Would you wear a man bag for your EDC?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alloy Addict said:
...Who is more manly? The man who does and wears what he wants and tells the critics to stick it. Or is it the man that worries what other people might say about him and possibly question his sexuality. I guess somebody should have told those early explorers and trappers that their possibles bags made them look like sissies. They would have probably taken the critic up to Green River.
Exactly. Funny you mention the early explorers and trappers -- when I started reading this thread I was picturing old engravings of them (explorers and trappers) in my head, with their bags. I also thought of men in primitive hunter/gatherer cultures throughout time, in all different climates, with their bags. While I can't prove it, in my reality map the use of bags seems far more likely to be a male innovation than a female one. What did early women need bags for when they just stayed in the cave and took care of the babies :D while the man was out covering ground hunting (with his bag of tricks). And what about that thousands of years old 'Ice Man' found in a glacier in Europe a few years ago? Didn't he have a little bag of cool things? Didn't he have something made of copper in a bag?

I associate bags with mobility and by their physical nature men are inherently more mobile than women. The nearly lifelong mobility of men is never interupted my child bearing or the need to care for infants, therefore, the bag is a manly thing!

On the shoulder holster:

Back in the early 90s when I was much more active I used to do scenic carpentry. I made a shoulder holster out of nylon mesh, ripstop and webbing. It's only purpose was to hold a small radio and keep the earphone cord short and close to my head. It worked really well, but whoever said that it would freak some whiners out was right. In the post 911 world I'd have to think twice about wearing something that could bulge a coat like a weapon may. LEO's are jittery enough anymore.

With modern materials I think it's a good concept with lots of potential, particulatly if the cargo is distributed to both sides like the old ******* shoulder rigs were.

Last edited:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
KDOG3 said:
...the "politically incorrect" EDC shoulder holster...
Maybe something like this...

joke32mn.jpg

When you need something for formal occasions...

joke7bm.jpg

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
Gosh, I think it is reaching a bit to put politics into this. I normally carry a backpack or a briefcase/messenger bag to work. It has work papers, sometimes a laptop, pens, flashlights (several), spares carrier, video IPOD, 2 or 3 cell phones, PDA, spare batteries, headphones, meds, glasses, and some other odds and ends. Current backpack is LL Bean and messenger bag is from Waterfield Designs. I also travel a lot so I take one or both of these plus a suitcase.

But there are times when I dont need all of that. Once a week or so I have to go to NYC for either meetings or martial arts lessons. I go by train so Im basically on foot/without a place to store stuff for a good chunk of the day. For that I usually take the cell phones, PDA, meds, Ipod, headphones, a light or two and spare batteries plus a steno pad or such if Im going to a meeting and martial arts shoes if Im going to that. Ive had a couple smaller bags Ive used over the years for that. Right now a black ballistic nylon and leather bag I picked up in Tokyo from a company called Head Porter. Very nice design with good pockets.

Ive been trying to cut down on what I carry and have been somewhat successful but it is still to much to carry with a vest I think.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
KDOG3 said:
You guys got me thinking of the "politically incorrect" EDC shoulder holster. That would really get the whiny, liberal pansies in a tizzy! Something that could carry a nice light like my L5, a Gerber multi-tool, my Fisher space pen and some other items that would make Hillary Clinton-types cringe. Maybe we can get Maxpedition or Spec-Ops to make one up.

As far as the vest goes, I would never wear one but has anyone checked out the 5.11 vest? How are they?

You would be surprised at how uncringing that would make some of us Hillary Clinton types. Although I dont think Im a pansy and I definately dont whine so maybe Im not exactly the type. ;) Do you like the L5 by the way? Im thinking of one of those for my next light.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
nerdgineer said:
Maybe something like this...

joke32mn.jpg

When you need something for formal occasions...

joke7bm.jpg

:grin2::grin2::grin2:

VERY CREATIVE!!!! When you deploy the light do you need to undo something first or do you just pull?

TonkinWarrior

Enlightened
Nerdgineer, you are one sick hoot!

You got my vote to replace Don Johnson in the forthcoming sequal to "Miami Vice."

I think it's titled "Miami Frights" (so named because recent market research has discovered the Sheeple-masses' reaction to your eeevil Shoulder-Holstered Assault Flashlight!).

Sub_Umbra, I actually think you were/might be onto something with that home-made nylon shoulder holster. To make it comfortable AND marketable, the trick would be to construct it of thin but durable material. Properly designed, it could practical and concealable.

I can see it now:

Your invention will force "blue" states to pass legislation regulating cheaply made, readily concealable flashlights AND the holsters that conceal 'em ("Sunday Night Specials"), strictly For The Common Good, of course. Then, they'll convene "Boards Of Review" (comprised of the usual technicallly-illiterate political toadies and soccer moms) to evaluate all such devices for possible "banning." And then a bunch of highly-informed experts (*cough) from Hollywood will take up the cause by producing world-saving, tear-jerking, unbiased (*cough) "docu-ganda" movies with titles like "Bowling For Assault Armpits" and "Killer Lumens 9/11" to rally the bleedin' hearts... complete with glowing reviews from snotty Cannes FilmFest judges, elitist U.N. diplo-crooks, and CNN.

Ah, the work of fertile minds.

