Modden

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

can I a XHP50 dom off?

With Aceton, with cutter or what?

best Regards

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vinh was talking about a quick razor blade method. Risky. Most folks I read here use solvent soak and take their time.

Cut a single bond wire and you junked your emitter.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hang upside down in gasoline (petrol) for 6 hours or so... (I go overnight with no issues) and the dome will pop right off (a lil assistance may be needed and some minor cleanup of leftover dome crumbs).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have dedomed xhp50, i used a sharp razor, but one has to be carefull, bond wires are higher than usually, easy to kill the led if cut too low. i do not know how it affect throw with reflectors or large tir, i just need to fit them on 3up xml star and cute 3up optic. same situation as xpl with 20mm carclo, wont fit unless dome is off

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, lots of mods need a dedome to avoid swapping optics. I have a keychain light where the choices were:

1. Smaller emitter
2. Drill out the TIR optic and screw it up
3. Dedome the emitter.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm toying with this, noob to DD.
Thinking choke,/TB cleaners, maybe Elec contact cleaner even to speed softening?

Idk how well the phosphor or substrates will tolerate those but if you've LEDs to spare, why not? Lol
I just know that 6-8hrs, or overnight, upside down in gas works really well. Then I wash them off with alch and water till they don't stink anymore. I then VERY CAREFULLY, using an eyeloupe & toothpick, clean any excess dome off.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good tip, toothpick I mean lol.
I don't have any spare led, I have to succeed first shot, IF, I try.
Little fuel an time I guess is best.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of emitters isn't much more monies than 1 emitter. Might keep that in mind when ordering?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good tip, toothpick I mean lol.
I don't have any spare led, I have to succeed first shot, IF, I try.
Little fuel an time I guess is best.

Toothpick is much safer than metal and stronger than plastic. I've found that the substrate is easily scratched and the bond wires can get hung up on burrs with metal picks. Plastic is to flexible and can cause one to become over zealous and slip. Do not, I repeat, Do NOT touch the phosphor...unless you Want a royal blue light! Lol