XeVision XV-LX70 and XV-LX70 SuperPower (both 50/70 watt HIDs) Review / Comparison

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Next time you should come up. You only live 3-4 hours away from us.

what could be better than getting to see two powerful handheld HID's perform without having to buy them

How about getting to see two powerful handheld HID's perform without having to buy them along with a dozen CPF'ers taking Froggy up on his invite over a couple kegs and a pig roast...and let's also throw in a few women that look like Eva Longoria :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
We're probably "exposing" the sensor with a similar net amount of photons.

Of course if that creates too high(long) of a shutter speed for a given situation then you have to start compromising on either ISO or f-stop(dof) to maintain the desired picture sharpness.

If you run into a situation where you're getting too much light, a neutral density filter is your friend.

Other than for sports, I don't go higher than ISO 400. I want pixel peeping sharpness. My Nikon D3x full frame sensor is 24mp and does well down to ISO 1600, but I'm more pleased with the images at low ISO values.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you run into a situation where you're getting too much light, a neutral density filter is your friend.

Other than for sports, I don't go higher than ISO 400. I want pixel peeping sharpness. My Nikon D3x full frame sensor is 24mp and does well down to ISO 1600, but I'm more pleased with the images at low ISO values.

Yeah ND filters are sweet for the right applications!

Super Sharpness is the "downside" of digital photography. Film grain is a neat thing that has largely been cast aside or added post processing that added a lot to photos of yesteryear.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look up Paso Robles Regional airport. Within 1/2 mile

I lived in Paso Robles for about 1 month back in the early 80's, Also lived in Pismo Beach for about a month as well. Back then I worked in the oil exploration business, running a seismograph crew. We also worked in Lompoc, near Santa Maria also within and near Vandenberg AFB.

Last edited:

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in Paso Robles for about 1 month back in the early 80's, Also lived in Pismo Beach for about a month as well. Back then I worked in the oil exploration business, running a seismograph crew. We also worked in Lompoc, near Santa Maria and in and near Vandenberg AFB.

no freaking way..as a kid there was oil seismic crews that assessed property(30 acres) we were renting on Buena Vista Rd near the airport. These huge machines that kept slamming the ground with a massive hydraulic piston presumably to measure the resulting seismic waves like sonar I'm guessing.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
no freaking way..as a kid there was oil seismic crews that assessed property(30 acres) we were renting on Buena Vista Rd near the airport. These huge machines that kept slamming the ground with a massive hydraulic piston presumably to measure the resulting seismic waves like sonar I'm guessing.

They are called "Vibrators" they are usually 3 to 5 trucks or buggys together weighing about 50,000 lbs each. The are all sychronized (multiple trucks and the vibrations are fully sychronized). The trucks have a hydraulic pad that goes down to the ground lifting the weight of the truck fully onto it. There is a heavy mass above the pad that shuttles up and down hydraulically as well, that sends sine wave (primarily P wave (pressure) and some S wave (shear)) frequencies into the ground. Typically in the 10 or 20 hz range at the bottom and cycles up to 100 or even 120 hz on the high end, each sweep (cycle) lasted maybe 10 seconds then maybe 5 addition seconds of listening by the seismometers (geophones). The trucks actually vibrate the ground, not pound it. The pad must stay coupled to the ground at all times during the vibration cycle to be effective in transmitting the specific vibration frequencies into the ground. Yes it works like ultrasound (looking at babies) or Sonar, to map the layers below. Can see the strata many thousands of feet down.
What color were the trucks, do you remember ? I worked for Petty Ray Geophysical div of Geosource later purchased by Halliburton.

cocorp_vibrator2.jpg

The somewhat vertical black below lines are added to show faulting.

Seismic_cross_section_of_Exmouth_and_Barrow_sub-basins.png

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
A bit off-topic for this thread but I'd be up for an encore performance if some "local" SoCal and/or NorCal CPF'rs wanted to see the Heavy Iron and Froggy's landowner was OK with it. I've got a TrakkaBeam 800 Watt that I haven't seen long-distance yet.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are called "Vibrators" they are usually 3 to 5 trucks or buggys together weighing about 50,000 lbs each. The are all sychronized (multiple trucks and the vibrations are fully sychronized). The trucks have a hydraulic pad that goes down to the ground lifting the weight of the truck fully onto it. There is a heavy mass above the pad that shuttles up and down hydraulically as well, that sends sine wave (primarily P wave (pressure) and some S wave (shear)) frequencies into the ground. Typically in the 10 or 20 hz range at the bottom and cycles up to 100 or even 120 hz on the high end, each sweep (cycle) lasted maybe 10 seconds then maybe 5 addition seconds of listening by the seismometers (geophones). The trucks actually vibrate the ground, not pound it. The pad must stay coupled to the ground at all times during the vibration cycle to be effective in transmitting the the specific vibration frequencies into the ground. Yes it works like ultrasound (looking at babies) or Sonar, to map the layers below. Can see the strata many thousands of feet down.
What color were the trucks, do you remember ? I worked for Petty Ray Geophysical div of Geosource later purchased by Halliburton.

