posts. Replaced the batteries and gave the light to the co-worker the next day (working of coarse). I had the light for like 8 years or so, it served me well and it was time to move up to the next level.

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a Quark AA through the washer and then the dryer. It was in the pocket of my jeans. Came out nice and clean and working fine!

Last edited:

atbglenn

Newly Enlightened
My Fenix E05 fell off the top of my full sized refrigerator landing on a hardwood floor. Still works and looks great.

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Dropped an SF L4 in the snow. Neighbor with gas powered snow blower sucks it in, chews it up, and spits it into a snowbank where it sits for a couple of weeks until the snow melts. Fired right up.

Wilkey

PS. Here's the thread.

Did your neighbour ask you to replace his snow blower? :crackup::crackup:

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
:devil: I'm sure that wasn't the first time a SureFire put up an admirable defense. :D

Wilkey

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a light that I subject to a pressure of 50 psi or so over and over with no problems. l . dive light :)

I had another dive light that flooded in salt water but the light kept on working (it was a DX light by the way).

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I drop my Fenix TK10 from a height of 1.6m on a regular basis onto a tiled floor, hasn't skipped a beat except the switch needed to be retightened. When it finally gives up I'll replace it with a TK11R5 and repeat the process.

JohnnyLunar

Newly Enlightened
I got tired of looking at a speck of something on the LED module inside my Fenix PD20 (older Q5 version). So I decided to put it in a vice and twist the head off to get at the LED. After 30 minutes with a vice, wrenches, duct tape, hose clamps, and cursing, the PD20 looked like it had been dropped in an industrial blender set on "puree". The anodizing was chewed up all over the light, and the head had been crushed in the vice to the point of not threading onto the body. Plus, I got nowhere with the head. That sucker is glued on tight.

After feeling like I had just destroyed a perfectly good $60 light, I spent another hour cleaning the threads, reforming the head, and using wrenches, grease, and brute force and anger to basically re-thread the head back onto the body. When everything was finally put back together, I dropped the battery back in the light, and it worked! I haven't had a problem with it since. But it will never be pretty to look at, and that stupid speck of something is still on the LED.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a brand new Sunwayman V10A flashlight. Never been EDC'd and has mostly been sitting in a drawer. While changing the batteries, I dropped the head 1 meter onto a wooden floor. This rather small drop was so minor that external casing was completely unaffected... no dents and no scratches of any kind in the anodizing.

However, this drop was enough to kill the light. Something came loose and is rattling around inside the head. The light no longer works at all and will need to be sent for repair.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the next few weeks, you will see some serious punishment of some HDS lights. Already done, but have to limit my flashtoon to a pic a day.
Let's just say I did some... ballistics tests.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I had a Sunwayman M40A, the light dropped onto a marble floor, literally 10 inches. Light quit working, had to return it. Don't think I'll ever buy another Sunwayman.
Last week a coworker dropped my HA bored SF 6P with Malkoff M61 from 12ft off a ladder, lens cracked but other than that it works great!! Gotta love the SF Malkoff combo!!

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Over the years my Arc AAA, Fenix E0, and Fenix E01 have all taken rides in the washing machine, with no problems.

Geoff

lightcurious

Newly Enlightened
I lost my temper and repeatedly slammed my Mag-Lite XL100 into a ladder step. :sssh: (I know, I know "mag-lite, groan").

It flickered when I moved it for about 20 minutes, and then it just decided it was fine, and went on to act as if nothing had happened, from that point on. It's been just over a month since I did that, and it's still fine.

mrpink

Newly Enlightened
I have a brand new Sunwayman V10A flashlight. Never been EDC'd and has mostly been sitting in a drawer. While changing the batteries, I dropped the head 1 meter onto a wooden floor. This rather small drop was so minor that external casing was completely unaffected... no dents and no scratches of any kind in the anodizing.

However, this drop was enough to kill the light. Something came loose and is rattling around inside the head. The light no longer works at all and will need to be sent for repair.

......wow. never gonna buy a sunwayman product. you have to build a super flimsy flashlight to have these failures and after looking at their super high prices im not f***ing impressed. at all.

I had a Sunwayman M40A, the light dropped onto a marble floor, literally 10 inches. Light quit working, had to return it. Don't think I'll ever buy another Sunwayman.
Last week a coworker dropped my HA bored SF 6P with Malkoff M61 from 12ft off a ladder, lens cracked but other than that it works great!! Gotta love the SF Malkoff combo!!

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the next few weeks, you will see some serious punishment of some HDS lights. Already done, but have to limit my flashtoon to a pic a day.
Let's just say I did some... ballistics tests.
Details? Did you test the rotary?

Latest posts