Would You Lend Anyone Your Flashlight ?.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
That’s what Olights are for :)
Olight i3e Eos is the 1aaa light I keep on me for loan out. Has one setting and lasts under an hour. Useful for someone to borrow for a task, but they won’t get too far before the battery dies and they bring it back. Some tool battery lights (Milwaukee) for sharing on a job site have low jack apps that track and disable the tool if it gets too far away from you. There are ways to be hospitable in loaning out gear without being gullible.

Olumin

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
I carry a MDC+VME and if anyone manages to break that id probably be more impressed then upset.

Most of my lights I would lend under my supervision but unsupervised only a few cheaper ones & not to complete strangers.

CHNeal

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Ive been a tradesmen or the manager of tradesmen for 40 years . Ive made my living and raised a family with my tools. I loan nothing to anyone. If someone needs help with something and I can help I do, but I will never loan a tool and a flashlight is a tool.
My neighbor needs a shovel Ill go next door and dig a hole. My buddy needs a mower while his is in the shop, Ill go mow his yard. Someone with a flat on the side of the road w/out a jack or a light Ill change a tire with a light in my mouth. That’s what being a decent human is about.
But I don’t loan tools.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
I will hand someone my good flashlights and allow them to use it in my presence, but I would not loan them out, because I don't have multiples such that I can afford the loss of one. If a friend has enough money to replace an $80-100 flashlight they borrow from me, then they can afford to buy their own, instead of borrowing mine.

If someone needs to borrow a flashlight when I am not there, then I will hand them one of the old units I no longer use or don't like, like the Inova X1 I use as my nightstand light, or the old Mini Mag-Lite I don't use. Those should be good enough for most utility purposes.

YAK-28

Enlightened
a couple of hours ago, my neighbor returned a zip lock baggie with my nitecore nu32 head light, a 18650 zebralight headlight, a
nitecore mt22a, a klarus k1x charger and cable and 2 18650 batteries i loaned him to use on a several week fishing and hunting trip.

everything was fine and he was greatly appreciative. we talked a few minutes and now we are planning a flashlight test weekend out at his cabin. i need to make a list of goodies to take and test and i won't have to worry about upsetting the other neighbors and local traffic.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
When it comes to helping a fellow soldier in the war against shadows and darkness……heck yeah I'll do it. It aint like I'm being asked to loan them my rent money. Plus you get what you give and all that kharmic jazz.

Now post apocolypse, and I'm down to my last flashlight with working batteries……that's quite possibly a different matter.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I will loan lights (and other tools) to a responsible colleague or friend, no problem. Not my nicest, best, stuff, but something serviceable to help them get the job done. I am keeping track though and I always impress on them the importance of bringing it back promptly when they're done, and to tell me honestly if there's an accident or any kind of damage/excessive wear/loss.
Now, there are certain people who I won't loan to due to past incidents, and others who I can tell from watching them work/seeing how they treat their own equipment that I SHOULDN'T loan to. The guy who's tools I'm always finding laying around at the end of the day? No way. The friend of a friend who lost all his rechargeable batteries a few weeks ago? Blacklisted. The guy who bent my ratchet using a 4 ft cheater bar? He's going to have to bend his own in the dark.

Spin

Enlightened
No, unless it's very necessary, neither of us leave the location, and I'll ask for it back at the first opportunity. I am very zealous of my stuff.
I live in an elderly condo community in florida. I tell my neighbors to purchase two small flashlights & a lot of batteries. Nobody would take my advice. When there's a blackout i don't answer my door or the phone.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I live in an elderly condo community in florida. I tell my neighbors to purchase two small flashlights & a lot of batteries. Nobody would take my advice. When there's a blackout i don't answer my door or the phone.
I spent some covid time in Florida, with my, more senior than me, father. One evening we had a couple of his senior friends over for dinner and bingo. We had a power outage as the sun went down. A pair of auto-on power failure lights came on. Our guests were pretty obviously impressed.

I ordered one from amazon for them as a gift, and when they returned the following week, they asked where they could get one. I was happy to show them that we cared enough about them to have already gotten one for them as a gift.

chip100t

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I will loan lights (and other tools) to a responsible colleague or friend, no problem. Not my nicest, best, stuff, but something serviceable to help them get the job done. I am keeping track though and I always impress on them the importance of bringing it back promptly when they're done, and to tell me honestly if there's an accident or any kind of damage/excessive wear/loss.
Now, there are certain people who I won't loan to due to past incidents, and others who I can tell from watching them work/seeing how they treat their own equipment that I SHOULDN'T loan to. The guy who's tools I'm always finding laying around at the end of the day? No way. The friend of a friend who lost all his rechargeable batteries a few weeks ago? Blacklisted. The guy who bent my ratchet using a 4 ft cheater bar? He's going to have to bend his own in the dark.
My brother does not care for his tools at all. He uses his screwdrivers as chisels and his chisels as bolsters and there is no power tool he has not broken through abuse. When he borrows tools he says he will treat them like his own, to which I reply that is what I am worried about.

the last tool of mine he broke was my paslode nail gun. I really don't know how he does it. He just had a gift for breaking things.

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I am really lucky. My brothers and I work well together. We all have tools, but my brothers are in the trades, and have more than I. My Bosch compound miter saw has spent time at each of our homes. About 35 years ago, one gave me a Makita electric screw gun (he had another, I think a Milwaukee) and some time later, a crowbar/pinch bar, pictured here.

1639356911293.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
My brother does not care for his tools at all. He uses his screwdrivers as chisels and his chisels as bolsters and there is no power tool he has not broken through abuse. When he borrows tools he says he will treat them like his own, to which I reply that is what I am worried about.

the last tool of mine he broke was my paslode nail gun. I really don't know how he does it. He just had a gift for breaking things.
LOL, I'd never modify one of your tools, but I do have a number of personally customized tools. I have a screwdriver honed into a wood chisel, a small wrench ground down into a "thin set" wrench, a 5/8" combination wrench cut in half, because I needed a stubby, and a bent nose- needle nose plyers, that the tips were ground down so they would fit into the holes of a snap ring, and one of the handles cut really short. This modification was done to gain access to a snap ring somewhere in the front end of my Bronco.

I'm sure that I cut down or otherwise modified other tools, but these are the ones that come to mind.

wjv

Enlightened
I have some older lights I'd share.
Two Fenix LD22, E12, two Nitecore SENS AAx2, L3 Illumination L10