WTS: V11Rvn & RRT01vn - 900 Lumen Pocket EDC

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the same idea about stacking the extenders but I think they'd have to be bored for 18650 (18650 wouldn't fit in the light itself w/o boring) and then a sleeve made for 14500/AA. But if you pursue this I might be interested in getting in on it because options are good!
Yeah, the V11R body has to be bored out for an 18650. The AA extenders have an even smaller ID to keep an AA from rattling. I've seen where others use 2 AA extenders, so it can be done. I'd prefer an 18650 body, but that may cost way to much to machine. An 18650 extender would be better than 2 AA extenders, and may be much more affordable than a complete body.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the V11R body has to be bored out for an 18650. The AA extenders have an even smaller ID to keep an AA from rattling. I've seen where others use 2 AA extenders, so it can be done. I'd prefer an 18650 body, but that may cost way to much to machine. An 18650 extender would be better than 2 AA extenders, and may be much more affordable than a complete body.

I'm still waiting for the one extender I ordered to show up, but I did ask before I ordered it (would have ordered two if I'd got a better answer) and apparently it is one solid piece, no removeable sleeve to keep the AA/14500 from rattling. Maybe this is a suggestion to be made to Sunwayman, make it two pieces, an extender with a removeable sleeve, so that you *could* stack two extenders and use a 16650 or 17670? I'd buy two of those. Or, like I said, if anyone wants to take the initiative to make a 17670 compatible tube and/or offer boring services for the existing extenders (and could provide a sleeve for an AA) for a reasonable price, I'd be interested.

Tmack

Flashlight Enthusiast
e8ape5en.jpg

Like this? :p

And I have a d25cvn and I only run 16340 in it. Never had a single problem. I don't think I've put a primary in it.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that's about what the old Fenix light that I just retired looks like. Gave it to my girlfriend as she didn't have any EDC at all...

revilo951

Newly Enlightened
Sigh...

If only Vinh could get RRT-01.

I have about a dozen 18650 extenders just waiting to be used! :shakehead

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I pm'd you about them but eventually decided to go with the V11R... Too bad they're not interchangeable :(

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own, visually, is nowhere near 900 lumens (LED or OTF), if I had to guess it's around 500-600 lumens tops, very close to a stock sc52w on turbo. JPaul's sample was also low iirc.

jmpaul320

Flashlight Enthusiast
My own, visually, is nowhere near 900 lumens (LED or OTF), if I had to guess it's around 500-600 lumens tops, very close to a stock sc52w on turbo. JPaul's sample was also low iirc.

Both the stock v11r and the v11rvn sample I had tested around the same otf lumen... IIRC around 500-600 OTF, the v11rvn having superior throw though from being de-domed

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is dome on, figured there is no point in dedome in such a small reflector, xml light, but that's spot on to what I guessed in terms of output.

I also bought a couple of stock ones after, and was very surprised that the stock are very nearly almost as bright, although the VN version does have a nicer tint (to me) due to 4000k led.

RRT01 is about the same as well.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might be a bit until I can get a good beam shot and all I have is the cell phone camera... but I'll see what I can do. I had the same idea about stacking the extenders but I think they'd have to be bored for 18650 (and I'm pretty sure I was told that they'd have to be 17670s, 18650 wouldn't fit in the light itself w/o boring) and then a sleeve made for 14500/AA. But if you pursue this I might be interested in getting in on it because options are good!

Well, before I could take any beamshots, my phone bricked itself while waiting in a doctor's office... so it might be a while.

In other news my AP-05 extender showed up yesterday and it is in fact all one piece so would need to be bored to use a 16xxx or 17xxx cell.

RCantor

Enlightened
So far it's everything I expected. Not an 'impress your friends' light really although full power is still decently bright, but it's exactly what I wanted and works exactly as I expected. I was a little concerned as reports said that the v11r didn't go as dim as the RRT-01 but I'm happy with the dim setting (can use to read in a dark room) and on high it's bright enough for any EDC duty. Vinh will cringe maybe but I'm going to EDC the crap out of this one and it'll acquire a nice patina rather rapidly :). Love the 219 and I'm glad I didn't compromise.

Could you post a beam shot? I really want V11Rvn, but I've been disappointed with the tint on all of my XP-G and XM-L lights except for one(none of them from Vinh though, yet). I had been debating between 4000k & 5000k with dome on, but may prefer a 219 instead. I love the 219, although I only have a 219B. From what I've read both the 219A & 219B are neutral, the A is slightly more warm and the B slightly more cool. If/when I get a V11Rvn I'll be boring it out and making an extention tube, or using 2 AA extenders for use with a 18650.

The 219 V11RVN may not be an "impress your friends light" (unless they're sophisticated enough to recognize the high CRI) but the XML certainly is.

Instead of being 'boring' why not convince Nguyen to do one of these for you? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378711-WTS-V25Cvn-1500L-Infinitely-Variable You get a V11RVN/16340 for EDC and the V25CVN/18650 for runtime :) Get them both. You know you wanna :)

As far as CCT goes, split the difference and get a 4500K. It's not high CRI but my experience has been that accurate color rendition is not as important as being able to tell the difference between two similar colors and the 4500 is the best tint for that in the XML. The XML 4500 is far superior to the 219 in being able to distinguish objects in the forest from each other. A green pawpaw fruit looks similar to the leaves, even in the daytime. At night with a 4500K XML light the fruit stands out dramatically from the leaves but with other XML tints and the 219 they don't look different. the 4500 lets you pick out a dark mushroon from the surrounding leaf litter better than any other CCT and better than the 219. White mushrooms stand out even better with cool CCT emitters but the 4500 distinguishes them easily as well. The 4500 has minimal back scatter in the fog (much less than a cool emitter but slightly more than a 3500K emitter).

The 4000K tint in the XPG is a beautiful, creamy coloe but I haven't tested it as thoroughly as I tested the different XML tints and I don't know if the XML2s are the same as the first XMLs but the 4500K XML2s seem to perform the same as the first generation XML.

BTW, I got the RRT01VN and V11rVN and was going to try them out and sell the one that lost the comparison. The RRT01VN turned on in my pocket despite the ring stiffening so the V11RVN won the EDC contest. Then I realized that the RRT01VN was the perfect nightstand light so of course I kept them both. :) I also bought the V25CVN and carry that as my primary light in night time forest work. These lights are my workhorses and I love them. I use other Vinh lights for other things, like spotlighting at short (dedomed XPE P60 for day, K3 head with MTG2 for night), medium (K40VN on low) and far (K40VN on high) distances, lighting up huge areas (MM15VN, X60VN XML and eventually X60MVN) and I have a 6500K P60 for finding light colored mushrooms at long distances.

Last edited:

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 219 V11RVN may not be an "impress your friends light" (unless they're sophisticated enough to recognize the high CRI) but the XML certainly is.

Instead of being 'boring' why not convince Nguyen to do one of these for you? http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?378711-WTS-V25Cvn-1500L-Infinitely-Variable You get a V11RVN/16340 for EDC and the V25CVN/18650 for runtime Get them both. You know you wanna
The V25Cvn is to big for EDC, and I want an 18650 light for EDC. There are a few other options I'm considering, but I really like the V11Rvn, other than battery type. The other variable option is a Nitecore SRT 5. I don't really have a need for any lights other than EDC (preferably 18650 & AAA, maybe even a AA), and emergency lights (AA & AAA). I use my EDC light for everything because I have it when I need it.

Last edited: