Xtar VP2 Charger Question

jds1

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to rechargable batteries and have a question about the different setting on this charger. Which voltage settings and charge current profiles are correct for the diffrent battery sizes? Thanks for the help!

Jeff

fmc1

Enlightened
The switch setting for 3.6V is for typical Lithium ion batteries that have a maximum charge voltage of 4.2V these are by far the most common. The 3.2V setting is for lithium phosphate batteries, if you have some of these more than likely you will know it because they are getting very hard to find. The 3.8V setting is for lithium ion batteries that require 4.35V for maximum charge, these are also hard to find and are very rare.

Now the current part, you have three choices on a VP2, .25A, .5A and 1A. Selection is based on battery capacity more than size. Sure bigger batteries with the same chemistry tend to have higher capacity than their smaller counterparts but not always. .5c or half the capacity is generally accepted as the sweet spot for charge current. With lithium ion chemistry a lower charge current less than .5C is fine and won't hurt anything, it just will take longer to charge. A little higher will shorten battery life and a lot higher could be dangerous. So anything rated at 2000mAh or more is ok to charge at 1A. Lower capacities you should adjust accordingly.

Frank

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm new to rechargable batteries and have a question about the different setting on this charger. Which voltage settings and charge current profiles are correct for the diffrent battery sizes? Thanks for the help!

Jeff

For me and I've had the VP2 for many years:

250mA 16340s and smaller

500mA 18350s and 14500s

1A Everything above 18350s/14500s.

Chris

jds1

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, just the info I was looking for!

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk