Xtar D06 turns on in water when switched off!

Klem

Enlightened
Clearly something wrong and perhaps the water earths the torch or the boat itself is 'live'. Does this happen in the ocean or just on the boat?

As for the light coming on in water...old trick with face-mask torches that turn on by screwing the head up is to leave them just off so the pressure of the water when descending turns them on.

Shark Shield (sales where I live have gone through the roof with the fourth person killed since September) uses a system of two stainless contacts that sense when the product is immersed and energises the device pulsing current into the 'tail'. You switch it on and then walk or jump into the water. only when immered does it function, and likewise switches off when you get out.

Last edited:

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
Happens on land and in the water at depth. What's unusual is that it only happens when the magnet is closest to the linear hall effect sensor.

I have also noticed corrosion around where the torch has been scratched through normal use. Seems the current from the torch head is conducting through the water to some bare metal on the handle. Not good.

Tambjaman

Newly Enlightened
Klem is spot on, there is current passing across, happens in salt water , usually evidenced by the led glowing low, and the torch cannot be turned off, leave it on until you can wash it in fresh water
Corrosion happens with some torches that use both alloy for head and battery holders , a very common problem as its only the anodizing that providing insulation, when this is broken the outside of your torch head is active
The Ultrafire W300, some Ugly lights, and now the newer 1400 Lumin Xm-l AKA BG-Q88 being sold on Ebay and on DX as a Fandyfire will rapidly corrode in salt water when turned off, once they are turned on you can see the little gas bubbles stop.
Theres a fellow on Ebay trying to sell a kit to fix this problem for $25
My experience is that there is no 1 simple fix, sometimes a small oring on the pill is enough, or super glue or heatsink compound on the threads between the pill and body is enough to achieve an open circuit
If corrosion continues I've seen it weld the pill , head and battery case together, after only 1 very expensive dive

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
XTAR's official response was to keep the torch screwed together while underwater and to jam something int he switch to prevent it from turning on when not intended. I use a rubber band to hold the switch down when diving. Not a huge deal. It is a fantastic torch for the size. Great waterproofing design.

wquiles

Flashaholic
Great waterproofing design.
Not trying to start a firestorm of comments, but if the light has these problems and can corrode/turn on in water/etc., then at least to me, it is NOT what "I" would call a "great" waterproofing design.

Will

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
:) Thanks Will. The issue happens when it is unscrewed slightly underwater, which it appears it is not meant to do. The torch is not supposed to be twist on/off. Out of water this acts as a safety lock-out. Seems this doesn't work as intended underwater. :-/

wquiles

Flashaholic
:) Thanks Will. The issue happens when it is unscrewed slightly underwater, which it appears it is not meant to do. The torch is not supposed to be twist on/off. Out of water this acts as a safety lock-out. Seems this doesn't work as intended underwater. :-/

Ahh, I understand better the situation now and makes more sense. Thanks for clarifying that ;)

Tambjaman

Newly Enlightened
Klem is spot on, there is current passing across, happens in salt water , usually evidenced by the led glowing low, and the torch cannot be turned off, leave it on until you can wash it in fresh water
Corrosion happens with some torches that use both alloy for head and battery holders , a very common problem as its only the anodizing that providing insulation, when this is broken the outside of your torch head is active
The Ultrafire W300, some Ugly lights, and now the newer 1400 Lumin Xm-l AKA BG-Q88 being sold on Ebay and on DX as a Fandyfire will rapidly corrode in salt water when turned off, once they are turned on you can see the little gas bubbles stop.
Theres a fellow on Ebay trying to sell a kit to fix this problem for $25
My experience is that there is no 1 simple fix, sometimes a small oring on the pill is enough, or super glue or heatsink compound on the threads between the pill and body is enough to achieve an open circuit
If corrosion continues I've seen it weld the pill , head and battery case together, after only 1 very expensive dive

b-bassett

Newly Enlightened
had a similar fault occur with a mag light head i made a few years ago.

even though i tried to make sure the head was completly isolated from the circuit. something must have been touching

with the torch head on, i had one hell of a current runing between the battery pack (7 ni-Mh D's in a mag tube) and the head, gave me nice tingles down one arm!!

with the head turn off the problem ceased, (though by that time id already taken my gear off and removed my battery from my wing just in case)

w