xp-l vs xp-g2 led

jasonsmaglites

Enlightened
I'm looking at thrunite lights and i just don't know much about the difference between these two led's. the xp-l is the highest lumens per watt out there, so I'm really leaning towards that. i've been away from the flashlight forums for a while and was hoping for some first hand experience. from my research i know these two are on the same size die. the xp-l however has more "material" i.e. an xm-l2 die on the xpg frame. so the xp-l is more efficient and brighter, hands down? or are they comparable because selfbuilts reviews show them performing very similar in the thrunite. can you guys help me pick between these two led's?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes that is correct XP-L is an XML2 size emitter on top of an XP-G footprint. If you take the time to drive yourself insane reading over Cree's mind numbing data sheets youll find that Cree claims the XP-L is the ultimate XP-G (like I said...mind numbing). According to Crees own numbers the XML2 up to say 3 amps actually is more efficient and has more output than the XP-L. Past 3 amps (I think it was 3) the XP-L really shines and keeps climbing in out put while the XML2 starts taking a nose dive. Most lights are in the 3-4.5 amp range maybe a touch lower. XP-G2 up to certain output roughly 450-500 lumens is amazingly efficient and its physically smaller emitter combine for a great throw beam in that output range.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at thrunite lights and i just don't know much about the difference between these two led's.

afaik the XP-L is Only offered in the Titanium version. It has terrible threads, I do not recommend it.

buy both and develop your own addiction, I mean opinion :)

my opinion is get the stainless because the threads are better. It only comes with the XP-G2. Get the NW, not the CW

left to right, 3000k XP-L at .5 lumens, 3000K XP-G at .04 lumens, 5800K XP-L .04 lumens, 4400k N219a at .09 lumens
IMG_9430.JPG

IMG_9428.JPG

in this next lineup, you can see the hotspot of the XP-L is more diffused than the XP-G and N219
IMG_9438.JPG

they are now on second level, left to right 3 lumen N219, 12 lumen XP-L, 12 lumen XP-G, 20 lumen XP-L
IMG_9437.JPG

in the above pic you can see my CW Thrunite XP-L, second from left. For my taste it is too blue and I now avoid CW tint.

btw, since were talking about the Thrunites, you may also be interested in the Thrunite custom Stainless TiSvn
in that animation sequence, look at the flood he gets from that XP-L!

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you do to get such good firefly modes on these Jon?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you do to get such good firefly modes on these Jon?

the firefly modes are stock to the drivers

stock Olight uses No PWM driver and low CRI Cool White LED, has a stock firefly mode of .5, by far my favorite (the LED was swapped to high CRI XPL)

stock Maratac uses PWM with Low CRI Cool White, (swapped to a No PWM Thrunite driver, whose stock firefly mode is .04. I find it too dim. The LED was swapped to high CRI XPG, (which is cooler than the XPL swapped into the Olight but still excellent CRI)

stock Thrunite uses No PWM and low CRI LED, but can be had in Neutral White. I find its stock firefly of .04 too dim to be practical majority of the time. otoh I really like the Thrunite body form factor (I like the thrunite form more than the Maratac which is a bit narrow in the body)

stock L08 uses No Pwm and Neutral white High CRI N219a, with .09 firefly. By far the most versatile modes, as it has 4 instead of 3. That is the ONLY stock High CRI light with a NO PWM driver that I know of. Though I find the .09 too dim, its second mode is 3 lumens which I find very useful. The only downside to this light is its a bit larger than the others. It is far and away the least expensive High CRI light in stock form.

my goals were to have No PWM and High CRI Neutral or Warm, I dont like Cool
The modified Olight is my favorite combination of features, High CRI, Warm, floody XPL, most useful firefly. The LED mod was done by Gunga, and I highly recommend his work. But not everyone wants a candle colored LED, which is what I really like about it. That is my warmest light with best firefly.

otoh, if max brightness is the goal, which means it will have Cool White and Low CRI, then I recommend Vinh's TiSvn. But that is in a whole other battery format, the high powered LiIon 10440. With DriverVn option, it can go down to 1 lumen and has 5 modes. This is by far the most expensive and brightest custom Thrunite option. It will have the shortest battery life, but uses rechargeables.

Last edited:

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
the firefly modes are stock to the drivers

stock Olight uses No PWM driver and low CRI Cool White LED, has a stock firefly mode of .5, by far my favorite (the LED was swapped to high CRI XPL)

stock Maratac uses PWM with Low CRI Cool White, (swapped to a No PWM Thrunite driver, whose stock firefly mode is .04. I find it too dim. The LED was swapped to high CRI XPG, (which is cooler than the XPL swapped into the Olight but still excellent CRI)

stock Thrunite uses No PWM and low CRI LED, but can be had in Neutral White. I find its stock firefly of .04 too dim to be practical majority of the time. otoh I really like the Thrunite body form factor (I like the thrunite form more than the Maratac which is a bit narrow in the body)

stock L08 uses No Pwm and Neutral white High CRI N219a, with .09 firefly. By far the most versatile modes, as it has 4 instead of 3. That is the ONLY stock High CRI light with a NO PWM driver that I know of. Though I find the .09 too dim, its second mode is 3 lumens which I find very useful. The only downside to this light is its a bit larger than the others. It is far and away the least expensive High CRI light in stock form.

my goals were to have No PWM and High CRI Neutral or Warm, I dont like Cool
The modified Olight is my favorite combination of features, High CRI, Warm, floody XPL, most useful firefly. The LED mod was done by Gunga, and I highly recommend his work. But not everyone wants a candle colored LED, which is what I really like about it. That is my warmest light with best firefly.

otoh, if max brightness is the goal, which means it will have Cool White and Low CRI, then I recommend Vinh's TiSvn. But that is in a whole other battery format, the high powered LiIon 10440. With DriverVn option, it can go down to 1 lumen and has 5 modes. This is by far the most expensive and brightest custom Thrunite option. It will have the shortest battery life, but uses rechargeables.

Cool! Thanks for all that info! I'm a neutral/high CRI moonlight/firefly guy. So very interesting!

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and I picked up the L11...i think... The clicky version. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, and I picked up the L11...i think... The clicky version. :)
woohoo! Congrats
curious, did you choose the N219 with 4 modes? Similar High CRI with moonlight, like my Orange L08 pictured above

what body color did you choose :)