You think it's ok to eat foods manufactured in China

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think that at least some of the food coming out of China is safe to eat, but since I don't know which ones are, I try to stay away. The problem is that even for items made/produced in the U.S. and other countries, we don't know the source/safety of the ingredients...?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
After I took parasitology, food microbiology, and some others in school, I just stopped caring, because if I do I'd starve to death.

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot to mention in my first post that a close friend of mine and work colleague was born in China and he warned me some time ago not to comsume foods from China.

I also don't think for a minute that its just China that likes to "play" with our food. I can only imagine that we just hear about the tip of the iceberg at most.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
We stay clear of them. I believe they have questionable food handling practices and there are substitutes to use in place of their product. In Japan, one of our relatives who is a nutritionist has relayed of enough issues involving tainted food products. This goes back 3-4 years to current and her stance has not changed.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem(s) of poison being added to Chinese food for profit has been going on for a very long time and is systemic. Chinese food has been killing clusters of Chinese on a regular basis for a long time and no one in power cares enough to stop it. We are only hearing about this lately because now that the West imports food from China the same abuses are affecting members of a large group of people who believe that this behavior is unacceptable.

One may search for other CPF threads where this same topic has been hashed over (and over). In fact, at least one of those earlier threads was all about adding MELAMINE to foods, just like the cases in the news now. They were sorry, they fired someone, they executed someone -- and they pronounced the problem solved.

I do not knowingly buy Chinese food. We also buy food months in advance of it's use which makes others the canary in the coal mine for us, at least to a certain extent.

I suspect that the Chinese are actually learning lessons from all of this -- but I doubt that they are the lessons that would occur to most of us. I'd imagine that they would go out of their way to not poison our cats again. The outcry that was caused by that hurt them far more than killing humans in the West ever could have.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine that they would go out of their way to not poison our cats again. The outcry that was caused by that hurt them far more than killing humans in the West ever could have.

That's high on the list of dumbest things I've ever heard.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's high on the list of dumbest things I've ever heard.
Dumb doesn't enter into it. I've been following this story for a long time and no part of the melamine scandals had anywhere near the impact on Westerners as when their cats started to get sick and die.

Do a search of CPF and read what members wrote when their pets died. There has been no outrage that has come close to matching the anger over the pet food poisioning. Check it out for yourself.

It doesn't matter one wit that Westerners think more of their cats than they do of their aunt Lucy, that is not the issue. When it comes to 'hot button' issues the death of the family cal will trump Aunt Lucy nearly any day in the West when it comes to PR -- and PR is what the melamine issue has been all about from the start.

Illum

Flashaholic
The main suspect right now is milk products. Chinese plants have been found to be adding melamine to the milk to boost the nitrogen content and thus the apparent protein level.

Probably with the same intention in a different manner of adding high fructose corn syrup in everything here to boost god knows what level of the FDA criteria:ohgeez:

Melamine's been a food additive in China for at least a couple decades, just they have never been used in such quantities nor have they ever been tried out in baby formulas, frankly its not something you'd need to worry over too bad as long as your inputting/outputting water at a normal rate daily it wouldn't accumulate and turn into kidney stones.

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably with the same intention in a different manner of adding high fructose corn syrup in everything here to boost god knows what level of the FDA criteria:ohgeez:

Simple US government programs bought and paid for by Big Sugar (Google Search) which keeps sugar prices much higher in the US than anywhere else in the world (and also served to damage much of the Florida Everglades because of large farms making money supplying overpriced sugar).

-Bill

h_nu

Enlightened
Before melamine it was urea and we all know about lead in plastic. I choose not to take the chance on most Chinese products. That said, there are issues with other countries using pesticides banned here and they have issues with genetic engineering and hormones used in the US.