Yet another... Single AA, Forward clicky, Up to $40

badwolf716

Newly Enlightened
Help a noob. Please recommend led flashlight.

MUST be single AA, forward clicky, IPX8, budget $40 brand new.

Multiple modes are nice, but not important. I'm fine with just 2 modes: low & high.
I prefer it be compatible with 14500, but also not important.

I intend to use it for all sorts of things: edc, camping, reading, weapon light, etc.
so i prefer something durable and reliable, but I can't go over $40.

I did a bit of research and I found 2 so far:
Nitecore MT1A and Sunwayman R10A.
Please mention if you know of others that fit the bill.
And please... vote which you think is best. Thank you!

dml24

Newly Enlightened
Help a noob. Please recommend led flashlight.

Multiple modes are nice, but not important. I'm fine with just 2 modes: low & high.
I prefer it be compatible with 14500, but also not important.

I intend to use it for all sorts of things: edc, camping, reading, weapon light, etc.
so i prefer something durable and reliable, but I can't go over $40.

I did a bit of research and I found 2 so far:
Nitecore MT1A and Sunwayman R10A.
Please mention if you know of others that fit the bill.
And please... vote which you think is best. Thank you!

The Fenix E12 is an aa light that meets all your needs, IPX-8, three well spaced modes and si very reliable. The MT1a and R10A are also good lights.

E12 specs.
  • High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
  • Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
  • Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)

LD09 is another Fenix aa light, this one has clip that can be handy.

• High: 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes with Ni-MH battery; 56 minutes with Alkaline battery)
  • Mid: 55 Lumens (5 hours with Ni-MH battery; 3 hours with Alkaline battery)
  • Low: 8 Lumens (40 hours with Ni-MH battery; 50 hours with Alkaline battery)
    Both lights are less thatn $40. Happy shopping!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
badwolf716 said:

The Fenix E12 is an aa light that meets all your needs, IPX-8, three well spaced modes and si very reliable.

E12 does not have a forward clicky, same with t10/s/t etc.

Fenix e11 or ld09, thrunite archer 1a, streamlight protac 1aa, pelican 2350, nitecore mt1a, sunwayman r10a, jetbeam ba10 or klarus p1a; then budget lights tank007 tk507, shiningbeam I-mini, ITP C7, bronte ra10, and since you said multimode is not important, Romisen rc-g2; then if you go over budget swm v11r or splurge on a malkoff mdc aa.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
E12 does not have a forward clicky, same with t10/s/t etc.

Fenix e11 or ld09, thrunite archer 1a, streamlight protac 1aa, pelican 2350, nitecore mt1a, sunwayman r10a, jetbeam ba10 or klarus p1a; then budget lights tank007 tk507, shiningbeam I-mini, ITP C7, bronte ra10, and since you said multimode is not important, Romisen rc-g2; then if you go over budget swm v11r or splurge on a malkoff mdc aa.

Also there's the quark tactical qta, all just for reference in case of searches for similar with a little higher budget.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you visit a decent gun shop if you are thinking on using it as a weapon light as many are better than others and not all lights on here that are recommended are actually any good as a weapon light.The shooters on here i am sure will point out good weapon lights.

badwolf716

Newly Enlightened
...Fenix e11 or ld09, thrunite archer 1a, streamlight protac 1aa, pelican 2350, nitecore mt1a, sunwayman r10a, jetbeam ba10 or klarus p1a...

So what would be your 1st and 2nd choice out of the 9 you mentioned above? Thanks!

badwolf716

Newly Enlightened
I suggest you visit a decent gun shop if you are thinking on using it as a weapon light as many are better than others and not all lights on here that are recommended are actually any good as a weapon light.The shooters on here i am sure will point out good weapon lights.

I did that already. Unfortunately most gun shops (at least those near me) are experts on guns but just have passing knowledge on lights. And usually they are confined to high end lights that are over my budget.

and that's why this noob is here on cpf to get your expert opinion on lights :)

Also, it's not going to be my primary weapon light. Weapon light is just one of the possible uses. I will probably use it more for edc, camping, and reading. Thanks!

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So what would be your 1st and 2nd choice out of the 9 you mentioned above? Thanks!

Depending on your ui & tailstanding preferences, the ba10/p1a (same light) tailstands, & for single mode fans it can be locked into high by tightening the head & leaving it there. If you don't care about tailstandability or clip, & don't mind its plastic focusing optic, e11 has the same ui as those.

Since you mentioned weapon light & durability, first choice might actually be the sunwayman r10a- the only one out of all these that has dual springs (head & tailcap) and stainless steel rings at both ends. Know that it always turns on in high first (no mode memory), cycles to low with a quick press, has almost no knurling, and the word "elegance" printed on the light.

edit- btw the new ld09 should be a little nicer than e-series feni, with glass lens, antiroll, clip, but cycle-thru multimode with non hidden sos isn't my thing.

Last edited:
I did that already. Unfortunately most gun shops (at least those near me) are experts on guns but just have passing knowledge on lights. And usually they are confined to high end lights that are over my budget.

Also, it's not going to be my primary weapon light. Weapon light is just one of the possible uses. I will probably use it more for edc, camping, and reading. Thanks!

Just an FYI hardly anyone who works at a gun shop is an expert on guns. A lot of them are just trying to sell you what they have in stock. Few of them actually know a lot about guns. Fewer still will actually try and sell you what will fit your needs even if it's not something they carry or have in stock (or even at another gun shop) as opposed to something they have sitting on the shelf.

Out of the ones you mentioned I have experience with a number of Nitecore lights and have been very happy with them. I'd recommend you go with the Mt2a though as it's not much bigger for EDC and brighter. It's my EDC.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix LD09 is my favourite single AA light so far. Compact, simple and nice design. Pretty throwy beam character. I consider to get another 2 or more of this light and give to friends, so yes; I recommend it.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would agree the gun shops are pathetic on any knowledge of lighting but the shooters who hang round them like magnets are well clued up and will offer you far more information than what you will find here as they have spent the coin and cried in pain with the broken lights from the shocks and recoil.It is all very well well intended members suggesting this that and the other but unless they have used them whilst shooting themselves there recommendations are worthless.My Walther LGV although well damped in the recoil department would soon cause havoc to a light that was designed in the first place without the shooter in mind.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

On second thought if you're going to be doing much reading & minimal weapon lighting, I agree with swedpat, give something with a lower low than some of these a second look, or something with a diffused beam. The ld09 at least has an 8 lumen low. A bright spot in stark darkness, even on low isn't always so much fun to read with.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Shiningbeam Spark, with an single AA tube (he sells them separately)

Single AA on the gun, use two when camping...

all together, less than $30

badwolf716

Newly Enlightened
Just an FYI hardly anyone who works at a gun shop is an expert on guns. A lot of them are just trying to sell you what they have in stock. Few of them actually know a lot about guns...

I knew that. I was trying to be diplomatic. But now that you've said it, yes I agree.

On second thought if you're going to be doing much reading & minimal weapon lighting, I agree with swedpat, give something with a lower low than some of these a second look, or something with a diffused beam. The ld09 at least has an 8 lumen low. A bright spot in stark darkness, even on low isn't always so much fun to read with.

thanks to everyone for the replies! Much apprecited! Special thanks to Leon for more in depth input. I think I will go with fenix ld09. I'm sure the other brands mentioned are as good, but I just don't have the budget right now to take a risk. From a noob point of view and lurker on cpf it just seems to me that fenix is a more established and trusted brand compared to the others in this budget segment. Maybe later when I have more funds I will try others. It's a steep & slippery slope to flashoholic-ism but yes I'm going there haha