Wounded Lion Heart . . .need transplant?

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had quite a scare last night. Turned on my LH with a brand new and recently charged 150a and it wigged out. It flickered and flashed and when I tried to ramp up/down would start and stop then the switch finally stopped having any effect other than off/on.

I was so freaked I just put it down and figured to investigate later. Well it's later. The thing seems to work correctly now though I've only used it a few minutes. What happened? How could just leaving it on my non-magical nightstand fix it? Does it need a transplant, surgery, an owner with half a brain. Any ideas? I like this critter but don't want to have to "put it down" if it's an easily fixable problem.

TIA,
LT

bwaites

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you could send it to me for a thorough evaluation and comparison with my LH!:)

Of course, I might have a hard time finding your return address....

JK!!

Bill

garsea

Newly Enlightened
I had a very similar occurance happen to one of mine a couple of nights ago when I changed the batteries. I don't know if I accidentally pushed the button as I was screwing the unit together or what. But it started flashing very quickly and went through a series of wierd sequences before I finally got it working right again. The next day it did it again and since then has been working fine. I have no clue as to what it could have been.

MrMom

Enlightened
This is a confirmed problem. Charlies babies do protest when lonely and missing the fine Hawaii weather. Simply place your LionHeart within view of your monitor and load up a few Hawaii waterfront pictures. Your LH will feel right at home and then continue to provide you with many hours of light. I believe that MrBulks permanent suggested fix was to move to Hawaii.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your printed circuit board maybe turning as a result of removing and re-inserting the battery tube, thus causing the switch/button under the rubber cap to be engaged. Depending on the Firmware version of the light, your light can be going in program mode.

I would remove and re-insert the battery tube to see if you can duplicate the "wigging".
If so your choices *IMHO* are to carefully lube the o-ring at the PC board, or if water resistance is not important, you can remove the o-ring all together. Also you might try a thinner o-ring.

I have had one of mine do this, and I removed the o-ring for good. First I verified the switch is centered under the rubber button/cap, then dabbed superglue gel at four spots at the edge of the PC board where it mates with the inside of the head and it is fine now.

HTH

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
MrMom,

OK I've set it on a sand color towel turned a blow-dryer on it and gently misted the subsequent air all the while playing white noise on the radio to simulate the Hawaiian experience. It looks happy but you never know about it's inner light.

Beamhead,
Thanks for the info. I'll be attempt to get it to re-wig as per your instructions. After that we'll see.

Thanks,
LT

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

I meant to ask what difference the firmware would have on this problem. I've just got the original firmware, would the latest keep this from happening? I need a tool I can rely on so I'd like to figure this out and fix it.

I tried to get it to do it again but was unsuccessful. I'll tinker with it again later and just switch it out of rotation for the time being.

-LT

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lunal_Tic,
With the original firmware it would go into programming mode if the PC board is rotating and binding the switch.

Mine have the new firmware and the one that had this problem exhibited various problems when the switch was being bound.

If you can't duplicate the problem, I would not worry about it.
Although lubing the o-ring is always a good idea.
HTH

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Beamhead,

Thanks. I'll look into the firmware upgrade next time I'm in the States. Until then I'll go for the o-ring lube.

-LT

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine flickers when I screw-unscrew the head, I think the pin is not properly grounding the - lead. I broke my reflector playing though and I onlt have the problem while screwing and unscrewing the head.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Lunal, I think Beamhead's prognosis is spot-on. The boards were not permanently attached to the inside of the head in case we needed to get in there for some reason. Unfortunately as it turns out a few of them do rotate slightly when screwing/unscrewing the battery tube and can cause the switch to bind against the side of the hole, as though the switch is pressed on all the time which would explain the wigging out because it thinks you are trying to change interfaces. If you don't feel comfortable affixing the board (such as with a couple drops of Super Glue or similar as BeamHead said), then send it back to me and I'll do it for you. It is not a widespread problem but for those so affected I would like for them to be happy with their LionHearts.

Let me know privately and I will respond with my mailing address.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
I have no life... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your Avatar suggests a different story! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mr. Bulk,

I received your email. I'll tinker a bit more then upgrade the firmware on my return as suggested. Glad it won't need a transplant, med bills this year are already killin' me.

-LT