Very cool info. I'm gonna dbl check & see if my parents recall because I was roughly about 7 years old at the time so my memory isn't that great on detail. I do recall the 3-5 vehicles in a line part though.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
A bit off-topic for this thread but I'd be up for an encore performance if some "local" SoCal and/or NorCal CPF'rs wanted to see the Heavy Iron and Froggy's landowner was OK with it. I've got a TrakkaBeam 800 Watt that I haven't seen long-distance yet.

I will of course verify but Matt won't care.

LED1982

Newly Enlightened
Tonight I found myself a few nice spots to test the throw of the Superpower (at least as nice as possible without leaving my immediate area which ain't that great for nice spots), my favorite spot was a dead end that hits a river and has trees across the river, but what is really nice is on both sides of the street there are closed business offices instead of houses. If I go over to the next block's dead end in either direction I'd have houses on both sides, there is always that feeling like someone will call the cops. However what are cops going to do tell me it's illegal to shine a light over a river lol. Anyway, it hit the trees nicely, I wish I knew the distance. My only comparison was that I shined my Vinh TN42vn at the trees last week and it was a no go, it fell short and didn't help me if I had to see something or someone at the trees.

So tonight it was St Patty's Day police mania and I was shining it sort of close to a bar in the one spot and I realized it must be like a beacon call to the 100 cops crawling around so I wanted to stop. The thing is, and this slipped my mind at first, is that you don't want to turn an HID on, not let it warm up, and then turn it off...so I wanted to stop almost instantly because of police, but I didn't wanna break the warm up rule...so without looking in the direction of the light I left it on and put it back in my car on the passenger seat. It was pretty impressive how it didn't burn a hole in my retina because at 4000K it's pretty warm. Not exactly comfortable if I looked right at it's reflection on the dashboard, but for a 4.5 million CD light to be shining on a dashboard 1 foot in front of it was pretty damn bearable!! I thought that was cool, VERY nice and warm!

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone was looking at your car from a distance it must have looked like an "Alien Glow" paranormal happening.:tinfoil: Something right from the UFO Files!

hahoo

Enlightened
Tonight I found myself a few nice spots to test the throw of the Superpower (at least as nice as possible without leaving my immediate area which ain't that great for nice spots), my favorite spot was a dead end that hits a river and has trees across the river, but what is really nice is on both sides of the street there are closed business offices instead of houses. If I go over to the next block's dead end in either direction I'd have houses on both sides, there is always that feeling like someone will call the cops. However what are cops going to do tell me it's illegal to shine a light over a river lol. Anyway, it hit the trees nicely, I wish I knew the distance. My only comparison was that I shined my Vinh TN42vn at the trees last week and it was a no go, it fell short and didn't help me if I had to see something or someone at the trees.

So tonight it was St Patty's Day police mania and I was shining it sort of close to a bar in the one spot and I realized it must be like a beacon call to the 100 cops crawling around so I wanted to stop. The thing is, and this slipped my mind at first, is that you don't want to turn an HID on, not let it warm up, and then turn it off...so I wanted to stop almost instantly because of police, but I didn't wanna break the warm up rule...so without looking in the direction of the light I left it on and put it back in my car on the passenger seat. It was pretty impressive how it didn't burn a hole in my retina because at 4000K it's pretty warm. Not exactly comfortable if I looked right at it's reflection on the dashboard, but for a 4.5 million CD light to be shining on a dashboard 1 foot in front of it was pretty damn bearable!! I thought that was cool, VERY nice and warm!

we need pics or it didnt happen
go to google earth, and click that lil yard stick symbol it the top, and it will tell you to the inch how far that treeline is
now go out tonight and get us some pics :eek: :thumbsup:

33133285420_e9ac04230a_b.jpg

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

You don't need to worry about this warm up, cool down use. It would never be an issue unless it became an ongoing habit. Just use the light.

hahoo

Enlightened
There was another post somewhere where someone also said 4.5 million candela but I forgot where I saw it and couldn't find it, he showed the math in the post. So unless I hear otherwise I'm going to just tell people it's 4.5 million candela from now on. Thanks.

well, we need updates on this light, with beamshots
its been like a decade since you got it:poke::D