Xeno G42 XM-L (1x18650/2xCR123A) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, VIDEO and more!

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope it's okay to throw in my two cents on this light (I know you're a renowned light reviewer on here), but I've had this light for almost a month now and it's SUPERB. Xeno is really making some great stuff. I already had two E03s (Cool White) and I was very impressed by those so I figured the G42 would be like those on steroids and I wasn't wrong. this G42 (XM-L is what I have) really is a fantastic light.

the lanyard is a good, not-too-long, not-too-short length, which I was surprised by because I was expecting, based on the manufacturer's site photos that it'd be way too long, but it's the perfect length (for me at least).

I thought it was kind of funny, however, that XENOLED.COM is on every single part of the light, but I interpret that as them taking pride in their work. :)

You can get it here. http://tacticalhid.info/g42

I
f you want the XM-L version just let him know.
He hasn't updated his web page yet.

I did this, too, from TacticalHID. the guy runs a good business. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
And now for the outdoor shots. :) These beamshots were done in the style of my earlier 100-yard round-up review. Please see that thread for a discussion of the topography (i.e. the road dips in the distance, to better show you the corona in the mid-ground).

G42-V2T-TN11.gif

G42-RRT15-BC40.gif

G42-BC40-PA40.gif

Sorry, the PA40 should say 4x, not 8x.

Chidwack

Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt. That Xeno G42 looks impressive up against the Jetbeam BC40 considering the BC40 uses two 18650 batteries.

Pat-inCO

Newly Enlightened
Re: Xeno G42 XM-L

:) selfbuilt, you are a baaaaaaaad influence! :)

I read your review on the Zebralight SC600, and got one of those (slight regret, but only for the complex setup).

Read your review on the Xeno E03, and now have "more than one" of those. EXCELLENT EDC light.

Now I read your review on the G42 and have just received mine. First blush, another excellent light.
Verrrrry pleased with the simplicity of function, throw, fit and finish. As I said, another EXCELLENT light.

HEY! Cut it out! :)

As a P.S. I also got one of the Xeno F7, which morphed into "more than one".

Excellent line of products. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your reviews!

nitric

Newly Enlightened

i bought two g42 cool white ver2 (one for my friend). pretty tough and very high quality finish. very impressive with just 1x18650 and the throw is pretty good. my friend is also very much impressed with this light.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

does anyone know if I'll see greater output with an IMR 18650 on my G42 XM-L than a protected 2900 mAh Redilast will?

Specifically, I was looking at buying a couple of AW IMRs at 3.7, 1600 mAh :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

does anyone know if I'll see greater output with an IMR 18650 on my G42 XM-L than a protected 2900 mAh Redilast will?
No, there will be difference - output is based is based on the input voltage source. Runtime will be a lot less on the IMR cells, due to the lower energy density. Also, there is no need to use IMR in this light (i.e. drive current doesn't require IMR, so regular Li-ion is fine). You are much better off sticking with protected Li-ions in this light, since it doesn't have a built-in low voltage circuit cut-off.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, there will be difference - output is based is based on the input voltage source. Runtime will be a lot less on the IMR cells, due to the lower energy density. Also, there is no need to use IMR in this light (i.e. drive current doesn't require IMR, so regular Li-ion is fine). You are much better off sticking with protected Li-ions in this light, since it doesn't have a built-in low voltage circuit cut-off.
gotcha, thanks a lot for the response. :)

I'll skip out on buying some IMRs then. you do the best reviews, by the way. :D

iron potato

Enlightened

Quick question, which one throw better ?

On my list were :-
SWM T20CS - Side switch & low battery indicator a nice touch
Xeno G42v2 - Liking the tint of T5
Klarus XT11 - Fast access to strobe

I can't decide which one to pick, any feedback is welcome guys :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Quick question, which one throw better ?
For equivalent output, emitter, and battery source, throw really comes down to the size and shape of the reflector (i.e., a bigger reflector is needed for more throw).

I suspect the G42 would be the best thrower of the ones you've listed. I will be testing the XT11, but am sure it will not throw as far (i.e., head is a lot smaller). The T20CS claims to throw almost as far as what I measured for the G42, but I suspect that's likely a slight exaggeration, given the size of the T20CS head. You would need to see one tested under the same conditions as the G42 to know for sure. That said, I imagine you would find the T20CS throws a very decent amount, and even the XT11 may meet your needs.

iron potato

Enlightened

Thanks selfbuilt, guess I'll be waiting for your superb review, on Klarus XT11, then only decides which one to get :sssh: but... after powered up Xeno E03 T5 today, I liking the tint, guess now I'm a bit leaning over G42v2 now :devil:

iron potato

Enlightened

Got the G42's cousin, F42v2 XM-L T5 in the mail today, switch on side by side with TK35, found out the hot spot is much concentrated than TK35, really liking Xeno's XM-L T5 4C color bin, its a keeper for me :thumbsup:

Last edited:

StefMug

Newly Enlightened
hy there,
i just bought this beautiful light. and i love it.
before i got the Klarus XT11, good allrounder, but i like the Xeno more because of the great throw!

i took a look in the manual, there seems to be a hidden-menu:
"Hidden: 3-stage functional variable Output: Strobe (3,5 hrs @ high level), Locator Beam (14 hrs @ low level), SOS (7hrs @ low level)"

I just wonder how to get in the hidden menu, does anybody know??

greets
stefmug

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
"Hidden: 3-stage functional variable Output: Strobe (3,5 hrs @ high level), Locator Beam (14 hrs @ low level), SOS (7hrs @ low level)"
Hmm, they must have changed the circuit - my original sample (and manual) have no evidence of hidden modes. It's probably accessed through a series of rapid flashes, but I have no direct info.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
hy there,
i just bought this beautiful light. and i love it.
before i got the Klarus XT11, good allrounder, but i like the Xeno more because of the great throw!

I just wonder how to get in the hidden menu, does anybody know??

greets
stefmug

Xeno just added the hidden mode functionality to all of their models. To access the hidden modes simply press the switch 3 times rapidly within 1 second, and it will activate the hidden mode group. To get out of the hidden modes and back to the normal modes you need to shut the light off, wait 2-3 seconds then turn it back on and it defaults to the main H-M-L mode group.

nitric

Newly Enlightened
The G42 is a real solid light. However, i have to send both my friend's and mine back to the dealer for warranty claims. Somehow, the light output fluctuated, flickered and the turbo mode was not as bright as before.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
The G42 is a real solid light. However, i have to send both my friend's and mine back to the dealer for warranty claims. Somehow, the light output fluctuated, flickered and the turbo mode was not as bright as before.

Amazing, out of all the ones I've sold, I've had zero issues with the G42's!

craig-o

Newly Enlightened
Hi, new here, but have been reading Selfbuilt's reviews for some time now. Saw a G42 in a local store (Cape Town) and after seeing this review decided to get the T5 "neutral white". Then had to get the U2, just to compare.

U2 version is great for impressing friends, but on a cold night the beam profile is so bright you can't see past 100meters. Spill is also too white to see much in the distance.
T5 version is the way to go for throwing in outdoors

There is no hidden mode on my models, but don't need it on this type of light.

Just to add if anyone is looking into this light; the mode selection and lack of memory make it specific to its function - THROW. Turning on 610 lumens inside a tent or in the house will result in a lot of eye pain. Xeno's E-Series is better suited with low on the first click.