XM-L2 90+ High CRI vs nichia 219

Wurkkos

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for a P60 drop in. I would be purchasing from customlites. Never having any high cri lights I'm looking to try one in my solarforce l2p. My main purpose for the light is EDC. The 5 mode p60 is the one I would buy. I would like a high lumen output available for walking the dog, and low low for using as a night light to navigate inconspicuously to the refrigerator at night.

The xml puts out more lumens so I think that would fit my needs better. And not using any high cri lights before, I wouldn't know what I'm missing out on if the Nichia 219 is better.

Any suggestions or opinions.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
From what I can see, the High CRI (90+) XM-L2 gives the same color rendition as the High CRI (90+) Nichia 219, but, does it with more light.

So for any given scenario, using the above two lights, in the same flashlight for example, you'd see more with the High CRI XM-L2 than with the Nichia 219.

If you drive the XM-L2 harder than ~ 3 amps, the CRI will drop though, but from 3 amps down, the XML2 still outperforms the Nichia219 in output while also maintaining the same 90+ CRI.

The Nichia of course also loses CRI if over driven.

- Hope that helps!

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
From what I can see, the High CRI (90+) XM-L2 gives the same color rendition as the High CRI (90+) Nichia 219, but, does it with more light.

So for any given scenario, using the above two lights, in the same flashlight for example, you'd see more with the High CRI XM-L2 than with the Nichia 219.

If you drive the XM-L2 harder than ~ 3 amps, the CRI will drop though, but from 3 amps down, the XML2 still outperforms the Nichia219 in output while also maintaining the same 90+ CRI.

The Nichia of course also loses CRI if over driven.

- Hope that helps!

Exactly what I needed!

Steven

SPNKr

Newly Enlightened
You should also note that the high CRI CREE lights have a colour temperature of around 3000K, similar to incandescent lights. The Nichia, on the other hand, has a colour temperature of 4500K, which appears almost neutral, and is the emitter's claim to fame. The Nichia appears very much like mid-day sunlight, which is lovely. With the high CRI XML2 white objects will appear much more yellowish than with the Nichia, whereas on brightly coloured objects the two should appear the same.

CRI is only one part of the story, colour temperature is the other. Look around the forums for beamshots and see which you prefer.

You should also consider what kind of beam pattern you want. If you're walking your dog on a leash and navigating around the house you may prefer a floodier light. The P60 drop-in is large enough to accommodate triple emitters, a triple 219 flood would give you great colour rendition at up to ~800 lumens. If you're interested in throw though, I would suggest the XML2.

Last edited:

Grmnracing

Newly Enlightened
You should also note that the high CRI CREE lights have a colour temperature of around 3000K, similar to incandescent lights. The Nichia, on the other hand, has a colour temperature of 4500K, which appears almost neutral, and is the emitter's claim to fame. The Nichia appears very much like mid-day sunlight, which is lovely. With the high CRI XML2 white objects will appear much more yellowish than with the Nichia, whereas on brightly coloured objects the two should appear the same.

CRI is only one part of the story, colour temperature is the other. Look around the forums for beamshots and see which you prefer.

You should also consider what kind of beam pattern you want. If you're walking your dog on a leash and navigating around the house you may prefer a floodier light. The P60 drop-in is large enough to accommodate triple emitters, a triple 219 flood would give you great colour rendition at up to ~800 lumens. If you're interested in throw though, I would suggest the XML2.

I've been searching. Who makes a Tri Nichia 219 P60 with 5 modes instead of 3. The low low is important to me.

Steven

JCD

Enlightened
You should also consider what kind of beam pattern you want.

^this^

The difference in brightness between a Nichia 219 and an XM-L2 isn't going to be enough to make the XM-L2 well suited for tasks for which the 219 is not sufficiently bright. It requires a huge increase in lumens, not mere doubling, to cause a perceived difference of a meaningful magnitude. Having the right beam pattern, on the other hand, will make a noticeable difference in use.

easilyled

Flashaholic

This is a very important point.

A high CRI at a daylight color temperature is far superior to the same CRI at a much lower color temperature.
When a light turns a white object yellow or orange, its hard for me to consider it to be good at rendering color despite the CRI number being high.

electromage

Enlightened
I modded my V10R Ti+ and Maelstrom X10 with 90+ CRI XM-L2s, and while they came out warmer than I expected, I have to say I'm thrilled. They are about as warm as halogen, and they work wonderfully outdoors. They illuminate dirt, wood, leaves, and cut through fog much better than the cool white LEDs. They look a little yellow on a white wall, but I'm not a "white wall hunter". A funny side-effect is that I find myself subconsciously trying to avoid turning them on and off to preserve the nonexistent filament.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
my personal impression:
* I hate the "overly warm" tint of my high CRI XM-L insert,
* the nichia insert is less bright than the
* XP-G (and XP-G2) insert at 5000 K,
so the XP-G remains my favorite ... runtime, runtime, runtime

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Definitely agree. Have to watch the color temp. I don't like High CRI that are overly orange. I wish they would make that 219 in something with more output!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used 9 of xml2 90+ cri in my bathroom light conversion, before i had halogens in there, now 9 xm-l2. i don't see any difference in colors in the room, same thing, i used no optics, ran xml2's at 900ma, and there is a white frosted glass in front of the leds.

also i replaced led in my old headlamp, that used old xrc, i did not chane anything in that light besides led, it uses reflector, the current there is pbly no more than 200ma, the light looks yellow, a lot yellower than bathroom light, even thou i used same leds

supra1988t

Newly Enlightened
i used 9 of xml2 90+ cri in my bathroom light conversion, before i had halogens in there, now 9 xm-l2. i don't see any difference in colors in the room, same thing, i used no optics, ran xml2's at 900ma, and there is a white frosted glass in front of the leds.

also i replaced led in my old headlamp, that used old xrc, i did not chane anything in that light besides led, it uses reflector, the current there is pbly no more than 200ma, the light looks yellow, a lot yellower than bathroom light, even thou i used same leds

Mind sharing what you used to power said 9 xml2 setup? Im interested in using leds for around the house lighting.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i used MeanWell - 1300mA Constant Current LED Driver with Dimming

from led supply

magnum78

Newly Enlightened
sorry for bringing up this old thread.

for photographic use, which one is better? XML high cri or Nichia 219?

Newguy2012

Enlightened
It depend on your the color temp preference. Cree's is warmer so it has an orange tint. Nichia is neutral, objects won't have the orange tint. Nichia looks more natural because of the color temp.

Etsu

Enlightened
A high-CRI with a warm color temp will result in you seeing lots of reds and oranges, but you'll have a harder time distinguishing blues from blacks. Think of lighting by candlelight: it has a CRI of 100, but you might not be able to tell dark purple from blue.

Mid day sunlight has a color temp of 5500K, which is considered cool-white. IMO, if you want to see natural colors, you're better off with a high CRI that is close to 5500K. A Nichia 219 is the best choice for LEDs, at this point.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It depend on your the color temp preference. Cree's is warmer so it has an orange tint. Nichia is neutral, objects won't have the orange tint. Nichia looks more natural because of the color temp.

The Nichia 219 looks like a yellow beam, definitely NOT neutral white.

:D

markr6

Flashaholic
The Nichia 219 looks like a yellow beam, definitely NOT neutral white.

:D

Wow, that's not what mine are showing at all. Perfectly white, slightly approaching cool if anything. Actually, just last night I re-realized this after not using my L10 w/ Nichia 219 for weeks. I've been using my SC62d and SC600w a lot, which I like, but I'd say the SC600w looks yellow in comparison.