WTA: 70w Metal Halide

rizky_p

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi..

I just bough 70w Metal Halide complete with Ballast, 10uf Capasitor, ignitor etc and get it to work. I am amaze by how bright this 70w system...:) now i am curious want to try to run this 70W MH from my 300watt (modified sine wave) inverter. The question is will it work? what kind of load that the ballast or the whole system generate? inductive? i am using non-electornic ballast. I am afraid that the modified sine wave will damage the ballast. is it true?

Thanks.

W

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your capacitor is big enough to compensate your inductive ballast, your inverter will see a "purely" resistive load. However, because you don't need to compensate it fully, you don't and therefore your load will be slightly inductive.

Modified sine wave = square wave will pose a problem though. The ballasts losses will increase tremendously and other things might happen too. You should be ok to try it out but keep in mind that you might run out of somethings specifications.

If your inverter can take the inrush-current, you should be fine. If it can't, and 230 V is ok with you, drop me a PM and I'll make you a killer deal on electronic 70 W ballasts and/or 12 V inverters.

Last edited:
rizky_p

rizky_p

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Winny..:)

How big is big enough to compensate the inductive load generated by the circuit? i am using 10uf 250v capasitor in line with the AC input. i heard people installing capasitor in-line with the ballast output why is that?
how to tell that the MH lamp is pulse-start or probe-start? i assume mine is pulse-start because of the existence of ignitor..

W

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're quite welcome! My job is to help people out...

If you where running at 50 Hz, I could tell you what capacitor to use but I assume you are running at 60 Hz which mean other ballasts. However, the Americans where smart enough to standardize their ballasts so if you find anything like "ANSI ballast XX" written on it, where XX is two digits, it should be dead-easy to look it up on the internet how big capacitor you need. I would say that when you have reached cos phi = 0.9, anything more is overkill.

Ah, the American starting issues. Here we do beat you guys :)
Most US lamps use integreted starters (please do correct me on this one), so yes, PS is very likley.