Sold/Expired WTB: Upgrade Parts for MagLite 2 or 3 Cell Lights

scion

Newly Enlightened
I got a couple Maglites lying around at the house, I've been browsing this site many times and seems like a lot of my knowledge isnt enough to understand what PARTS i need to purchase to do an upgrade on a MagLite.

I really dont know the best way to go about upgrading a Maglite, I'm not great with in-depth customizations to these, seeing how i've never done one before.

I would like to know where I can purchase the CHEAPEST (im refering to cost) Aluminum Reflector upgrade for the Maglite.

Also I would like to know what types of Bulbs are easy DROP-INs for the Maglite.

If you have any upgrading suggestions i would like to know any information about a product or part your referring me and the cost of the part as well.

I appreciate all your support, this is a wonderful crowd of people! Thank you so much!

wingnut86

Banned
A simple ROP would be about the cheapest.

Kaidomain has reflectors in the $15 range with free shipping, mine from there is of good quality.

ROP bulbs are $10 plus shipping for the High and Low pack.

I prefer the 6AA Nimh ROP setup, but rather than using the Pelican bulbs, I use a Mag Xenon 5Cell, bright enough, over 100 lumens, and runs for ~2 hours on my Duraloops. And best of all, is available locally for like 4 bucks a pop!

Search ROP for more info, it's a fun, simple, cheap-ish build.

scion

Newly Enlightened
Ive been seeing a lot of "ROP" topics related to the Maglite. I've read thru a couple, However I come to the stumbling block...

How do i know what reflector would fit the Maglite? Is there a size reference or anything I could go by to help find the right one?

Of course, unless you have a link for me! :)

wingnut86

Banned
Any of the ones on this page will fit.

Although for a nicer beam, as in smoother, I would go for #17, the MOP. It will result in less throw however. For an even floodier beam, the OP (#1) one will fit the bill.

just be advised that shipping could take anywhere from 10days to a month.

When I have ordered from KD, I always receive my order in 10-12 days.

Paypal is required however.

Also, if building a ROP, a glass lens is required. The one in the link will work well. I use a borofloat lens from Lighthound though.

If you just use a Mag 5-6 cell bulb, the stock lens and reflector works.

This mod is of course for the 2d Mag.

Mag85 is a popular 3d mod, though, a little more expensive.

If you have any more questions, I will be happy to point you in the right direction.

*EDIT*
It seems as though a review for reflector #1 states that it is more like a Light Orange peel, rather than just Orange peel. I personally like the MOP I ordered from there, produces a very nice Surefire like beam when adjusted right...

Last edited:

wingnut86

Banned
However, if throw is what you are after, the 5Cell Mag Xenon and ROP Low bulbs throw like crazy in a smooth reflector!

scion

Newly Enlightened
Yea I want to go wih a really good Throw light!

So the smoother the reflector the farther it will throw?

I want to go with really good "pointing" distance light beam if possible.

I will look into ordering the reflector soon i figure out which one and the bulb, and glass lens.

scion

Newly Enlightened
I ordered the Glass lens. I have not ordered the aluminum reflector. I will wait for a reply on which type will give me the best "beam pointer" type of effect.

I want distance and a really tight beam!!

scion

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you might want to research doing an aspherical lens mod.
This will give you the tightest/farthest throwing beam in a [email protected] coupled with a Cree XR-E R2 led.

ive seen that aspherical lens on kaidomain! i wasnt sure if that would give a really tight beam of light or not, would it be comparable to say its like a spot light?