Would like to be able to solar charge with a VC4 but have a few ???

Face

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I keep toying with the idea to be able to do some solar charging for my cells but am unsure of the best way to do this. The below is a list of what I currently have:

Xtar VC4 charger

A selection of AAA and AA Eneloops and Li-ion (14500, 16340, 18650, 10440).

EasyAcc Monster 20000 USB Battery Pack (this can accept 2 x 2A inputs for double speed charging)
Anker 13000 USB Battery Pack

I don't have a solar panel charger yet, but was looking at the Anker PowerPort Solar 21W model.

But my main concern is using the solar panels to power the VC4 whilst charging the cells. Being in the UK, we get the ocassional cloud pass us by, so what happens if the power output drops from the solar panel and then comes "back" again. Is this good for the VC4 charger or the cells, especially the li-ions? Or is it a case of only using the solar panels on a completely cloudless day to stop the power levels fluctuating?

Would it be better to charge the USB battery packs from the solar panels and then use these battery packs to power the VC4 etc?

I hope that someone is able to offer some advice or tips to a solar newbie.

All the best,

Face

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.1amp is a lot of power for an usb power bank to supply for what could be a few hours to the vc4, but that is an maximum i suppose, charging 1 or 2 cells should reduce that.

I bought an "Cozypony 24W High Efficiency Solar panel Charger" from Amazon UK, it`s supposed to be 24watt but it`s more like 20watt, Anyway i just ordered an Soshine T2, I have an Soshine E4S power bank that can act as an UPS (it has an ups mode) so the odd cloud will not stop the power to my T2 charger.

The weather in the UK over the last few weeks has been crap, I have only had one chance to test my setup, I has my 24watt solar panel connected to my E4S power bank, and the E4S was connected to 2 smartphones and they were both charging at around 1amp.

I have an Soshine T2 charger on order but it could be a few weeks.

John.

EDIT: In the video below the guy tests a few solar panels and gives you an idea on what to look for in a good solar portable panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgRloFSeWoE

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There were a couple of threads on this the first part of the year. The general consensus was to use the solar panel(s) to charge the power bank(s), then use a power bank to run the charger, in your case the VC4. The big discussion came on stationary vs portable, and 12v panel output and storage vs USB output and storage. What it boiled down to was if you are planning a stationary charging situation, then rigid panels, 12v output, charge controller feeding a 12v deep cycle battery is the way to go. Then using something like a car adapter to get USB power. For a portable setup, obviously rigid panels would not be ideal. Folding panels with USB output to a power bank, then power bank to charge was the consensus.

I personally have a VC4 like you, a couple of 15,000 mAh power banks, and an Anker 15w folding solar panel. Read the fine print carefully! Even though my panel claims 15w, it will only put 10w (5v @ 2A) out the USB jack. I am thinking about getting another Anker panel so that I can charge both banks at the same time if needed. This is a viable solution for me, since I can charge all my cells, my phone, and my tablet from a power bank, as well as run a USB fan I have and several small USB Led lights for area lighting. It all worked great during the last power outage I had.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...........Would it be better to charge the USB battery packs from the solar panels and then use these battery packs to power the VC4 etc?.........
Yes. For the most part it would take a specially designed charger if going straight from raw solar output to Li-ion or NiMh charger. The issues being that raw solar output can vary widely in voltage with load, clouds, angle of sun. Best to capture that energy and store into a battery.

If not using it in a portable situation such as backpacking then you'll be able to get a bigger panel, solar charge controller and AGM deep cycle battery.

Last edited: