You will love this NASA penlight

Randall Foreman

Newly Enlightened
Re: You will love this NASA flashlight

Hi all,

We are so happy with the result of the funding campaign, and we have felt so much supported by you all that we have decided that or way of saying thank you is to allow each customer which date will be engraved on his light, real date or 7-1968.

But not just that. We have been working on a version without TIR lens, but with a traditional reflector and a sapphire lens. Well, we have it, and the backers are going to be able to choose from.

Best regards,

Javier

This is so cool!! Thank you Javier, that is a great thing and so glad the project funding is a success!! :D

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi all,

We are so happy with the result of the funding campaign, and we have felt so much supported by you all that we have decided that or way of saying thank you is to allow each customer which date will be engraved on his light, real date or 7-1968.

But not just that. We have been working on a version without TIR lens, but with a traditional reflector and a sapphire lens. Well, we have it, and the backers are going to be able to choose from.

Best regards,

Javier

This is great, thank you! Will the reflector version use the same XP-L HI emitter or will you go with something floodier, like a normal domed XP-L?

StudFreeman

Enlightened

Is this light available to pre-order still?
Found through Wikipedia, which cited a BBC article:"The airplane is 92% titanium inside and out. Back when they were building the airplane the United States didn't have the ore supplies – an ore called rutile ore. It's a very sandy soil and it's only found in very few parts of the world. The major supplier of the ore was the USSR. Working through Third World countries and bogus operations, they were able to get the rutile ore shipped to the United States to build the SR-71."

OutdoorsRandD

Newly Enlightened

Oh wow! What a cool idea! Too late to the party tough. 🙁 Been hiking the AT & off the grid. Are there going to be any more for sale? Saw the Kickstarter campaign ended just a week ago.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Once the head has been redesigned to accept both, TIR lense and reflector + glass and both solutions tested again to meet our standards, production was launched and we have everything almost ready; now parts will be brushed, then the laser marking will be done, it will take very little to be shipped to every owner.

Thanks for your support.

25643mf.jpg

2wc4q2t.jpg

m799j4.jpg

20tjcqa.jpg

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking fantastic!

A light from History, reborn.

Are people going to use them or keep them on a shelf?

Myself, it's a user.

Most probably will be used... even for those who think they won't use it. It is a very confortable light: warm, high CRI, nice distribution... and easy to put in pocket.

Johnnyh

Enlightened
Great! Looking forward! I will definitely use mine in the real world. Things like this need to be used so others can appreciate it as well.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these still available to purchase?

They will be after some time. By now they were just made for the kickstarter project supporters. We have made SS and Ti prototypes that I hope to release one day... It all will depend on the success of the current line.

Javier

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not I. No shipping notice either. Last update made it sound like they're close, but I guess not quite there yet. I'm looking forward to mine though.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i too am anticipating this light. i feel like i recall Javier mentioning that there would not be tracking provided for the lights in the comment section of kickstarter. i guess itll be one of those "pleasant surprises" when it shows up. to be honest though, the project has been delayed to the point that im not sure if i ever provided my shipping address to begin with.

edit: was anyone else bummed out about the TIR lens being dropped all together in favor of the reflector without any kind of beam comparison?

Last edited:

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, wouldn't you know it: I inquire here this morning, and boom my light shows up this afternoon. Delivered by UPS. Very nicely done, indeed! And the beam is perfect for the light's intended uses. I am very pleased. There is a little battery rattle when the light is off, but that is easily cured.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Well, wouldn't you know it: I inquire here this morning, and boom my light shows up this afternoon. Delivered by UPS. Very nicely done, indeed! And the beam is perfect for the light's intended uses. I am very pleased. There is a little battery rattle when the light is off, but that is easily cured.
Congrats !

Photo ... ? :D

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
thats awesome, hopefully that means more people will get theirs in the next couple days as well then. unfortunately, since its so close to Christmas i have given my wife permission to intercept said package and gift it to me.

mhphoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm crushed that I missed the kickstarter campaign. :mecry:

I'll be first in line to purchase from the next batch. PLEASE LET THERE BE A NEXT BATCH!

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today as well ( me and the wife exchanged gifts today). couple gripes, one the "on/off" that's engraved serves no purpose at all. if anything it makes it confusing which way to turn the head or body (this is my wife's observation, as I know how twisties work). second, she crushed the first set of batteries I put in it. lastly, and this is all me, I'm not a fan of this reflector set up. way too much spot for my liking. we were told early on in this thread not to worry about the lumen output because the lux would be extremely low with the the optic. that is no longer the case, the light is straight up blinding close up. it does make for a very useful general purpose beam... but I was expecting more of a close up power outage type light. I believe that's what would have been delivered if the switch wasn't made to reflector after the project was funded. nice light though, but under delivered in what I was expecting