Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Xeno E03 219 + Fenix AD401 diffuser = ?

Will this diffuser fit it okay and stay on okay, and what will the new diffused beam pattern look like (verbal description or picture) ?

Yes and yes but the glare out the side from the thing is horrible. They had a version which had black sides (similar but not the AD03) that worked much better. It was in their accessories gift pack which came with a white and orange wand diffuser, red filter and the black sided one.

The beam pattern is ugly and you still see a bit of a hot spot. Splotchy is how I would describe it, but still quite useful if it wasn't for the glare.

AmperSand

Enlightened
Here's an indoor beamshot comparing the E03 and L10 - both Nichia 219 on high about 12' away from door. I shot this during the day and it was not completely dark in here so they may be a little washed out.

And the ring on the E03 when wall hunting (I don't notice it at all during normal use):

e03_ring.jpg

And a useful comparison:

e03_l10_size.jpg

I had that awful ring on my e03 219 also.
Reflector isnt sitting deep enough. I removed the plastic isolating disc between the reflector and emitter, beam is now flawless.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened

Yes and yes but the glare out the side from the thing is horrible. They had a version which had black sides (similar but not the AD03) that worked much better. It was in their accessories gift pack which came with a white and orange wand diffuser, red filter and the black sided one.

The beam pattern is ugly and you still see a bit of a hot spot. Splotchy is how I would describe it, but still quite useful if it wasn't for the glare.

icon14.gif
Thank you for your help.

Would something like a strip of black electrical tape around the side appreciably reduce the glare ?

It sounds like the combination of the glare and the splotchy beam pattern could cancel the special benefits of the Nichia 219 ? If it were possible to minimize the glare with something like electrical tape, is the splotchy/ugly beam pattern appreciable enough that it would cancel the benefit of the Nichia 219 ?

In the post above mine, AmperSand says that the reflector is not sitting deep enough and that he has a ring in the pattern. Could that be partly responsible for the splotchy beam pattern with the AD401 on the E03 ?

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Would something like a strip of black electrical tape around the side appreciably reduce the glare ?

Yes, electrical tape would help it a lot. Even the one with black sides has glare, mainly from the hinge.

The splotchy beam pattern happens with any light, and it will cancel out the ring at least. You probably wouldn't notice it is use but DC-fix film would probably be smoother though.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
RoadStar -- thanks for the tip.

Just got my clip. Not exactly deep pocket but it works fine.

Had to remove one of the two O-rings. Unsure what effect that may have.

Glad I could help, good to know that Lumapower clip is still available...
after a little over two years use my clip finally broke after snagging it on something and it bent outward. Glad I ordered 2 clips back when then! maybe I should order some more while the can still be had.

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
Are the E03 with Nichia 219 still available nywhere?

I'm getting my parents a couple of these for around the house, size + mode sequence + clicky seems perfect for them. I figured I'd just order from Illumination Supply since I've had a good experience with them (and it'd come out to $27 per light for two E03, with shipping, after discount)...

But then I thought it'd be nice to try a Nichia 219 for the first time, IS only has the XM-L T6 NW version tho...

Last edited:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are the E03 with Nichia 219 still available nywhere?

They are a special run from EDC+ so you won't find them anywhere else. Currently out of stock but there will be more coming, perhaps in the next couple of months.

Impulses

Newly Enlightened
Cool, thanks, I'll keep an eye out for them... I'd get an L3 Illumination L10 just to try out the Nichia 219 for cheap but the E03 seems more useful for my purposes (if I want small I'll go for an i3/AAA/etc light) and they aren't readily available either, though IS does have the black one in stock (rest of the colors are out stock and a couple of the other stores that stock it all seem to charge too much to ship to Puerto Rico).

Kinda hard to justify getting too many of these when I can get something like an Olight S15 (with clip, magnet, and extender tube) for $5 more but I could probably find use for one myself... I don't really collect lights (yet?), everything I've bought has had a specific use/place. My parents couldn't give a flip about the tint tho so the XM-L will do for them. Let's see, two of these plus a Quantum D2 should get me right near $100 for free shipping... :D

Last edited: