XPC Q5 or XPE Gen2 in R3

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeLight

Enlightened
I am interested in your feedback on what you would prefer as a throw light led?

WeLight

Enlightened
Aren't triples terrible for throw? Aren't triples floody?
yes but what Znomit is getting to is the small die of the XPC in relationship with the triple optic is actually a terrific combination, and that is the heart of my question, people have issues with it when used with XPG because they are not ideally matched. It would better with XPE than XPG and XPC would be better than XPE but you sacrifice downshift flux for cd/lumen

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Generally speaking, a smaller optical source is "easier" to control with smaller optics. We could use a large aspheric and can get close to the same beam divergence as a laser pointer, but laser diodes have such a small emitting surface area that they can obtain that low divergence with tiny aspheric lenses.

A certain thrower junkie is driving well-heatsinked xp-c at 1.5A constant, and most of the LEDs we pump higher currents through aren't rated for those currents at all. Maximum stated drive current for XP-E is still only 1A.

I'd be excited to see how the xp-c does with the smaller diameter optics in triple and quad optics.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like XP-E R4 cool white. It seems to work fairly well with small reflectors. I drive it at 1.2A

Status
Not open for further replies.