X7VN 15,000 Lumen Pop Can Light Video Review, Info and Beam Shots

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
As some of you may know, there's a 15,000 lumen pop can light that has been available for several months now. I'll say this up front... It's not unimpressive. With that said, get your high-drain cells warmed up, because your going to need them.

In the testing within the video, you can see that the X7VN maxed out the Samsung 30Q and provided fairly substantial additional output when using LG HE2 which are rated for, and able to push, more amps. What were the results and what does the beam look like? Impressive! But take a look for yourself. Any opinion on this light? If you like the review, head on over to YouTube to like and subscribe. There'll be more soon.
Watch on YouTube

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Very cool IL, will check the beam video part out in a bit. Just a thought here, you do loose a bit through the magnets so the cells are restricted some. Without the magnets(i know they wont make contact without in this light) would give a higher output still...............not that it needs it!:)

EDness

Newly Enlightened
Very cool IL, will check the beam video part out in a bit. Just a thought here, you do loose a bit through the magnets so the cells are restricted some. Without the magnets(i know they wont make contact without in this light) would give a higher output still...............not that it needs it!:)
From my measurements a couple days ago, I only lost maybe 1A at most with magnets. But when I tested with batteries that I bought with button tops installed, i lost 5A+! On lower modes it's fine, but if a flashlight has direct drive...that's where it'll make a difference. I'm sticking with magnets for my X7vn.

Update: The button tops I mentioned above are unprotected cells.

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks ven. I have some LG HE2s that I have soldered some raised contacts to also. I forgot about those. I may have to compare and see if there is a difference. I actually use fairly heavy duty little magnets so I suspect that if they are hindering flow of amps, it is only very slightly.

I don't know much about cells that have protection circuits beyond the basics, and they make a great marketing point too. However I don't think very many protected cells out there will work with this light. I know it's nothing to do with your point but it just got me thinking. I should mention, only unprotected cells for X7VN.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review!!

I am surprised In regards to batteries used and your results[lumen output].

This is based on HKJ's comparator.

With the exception of the Sony VTC6, which you do not have, the 30Q'S out perform all of your other batteries on HKJ's comparator.That includes the LG HG2 which is rated @20a.

Even though the 30Q is rated for 15a, it can still sustain 20a for a period of time.

My opinion is based on HKJ'S TESTS[COMPARATOR]. I am very surprised the the LG HE2 would have ~ 900 more lumens than the 30Q @ 30 seconds!

It would be interesting to see what the outputs are after 3, 4 or 5 minutes[using a fan].:naughty:

Like VEN mentioned,,,maybe the magnets have something to do with it,,,but then again, I think you used magnets for ALL your FT that you tested!

Last edited:

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the review!!

I am surprised In regards to batteries used and your results[lumen output].

This is based on HKJ's comparator.

With the exception of the Sony VTC6, which you do not have, the 30Q'S out perform all of your other batteries on HKJ's comparator.That includes the LG HG2 which is rated @20a.

Even though the 30Q is rated for 15a, it can still sustain 20a for a period of time.

My opinion is based on HKJ'S TESTS[COMPARATOR]. I am very surprised the the LG HE2 would have ~ 900 more lumens than the 30Q @ 30 seconds!

It would be interesting to see what the outputs are after 3, 4 or 5 minutes[using a fan].:naughty:

Like VEN mentioned,,,maybe the magnets have something to do with it,,,but then again, I think you used magnets for ALL your FT that you tested!
Thanks Capo. I can tell you I honestly don't know too much about HKJ's comparator. So I can only speak to results for the testing I've done. I'm also aware that Samsung did not embellish their maximum amperage ratings on their 30Q cells and that 30Q are side by side with LG HG2, before any critical testing to determine which might be the most advantageous cell. However, the HE2/HE4 will beat both of these when it comes to supplying the most amps continuously right down to the lower voltages. They might not last as long, as these cells are 2,500MAh vs 3,000MAh but in my observations, this difference while noticeable, is certainly nothing breakthrough.

In all tests I've done where the most possible amps that can be sourced equals the better the result, HE2/HE4 have exceeded the performance of 30Q/HG2. Again, I can only report the results that I've seen. In the tests for this video all the cells used the exact same four magnets swapped between them for each shot. All cells were charged to 4.2V with the same charger (Liitokala Engineer). All cells were rested for at least an hour and then primed in the X7VN on turbo for 20 seconds and rested for a couple minutes before making each shot with the actual test. This is so the cells were neither hot nor cold see. lol. But yeah, it's how I did it, testing should have been fair. Obviously the outcome was a noticeable difference for this specific test.

I agree with you though that testing these cells through the course of their depletion would provide more breadth. I can give you these additional numbers that I forgot to include in the video. It's the lumen output I got with X7VN using HG2 3,000MAh at various stages of depletion.
3.85V= 12,100
3.7V= 10,844
3.6V= 9,600
3.4V= 6,403
3.25V- 5,400

My impression of most of today's high drains... the overall picture is simply that it's all good as long as you stick with the big names. I don't notice too much of a downside with one vs the other. Unless of course you absolutely have to have something for a very specific application.

CREEXHP70LED

Enlightened
The button top Q30's don't need a magnet correct? Just the flat tops like you have in the video? Thanks.

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam is decent - doesn't wash out the immediate surroundings like some other massive-output soda can lights. nice. thanks for the review.

Offgridled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Incredible review again bro. You really put a lot of information and thought into these. I love your beam shots and always learn a lot from you I've had questions about. Keep the coming. Great reads from a great guy..

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
The beam is decent - doesn't wash out the immediate surroundings like some other massive-output soda can lights. nice. thanks for the review.
Most of the shots were distance shots. This light has very excellent throw for a pop can flooder. I think if I were looking at objects more up close it would wash out more. However, one would simply use lower modes for such instances and the beam would look nice again. Glad you liked the video and thanks for your comment.

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
Incredible review again bro. You really put a lot of information and thought into these. I love your beam shots and always learn a lot from you I've had questions about. Keep the coming. Great reads from a great guy..
Thanks OG. Still revising and updating my format as I go, but try to provide some useful information along with a fully saturated beam shot section. I'll have a video showing how to make all your own diffuser caps for any of your flashlights next. Thanks for stopping by.

gunmike1

Newly Enlightened
From my measurements a couple days ago, I only lost maybe 1A at most with magnets. But when I tested with batteries that I bought with button tops installed, i lost 5A+! On lower modes it's fine, but if a flashlight has direct drive...that's where it'll make a difference. I'm sticking with magnets for my X7vn.

Update: The button tops I mentioned above are unprotected cells.

I was looking at the Sony VTC6 with button tops from mountain electronics. Are you thinking getting the flat tops with magnets is a better option than buying the button top version for those cells?

Impossible lumens

Enlightened
I was looking at the Sony VTC6 with button tops from mountain electronics. Are you thinking getting the flat tops with magnets is a better option than buying the button top version for those cells?
I would think you would get the same result, but for convenience sake I'd get the button tops if buying specifically for this light. VTC6 should be very similar to the 30Q and HG2 I tested, if not a wee bit better.

EDness

Newly Enlightened
For this particular light, either one will work fine. With flashlights with springs on the driver(no bypass), button top just adds to the resistance. I did more test with other lights after my post. I like the magnets solution since I don't use the light too often and I can use the batteries on other lights.