Xeno E03 (1xAA, 1x14500) - XP-G R5 Neutral White - Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS +

namida

Newly Enlightened
My sibs and I bought a pair for my father and mother. These will be our gifts to them this Christmas with a sanyo charger and a pack of XX eneloops thrown in. They are easy to operate, good beam, and I think the build is really nice. Thanks for the review! :)

DAN92

Enlightened
I bought the version of the Xeno E03 with XM-L HDE U2 and T6.

The switch is more efficient and so much better to do with time.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
While researching the E03 XML and E15 XML for someone who would be using it with AA eneloops, I found comments from an E03 owner whose observation is that his E03 is not regulated.

I'm puzzled by those findings because in selfbuilt's graphs on page one on an eneloop the E03 seems to do a great job of maintaining a steady level of brightness.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?323655-AA-Bug-Out-Bag-Best-Light/page2
TG; I'll add my support for the E03. It's a little cannon on a 14500; I have a neutral one in black and it's my secondary/backup light. I keep it in a Quark AA holster on the strap of my EDC bag for times when I need a lot of light but not a lot of run time. The only things about it I don't like for EDC use are that it's got no real low-low, especially on a 14500, and it's not regulated, so it dims as the cell in it depletes. I think it does this less with an Eneloop, but I've never really run mine with one much, so I can't say. With an AWP 14500 it definitely does get noticeably dimmer, on all settings, as the cell depletes.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?325904-What-warm-or-neutral-helmet-mounted-torch
The E03 is a dedicated 1xAA light and is available with cool, neutral, or warm tint emitters. You can use a li-ion 14500 in them to make them into a real pocket rocket, but they give decent performance on 1xAA as well, and longer run times. They aren't regulated though, so as the battery depletes they get progressively dimmer [...]

The E15 is a fancier version of the E03. As far as I know it uses the same set of emitter options and driver, so it will perform just like an E03. The difference is it comes with an extender for the body, so you can run it as either a 1xAA or 2xAA light [...]

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
While researching the E03 XML and E15 XML for someone who would be using it with AA eneloops, I found comments from an E03 owner whose observation is that his E03 is not regulated. I'm puzzled by those findings because in selfbuilt's graphs on page one on an eneloop the E03 seems to do a great job of maintaining a steady level of brightness.
I suspect both commentators you quoted are referring to 1x14500 specifically (it isn't entirely clear from the quotes, but that seems to be the context). As you'll see in my runtimes, it is largely direct-drive-like on the higher voltage 14500 source. But all versions of this light should show comparable regulated performance on NiMH, as shown in this review.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
icon14.gif
Thank you, selfbuilt, for your help. That is a relief to hear.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just ordered one of these with the Nichia 219. Since I got my L10, I fell in love with this tint!! However, the UI and operation of the L10 really disappointed me. Although I really prefer forward clickies, this Xeno E03 looks like a good fit for me (1xAA, Nichia 219, clicky)

markr6

Flashaholic
I received my first Xeno E03 w/ Nichia 219 last night so here's a few remarks.

Cons:
- I don't really like the switch because it takes too much effort to click. You really need to get your thumb tip in there or just use index finger. Maybe I'm just too used to the non-recessed forward clickies?
- I was also surprised how much bigger it is than something like the L10 or Fenix E11. Not a huge con, but there's much better 1xAA EDC options available.
- Glow in the dark switch cover makes it look cheap and doesn't really work after a short time anyway.
- Mine also has the ring around the beam but it's only noticable when wall hunting.
- No clip

Neutral/Undecided:
- It has more throw than the L10 but I woudn't say the beam is TOO focused like some lights. More of a con for me since I tend to favor floody lights.
- Pretty nice UI. I like how the hidden flashy modes require 3 quick clicks. I would prefer a High>Med>Low, but I know others would prefer a L>M>H. Can't please everyone!

Pros:
- Beautiful tint with the Nichia 219 as expected
- Tail stands!!
- Quality is good, especially for the price. GITD ring around reflector is a nice touch. Red and blue finish look really nice!

Overall, it's a pretty good light for the price, but the cons definitely keep me from purchasing additional lights. Because of the size and lack of pocket clip, I would classify this as a nice car/around the house type torch.

Last edited:

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one of these with the Nichia 219. Since I got my L10, I fell in love with this tint!! However, the UI and operation of the L10 really disappointed me. Although I really prefer forward clickies, this Xeno E03 looks like a good fit for me (1xAA, Nichia 219, clicky)

Hi markr6, new member here. I'm on the fence between the L10 Nichia and the Eo3 Nichia and concerned about the output comparison, I already have an E03 XML NW but never had an L10, since you have both of these with nichia could you please inform if one of these is significantly brighter than the other?

markr6

Flashaholic
Hi markr6, new member here. I'm on the fence between the L10 Nichia and the Eo3 Nichia and concerned about the output comparison, I already have an E03 XML NW but never had an L10, since you have both of these with nichia could you please inform if one of these is significantly brighter than the other?

Well I would say the actual output is very close when they are both on high. Tint is exactly the same. The difference comes in with the throw. The E03 has a deeper reflector so it will throw further with a tighter hot spot. I prefer the L10 since it's beam is perfect in my opinion; a big hot spot but very smooth transition into spill. It still throws a decent amount for a single AA light, especially for how small it is.

They are both great lights. I think they complement each other well since they have identical tints but very different beams. I'll use my L10 for walking the dog or cleaning up his mess in the yard, random house work, etc. I'll take the E03 for more throw but personally I don't have many uses for these. I need a floodier light 9/10 times.

