Would you want a light like this? Would it work?

Enlightened
I have been kicking this idea around for some time. I even had a machine shop quote a prototype but it was over one thousand dollars. So I will share my idea to see if someone else wants to give it a try or help me with it. For all I know it may already exist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. The light would be very similar to a CNC123 in function and looks. It would take a drop in pill or sandwich for a light engine and use a kroll switch as the switching mechanism. For the head, I'd like to be able to use a 20 mm reflector with little or no modification (trimming off the legs), but also work with carlco or fraen optics as well.
The unique property that I thought of was a battery holder inside of the battery tube. It seems like so many of the high end custom flashlights require you to purchase a separate battery tube for different batteries. With the beauty and detail of these lights that tube can be quite expensive. Why not have the tube sized for the largest battery, say a 18650 li-ion. Then an inner copper tube with a solid bottom could be machined as a battery adapter/holder for any other size batteries you would want to use 18500, 17500, 14500, R123, AA, etc. For me this would be my ultimate EDC light. I EDC a CNC123 now and love it but I would like a little more run time without sacrificing the brightness and I think if it was a little longer it would feel better in your hand (like an E2e). What do you think? Would the inner battery adapter work? Would anybody else think this is a light they would like to have? If something like this exists please point me in that direction. The closet I've come to this is by using the battery tube of a scorpion with a cnc123 head (they are the same threads or they're very close).
Thanks,
Chris

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Would you want a light like this? Would it wo

This is an interesting idea, especially if the tube's length stays the same and you just change the inner sleeve.

Have you compared it to the UBH (unieversal battery holder)? Was it Dspeck that made/sold them? I can't remember all the details.

paulr

Flashaholic

Huh?? If the tube is big enough for an 18650, put an 18650 in it.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well I find the IMS reflectors do not work correctly without legs. Unless you like the spot to look light a doughnut

chesterqw

Flashlight Enthusiast

oh... so you mean something like the energizer's quick switch?

it can hold 2 aa or 2 c or 2 d /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif now... i wonder if anyone can do another one like dat in metal and not plastic....

DSpeck

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, I make the UBH. It works like this idea, although it does not fit the 18650, but anything smaller works.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've been hankering for a 1.5x123 or 2x123 battery tube that fits the CNC-123. I think the CNC-123 has now been eclipsed by Groovy, so little chance of seeing this actually happen.

The UBH is what you as long as you can live without the 18mm cells like 18500 and 18650.

Jon

Enlightened

My original idea would be to have a light large enough to accomodate something like a 18650 or even Pilas. That way you have one light, one battery tube and it all matches perfect. The reason for this is that some folks might have some money invested in Pilas or other batteries and I think it would suck to have to go out and buy batteries for every different light you own. This way if you already have 17670's or 18650's or Pilas or R123's, etc. the light looks the same and no additional battery tubes are needed. An internal copper battery spacer(s)/holder(s) would solve the different battery configurations.
The second part is that it would use sandwiches, so changing it or "updating" it with your latest led wouldn't be that hard. It would also be able to use a variety of ready available reflectors.
All that said, I guess it isn't/wasn't such a good idea from the responses or lack there of. From owning several lights this would have summed up much of what I was looking for. Thanks for the input/ideas and for the DSpeck UBH reference. Very nice product, just not quite what I had in mind.
Chris