WTS: Limited Run Eye40vn V2

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Selfbuilt tested MM15vn at 7400 Lumen OTF
Eye40vn was estimated at 7000 LED Lumen and is probably 6-6500 OTF.

So the EYE40vn is suppose to be less slight. Shouldn't be much though.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
im buying high drain because i just like them lol

vinh that 7000 lumen is stage 2 right? mines stage 1 5500 lumens right?

Last edited:

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's true, but he tested the dedome mm15vn at 6200 lumens... both of mine, and all three I handled have all been dedomed. So not as much of a difference there. The X60vn's I have both win out, slightly, but not a huge difference, again based on strictly my mk1 eyeball, and ceiling bounce.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm the same way. I just buy tons of 20r. I never run my lights dead, so I just use high drain all the time.

If I know I need long runs , I have a dozen or so Panasonic 3400mah unprotected, but I use 20r the most.

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
My new toy (7000L EYE40vn PDTc) was at my door today when I arrived home today. Topped off some NCR18650PFs for the new guy and sent it out to play with a stock TK75 v1 and a TK75vn (domed 4000K).

I didn't experience the WOW that many seem to have when firing up the EYE40, maybe because I'm already acquainted with the prodigious output of the TK75s. In fact the turbo output of the 3 lights was somewhat similar. The tight hotspot of the EYE 40 was a surprise. From various photos in the Vinh mod threads I expected the hotspot to be larger and less distinct.

Most of the night's viewing was of deciduous tree crowns at an estimated 50yds to 150yds. The hotspot of the stock TK75 and the EYE40vn seemed to be roughly the same size. The EYE40vn had a bit more throw. The TK75vn had a significantly larger hotspot. It seemed that the TK75vn had more throw, however the different source temps and vegetation tints played tricks with my perception. I couldn't really come to a firm conclusion regarding throw of the EYE40vn vs. the TK75vn. With the substantially larger hotpot the TK75vn did seem to chuck out a somewhat more light though.

Tint of the EYE40vn was a tad warmer (or greenish) compared to the stock TK75, which appeared a bit cooler with a bit of violet. The 4000K TK75vn was obviously warmer leaning toward orangish-yellow. I really prefer something more neutral like the neutral D40Avn which IIRC is reported to be around 5000k. However it is interesting that one's perception of beam color depends on which beams are being compared. And after a couple minutes it doesn't really seem to matter.

On turbo, the EYE40vn is reported to quickly get very hot. It does get hot, but not much more so than the TK75vn. At least in the short 1-4 minute sessions they were in turbo. They were never too uncomfortable to hold. The EYE40vn seemed to cool pretty quickly, a definite plus. My turbo usage will be mainly in those shorter sessions so heat shouldn't be a problem.

A big plus for the EYE40vn vs the TK75 is the size. While I've always loved the TK75 output (stock or mod), I've hated carrying it. It doesn't balance well in my hand and the barrel seemed too thick. The shorter EYE40 is much easier to hold, even thought the barrel seems to be the same diameter as the TK75. It should also be easier to pack in checked baggage (once I find the right poly container for it.)

Things I wish the EYE40 had are lanyard hole(s), a on/off side switch and the D40Avn beam temp.

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
My new toy (7000L EYE40vn PDTc) was at my door today when I arrived home today. Topped off some NCR18650PFs for the new guy and sent it out to play with a stock TK75 v1 and a TK75vn (domed 4000K).

I didn't experience the WOW that many seem to have when firing up the EYE40, maybe because I'm already acquainted with the prodigious output of the TK75s. In fact the turbo output of the 3 lights was somewhat similar. The tight hotspot of the EYE 40 was a surprise. From various photos in the Vinh mod threads I expected the hotspot to be larger and less distinct.

Most of the night's viewing was of deciduous tree crowns at an estimated 50yds to 150yds. The hotspot of the stock TK75 and the EYE40vn seemed to be roughly the same size. The EYE40vn had a bit more throw. The TK75vn had a significantly larger hotspot. It seemed that the TK75vn had more throw, however the different source temps and vegetation tints played tricks with my perception. I couldn't really come to a firm conclusion regarding throw of the EYE40vn vs. the TK75vn. With the substantially larger hotpot the TK75vn did seem to chuck out a somewhat more light though.

Tint of the EYE40vn was a tad warmer (or greenish) compared to the stock TK75, which appeared a bit cooler with a bit of violet. The 4000K TK75vn was obviously warmer leaning toward orangish-yellow. I really prefer something more neutral like the neutral D40Avn which IIRC is reported to be around 5000k. However it is interesting that one's perception of beam color depends on which beams are being compared. And after a couple minutes it doesn't really seem to matter.