GadgetTravel

Enlightened
You can now get shoulder holster type bags. Some travel places carry them. They are for concealing things like your wallet and passport from pickpockets. I think the problem isnt one of politics but of carrying capacity. Its hard to put much in them without walking around looking like you are doing an imitation of Lou Ferrigno posing at a body building contest.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
TinkinWarrior uttered:
"...Then, they'll convene "Boards Of Review" (comprised of the usual technicallly-illiterate political toadies and soccer moms) to evaluate all such devices for possible "banning.""

Yes, and remember, the bottom feeders who decided which firearms to be covered by the 'assault rifle ban' just sat around a table and looked at photos of guns that they knew nothing about. Then they banned the ones that looked the most dangerous to them regardless of the gun's capabilities.

By that standard all shoulder holster bags MUST GO. :sigh:

Hmmm... Maybe I'm going to have to reconsider my objections to the terms 'man-bag' and 'man-purse'. Whimpy PC names like that may be the only way to insure that anything useful won't be banned at some point in the future for just appearing too sinister. (just kidding)

Splusmer

Newly Enlightened
I've been carrying a Maxpedition Falcon-II backpack for a while, but recently went back to a Maxpedition Typhoon gearslinger (with a shoulder strap added) because of a work trip I'm on (figured my big rolling laptop case would count as my carry-on, and the Typhoon would make it as my "personal bag" where the Falcon-II--especially with all the stuff I have glommed onto mine--wouldn't).

Have played around with a Maxpedition Devil Dog and Proteus and MPB too, and always ponder other bags.

I have an Ogio "Flight Vest", but it's a) a tad too small to wear comfortably and b) pretty geeky/"poseur" looking (I don't mind too much, but my wife does). All black/gray, too, and I get pretty hot in it in any but the coolest of weather.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm nerdgineer reminds me of a certain Surefire VP.....

Anyway, who's gonna drop the email to the good gear companies suggesting this? I'm not really good at that kinda thing.

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
http://www.eholster.com/eholsters1.html

Seems like a good way to get a lot of unwanted attention from law enforcement.

I've thought about the multipocketed vest, but they would make me so hot in the summer. In the winter I use my coat, but in the summer heat and high humidity here I don't think I could take another layer.

drizzle

Enlightened
In 1981 I bought a leather shoulder holster type bag for traveling in Europe. I was mostly concerned about keeping my valuables safe. I was only ever asked about it once, by German Passport Control at the airport, IIRC. They asked me what was in it, I told them and they squeezed it to be sure.

I think I got some strange looks from Germans in Munich because it was warm and I wore it exposed over a T-shirt. At that time I really didn't care what kind of looks I drew. Now, I would probably be a little more low key.

frisco

Enlightened
I've been holding off on getting another bag till I really defined my needs.

- Small enough that I control it.... it doesn't control me.
- Large enough to hold enough gear for most common situations.
- Small enough to pack inside a backpack or suitcase.

The problem I find with allot of "Sling Type" bags is that they have allot of extra material and are 50% strap and extra material (example Fatboy)

I've been waiting for the new bag from Maxpedition called "Neatfreak" just picked one up yesterday from TadGear. I think this could be it!!! Besides fitting my needs in size and features, it is very modular with the use of Maxpedition and RipOffs ad ons.
The great part about the Neatfreak is that it doesn't have a fem man bag look nor a macho para military kill somebody look. It also doesn't look like backpacking/adventure equipment. I think it can pass without sticking out like a sore thumb in most situations that I am involved.
Check out the Maxpedition Neatfreak !!!! About $58.00

frisco

bubbacatfish

Enlightened
I've been tempted a number of times to order a jumbo fatboy but haven't yet, so so far NO for me. As for the shoulder holster ideea Civilian Lab makes nylon shoulder bags in (IIRC) white, orange & black, fairly certains cops would just point & laugh...
ohgeez.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
GadgetTravel said:
.... Do you like the L5 by the way? Im thinking of one of those for my next light.

I absolutely LOVE my L5 - now. When I first got it, it had an absolutely HORRIBLE donut hole. I sent it back and they simply swapped the head out for a new one but it was beautiful. No hole and a near perfect tint. Lots of light. I put a HAIII Z41 w/McGizmo 30 ohm 2-stage tailcap, which I recommend. Great light. You'll love it.

tracker870

Enlightened
Maxpedition Fatboy. I'm a big fan of vests also. I need some plain jane ones though, vs. shades/patterns of camo & tactical 5.11.

6/24, got one of those Columbia vests today, very nice for hot weather.

Last edited:

Alloy Addict

Enlightened
Cliffnopus said:
I have one (actually two) of the Scott eVest(s) and they're great. That's one reason why I don't need a man-bag (I hate that term also). I got a fleece one last fall and my wife and I liked it so much that we ordered two of the 237D (237 day or three season) jackets, one for her, one for me. They are very well made and have 33 pockets/each. The arms zip out and it turns into a vest.

Cliff

Cliffnopus,
How water repellant is the 237D? How would you say they fit, generous or tight?

edakoppo

Newly Enlightened
Sub_Umbra said:
The EDC is a custom made, one of a kind 'messenger bag' varient but with a lower center of gravity. It is made of the highest quality MIL spec nylon mesh and webbing. Even though it's nearly indestructable, because it's body is a reinforced net and can be seen through, I can carry it around in most stores that require bags to be checked. I'd be lost without it.

Got any pics? Sounds like a really good idea!

To all who were discussing shoulder holsters, why not just go with the Civilians at TADGear? Admittedly they'll draw attention as discussed, but why cobble some together when ubergeeks have already made them?