I may try to get a beam shot comparison, unless someone beats me to it!

Last edited:

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened

I'd appreciate a beam shot, too. It would also be great if you could do a side-by-side pic of the lights. I know the L10 is smaller, but it's hard to gauge by how much. I'm also trying to decide between the two for my first Nichia 219 light. Thanks!

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
Well I would say the actual output is very close when they are both on high. Tint is exactly the same. The difference comes in with the throw. The E03 has a deeper reflector so it will throw further with a tighter hot spot. I prefer the L10 since it's beam is perfect in my opinion; a big hot spot but very smooth transition into spill. It still throws a decent amount for a single AA light, especially for how small it is.

They are both great lights. I think they complement each other well since they have identical tints but very different beams. I'll use my L10 for walking the dog or cleaning up his mess in the yard, random house work, etc. I'll take the E03 for more throw but personally I don't have many uses for these. I need a floodier light 9/10 times.

Thanks for the fast reply and detailed information, when you compare the two are they both running on the same battery type? My E03 is much brighter on Li-ion, I'm pretty sure the L10 does not support Li-ion.

BTW, for the Xeno, an older style LumaPower IncenDio clip fits the e03 perfectly between the body and tail cap.
I also swapped out the tail switch boot with a black one from Fenix (again a perfect fit)

Got my clips directly from Lumapower

It's the washer style clip (not the wire style)

I've seen some other clips that will fit, but all were the push on style and no where near as nice and sturdy as this one.

Here's a picture of mine with the clip:
e03clip_zps65fd0da5.jpg

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the fast reply and detailed information, when you compare the two are they both running on the same battery type? My E03 is much brighter on Li-ion, I'm pretty sure the L10 does not support Li-ion.

BTW, for the Xeno, an older style LumaPower IncenDio clip fits the e03 perfectly between the body and tail cap.
I also swapped out the tail switch boot with a black one from Fenix (again a perfect fit)

I've seen some other clips that will fit, but all were the push on style and no where near as nice and sturdy as this one.

e03clip_zps65fd0da5.jpg

That clip looks great! I run Eneloops in both of them. In the L10 threads, some members report using 14500 all the time without any issues. I'll try this, but probably just to test then back to Eneloops for daily use.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the L3 Illumination L10 Nichia 219 and the Xeno EO3 Nichia 219. I run the L10 on 14500 Li-ions and get all levels. If I run the E03 on a 14500, I lose levels and (from what I've read) regulation. I put an Eneloop in the EO3 to get all levels. The E03 is a sturdy light, the fit and finish are good and overall it is good value. But it is much bigger than the L10 and I'm not crazy about the reverse clicky. If you are wall hunting with the EO3, you'll see the rings. I think both lights are good value and I like the light that the Nichia 219 emitter puts out.

markr6

Flashaholic
Here's an indoor beamshot comparing the E03 and L10 - both Nichia 219 on high about 12' away from door. I shot this during the day and it was not completely dark in here so they may be a little washed out.

And the ring on the E03 when wall hunting (I don't notice it at all during normal use):

e03_ring.jpg

And a useful comparison:

e03_l10_size.jpg

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I would say the actual output is very close when they are both on high.

I concur. The E03 on a single AA puts 350mA to the LED. I don't know what the L10 does but I'm guessing it's the same even though at the tail cap, the E03 pulls 2.1A - 2.2A and the L10 pulls 1.9A. It is just a bit brighter than the E03 on LiIon low, which puts 300mA to the LED. You can't tell the difference unless you have a light meter and even then, the readings are so close anyway, at least on a ceiling bounce.

If I run the E03 on a 14500, I lose levels and (from what I've read) regulation.

What you should get at the LED should be 300mA on low, 1A on medium and the full 1.5A on high. Bare emitter wise, there's about 100 lumens difference between those levels I think. I have month before my 14500's arrive so I'll do a test then.

RoadStar

Newly Enlightened
If I run the E03 on a 14500, I lose levels and (from what I've read) regulation.
On my E03 (with T6 NW) I don't lose the levels although high and medium are fairly close, when using outdoors there is still a pretty good difference between high and medium. Low is brighter than it is on a duracell but on 14500 it's still a lot lower that medium. And yes the regulation must be lost because on 14500 it does get dimmer as the battery discharges.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the helpful pics, markr6. I've made a decision, I want them both! Although I think I'll get the L10 first, as I currently want a very small AA light to EDC.

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for the helpful pics, markr6. I've made a decision, I want them both! Although I think I'll get the L10 first, as I currently want a very small AA light to EDC.

The size makes the L10 a great EDC. And I just recently tried a 14500 Li-Ion in the Xeno E03...WOW! It basically gives you a high mode and two "little bit higher" modes :)

hatman

Enlightened

e03clip_zps65fd0da5.jpg

RoadStar -- thanks for the tip.

Just got my clip. Not exactly deep pocket but it works fine.

Had to remove one of the two O-rings. Unsure what effect that may have.

MojaveMoon07

Enlightened
Xeno E03 219 + Fenix AD401 diffuser = ?

What I hope will be ideal for a family member is a Xeno E03 219 paired with a Fenix AD401 diffuser

E03 diam 21.5mm ; AD401 fits any flashlight "with a diameter of 20 mm -21.5 mm"

Will this diffuser fit it okay and stay on okay, and what will the new diffused beam pattern look like (verbal description or picture) ?

If anyone has either both of these or a AD401 diffuser + a Xeno E03 with an LED with a similar hotspot, may I ask you at your convenience to try them together ?