On turbo, the EYE40vn is reported to quickly get very hot. It does get hot, but not much more so than the TK75vn. At least in the short 1-4 minute sessions they were in turbo. They were never too uncomfortable to hold. The EYE40vn seemed to cool pretty quickly, a definite plus. My turbo usage will be mainly in those shorter sessions so heat shouldn't be a problem.

A big plus for the EYE40vn vs the TK75 is the size. While I've always loved the TK75 output (stock or mod), I've hated carrying it. It doesn't balance well in my hand and the barrel seemed too thick. The shorter EYE40 is much easier to hold, even thought the barrel seems to be the same diameter as the TK75. It should also be easier to pack in checked baggage (once I find the right poly container for it.)

Things I wish the EYE40 had are lanyard hole(s), a on/off side switch and the D40Avn beam temp.

The Eye40vn should be very hot by four minutes...If yours is not that hard then it seems that it's not running at max potential...

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
After 90 seconds mine gets pretty warm, but not uncomfortably so. At 4-5 minutes freestanding turbo it does get hot enough that you don't really want to hold the head more than 5-10 seconds. The body I can hold no problem.

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
After 90 seconds mine gets pretty warm, but not uncomfortably so. At 4-5 minutes freestanding turbo it does get hot enough that you don't really want to hold the head more than 5-10 seconds. The body I can hold no problem.

If the heads gets uncomfortably hot to hold either turn it off or at least turn it down.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have found that levels 1 and 2 are OK to run unattended. 3 and 4 will get too hot and should only be used for turbo bursts

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
Heat is not an issue for me (given my intended use) with this light. I had originally commented that the light and heat did not seem as impressive to me as had been reported by others. This is likely due to already having experience with TK75 and TK75vn. I find the throw and spill of the 3 well within the same ballpark, with the EYE40vn somewhere between the 2 TKs. Guess I thought the 7000lm of the EYE40vn would be significantly greater than what I observed with the TKs, and given the reported temps that light would be unusable in 2-3 minutes. I know the 7000lm is calculated and perhaps the dedoming gives it quite the hit. Still the EYE40vn output is impressive given the size of the light.

After my second and third time messin with the EYE40 (timed 4 min.) the heat output did seem higher than my first impression.

I also find the D40Avn to get pretty warm on high and this little light really surprises me when it plays with the big lights. Wish I could meld 4 of these together.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check jmpaul320 readings, the eye40 has way less lumens than originally thought.

The 5800lm version turned out to be 4600lm

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think to a great degree the dedoming and tint are to blame for the lower numbers. Leave the dome on, and you get at least 10% higher output, but at the cost of throw.

I find my 7000 lumen version to be about the same, maybe a tad less bright vs the X60vn's.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you check jmpaul320 readings, the eye40 has way less lumens than originally thought.

The 5800lm version turned out to be 4600lm
I think if it was dome on 5800 emitter lumen would be correct. But some is lost from dedome and reflector optics.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need to establish a dome vs dedome baseline. Same light, same tint, 6000k, let's say, one light dome on, one dome off, driven the same, and with the same batteries.

Maybe Vinh could send you two twins to test.

It's my personal guesstimate, but I put reflector/glass loss at 5-10%.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need to establish a dome vs dedome baseline. Same light, same tint, 6000k, let's say, one light dome on, one dome off, driven the same, and with the same batteries.

Maybe Vinh could send you two twins to test.

It's my personal guesstimate, but I put reflector/glass loss at 5-10%.

yeah i would say its around 10%, but it really depends on the light... the larger the reflector - the more OTF lumens are lost... just look at the tn35vn vs the k40mvn... same led, roughly same drive current - so why is k40m brighter by around 10%? My guess is because the reflector has less surface area, so more light goes out the front directly from the emitter rather than bouncing around the reflector

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
To be honest I'm kind of stumped by that. The difference in output between the K40 and TN35.

The one you tested, does it have Vinh's new copper heatsinking? I got one on this email subscriber sale, now I'm kind of torn whether to pay extra for the heatsink.

vinhnguyen54

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
One of the main reason I have not built a sphere and get a good light meter is because I know I just wont have the time for the measurements. I also don't want my numbers to give misleading info if I make a mistake. I always feel it's more fair to have a 3rd party testing the lights such as Rodney, Paul or Eric/selfbuilt. :)