• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Yet another Fire~Fly Question...

moeman

Enlightened
Hi all,
Just picked up my first FF2 and i want to make it better...
ie not happy with the switch action and the optics.
i have found where people have modded a reflector but cannot seem to find what one i neeed that is available.
SOOOOOOOOOOO:
1) how do i make the switch work better(2 stage) so that it is off/low/hi at the same location each time?
2) where to get a good reflector for the light that will fit w/minimum modding(no fancy tools)?
3) what sandwiches can i use in it and what model did it originaly come with?
otherwise i loove the light and will be ordering a CR2 body
soon, and maybe ordering another one.
thanks,
chris

sithjedi333

Enlightened
Congratulations, it is an awesome light. Hope this is helpful:

1) how do i make the switch work better(2 stage) so that it is off/low/hi at the same location each time?

Check out this thread. The Dr. Scholls pad modification is what you're looking for.

2) where to get a good reflector for the light that will fit w/minimum modding(no fancy tools)?

You will need to buy the IMS 17mm SO17XA reflector and modify it. See the same thread above. You might be able to do it with a file and sandpaper, but I would recommend using a Dremel tool. It will yield an AWESOME beam, much better than the optics.

3) what sandwiches can i use in it and what model did it originaly come with?

If you have the original Fire~Fly, you have a Madmax+ WO. If you have the Fire~Fly II, the one with tailstanding capability, you have the Badboy 650. Any of the Madmax, Badboy and Nextgen Badboy series should work.

Good luck! All it takes is a little tweaking, which will be a fun and satisfying process. It is really a GREAT light!

sithjedi333

Enlightened
You can get them from dat2zip's Sandwich shoppe, same with other Firefly parts, sandwiches, etc.

Good luck!

moeman

Enlightened
allright, i found an o-ring to replace the spring clip, tuned and polished the optics abit(had to trim an o-ring to fit inside the head...
need to trim down the pad in the tail, too much resistance, now
and i have to say im much happier with the light now.
im going to order the reflector, cr2 body and a new lens next week.
thanks for the help, sithjedi333!!!
chris

dbrad

Newly Enlightened
I would be willing to help you out with the reflector. I've been filing them down myself to try to get a 'perfect' one, and I'm about to make a fourth attempt. Thing is, I'm starting to really enjoy it. I don't want to step on anyone's toes who's charging for this, but I have a couple decent ones lying around, and only one light, so if you want, PM me and I'll send one to you. -David

moeman

Enlightened
I have some tips for making/reforming the reflector to fit the FF2:
1) use a file, single cut... be patient, you get better results b/c less heat bild-up.
2) get the height where you want it befor working on the cone(sides).
3) dont take too much off the bottom, and you dont need to enlarge the opening.
4) this really should be 1, get some cottonballs and put one in the cone to protect the shiny surface. change it anytime you take it out to check progress.
5) you don't need to shape the outside, just use a rolling motion(with your wrist as you drag it across the file) and be sure to rotate the piece everytime. that way you get a smooth surface and an even cut.
im on my second one, i didn't take enough off the top before i took too much off the sides, caused some flaking of the shiny surface...(works great, im just anal...)
hope this helps.
chris