XM-L Drop-ins

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there any XM-L drop-ins(for P60) that can handle 2xcr123 or do they all get too hot with that battery configuration? I plan to mostly use 18650, but I really like having the backup option of using cr123's. Perhaps one of the drop-in's that isn't driven quite as hard?

Also I haven't had much time to look through all the threads but as far as budget drop-ins go, it seems like the manafont one might be the most popular right now, is that right? I have seen very few threads recommending anything else although I'm sure nailbender's for example are really nice too.

Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I hear everyone talking about how important it is to wrap your xml dropins for extra heat dissipation. Can anyone direct me to an indepth guide of how to go about doing this properly or maybe can just explain this to me, I'm not terribly handy so I'm worried about screwing this up.

Last edited:

brandocommando

Enlightened
Thrunite makes 2 that can accept up to 9 volts, a single level, and a multi level. They can be viewed HERE. (Don't forget to apply the coupon code!)

The only XM-L dropin I own personally is a Nailbender, and I am very happy with it.
It is rated up to 6V, but I just run a 18650.

Last edited:

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I always plan to get a nailbender and then I can never quite afford it.....how much did this one run you if I may ask?

brandocommando

Enlightened
The NB was $45 with thermal potting.
They are $40 without thermal potting.
That price includes shipping.

rob3rto

Newly Enlightened
I'm more than happy with the single mode one from the Solarforce-Sales site. Takes up to 6v.

jondotcom

Enlightened
I have the KD version with claimed ~1000 lumens (no it's not that bright) and it gets hot as heck. I have the DX version with claimed ~500 lumens (might be that bright) and it stays much cooler. For $14-ish shipped, I'm not worried about not being able to run CR123.

Overdriving the XML seems to create more heat but not more light.

I'd suggest wrapping with copper foil, but aluminum is a waste of time (copper transfers heat, where aluminum isolates it).

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's not really a question of trying to get more lumens out of the dropin, 500 already seems like plenty to me. I just don't really like lights that only take rechargeables.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks norm, I figured there must already be a thread on this but I couldn't find it.

aussiebuddha

Enlightened
wouldn't a 1 mode overheat if used for a while? unless they underdrive them, which seems a bit of a waste in such a high power led

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know what the Thrunite single mode OP XM-L that works with (2) CR123's beam looks like. I know it's floody but is it even and white or is it off color and with donut holes?

I have an older Surefire 6P incan that I keep in the nightstand along with a pistol. I never use it (or the pistol) but it just doesn't seem bright anymore compared to all my other lights.

I'd like to make the Surefire useful (to me).

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's an OP reflector I would be amazed if there was even the slightest sign of a donut hole.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Does anyone know what the Thrunite single mode OP XM-L that works with (2) CR123's beam looks like. I know it's floody but is it even and white or is it off color and with donut holes?

I did a comparison of different reflectors here.