Your Dream McGizmo ........

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
My dream McGizmo for now, is Ti-PD or -Twisty with sophisticated LE.

easilyled

Flashaholic
Originally, when i first thought about this thread, "Dream" meant something you want but can't get. In another way it can mean something you have and cherish immensely. I have one from the latter.

LS27-Cx2 3-stage. Brighter DS Nichia's and a buck converter 650-750 ma. The flood is quite bright and the spot is now on par with the PD-S. I find it excellent outdoors around the house. Indoors, where the flood would be a little too bright the tail switch has a dropping resistor for a reduced output. Though not an ultra-low still dim enough to keep my night vision.
  1. Low Flood
  2. Normal Flood
  3. High spot
The space around the rubber switch cap has room to fit 3 tritium vials in my favorite red-white-blue array. :twothumbs

Wow, sounds awesome.

How on earth did you manage to make this a reality? :faint:

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I really like what Don has been doing with the LunaSol series lights. But I am hooked on the look of the original six flute PD. I would love to see an aluminum version of the PD re-released with the GDuP driver board. I know that Don has said that he won't be revisiting the PD.

So being a realist, I guess that my ideal light would be a PD like this. I would have a hard time taking a $500+ light out of the house.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Some mention has been made about an LS20 with only the Nichias on, or only the Golden Dragon on, but not with both on at the same time. I "invented" that today:twothumbs

When the top cap in my Surefire CR123 battery started to dent slightly, the light went into either/or mode ... which I didn't care for ... can't see why anyone would want this. Popped in a new Surefire batt and the LS20 went back to normal operation.

For those who might want this special mod, I'll make up batteries like that for only $49.95 each, much cheaper than a specialty driver:crackup:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
risk of explosive venting?
LMAO:thinking:

I think that the SF cell it a tad long ... maybe a millimeter more than the LS20 needs for proper function. Twisting to full on (which I do much more often than a piston push) eventually compressed the positive terminal. Don can explain better what happened, but it was interesting.

Kiessling

Moderator,
Full-On ... is that when high-mode engages and when you feel a slight stop in the moving action ... or is that when not even your strong hands can possibly turn the head any further? :nana: :D

precisionworks

Flashaholic
not even your strong hands can possibly turn the head any further?
The problem is most likely caused when I go to high mode ... I usually twist til the head will go no more, which is farther than needed. I'll try to be a little less forceful:oops:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
For those of you expressing interest in PD-S, it looks like I will be doing one last wave. I spoke with the machine shop today and they are game for me placing a "small" order on Ti components.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
For those of you expressing interest in PD-S, it looks like I will be doing one last wave. I spoke with the machine shop today and they are game for me placing a "small" order on Ti components.

Wow... There will be so many people on the internet, hitting refresh, viewing the McGizmo threads waiting for the wave to hit. You have just caused the production for a lot of companies to go down. :laughing:

Rico801

Newly Enlightened
Very cool! Best news I have heard in awhile. I keep missing these waves though...

starfiretoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great News! Any chance of seeing a few with the original McLuxIII-T body sans piston drive?

easilyled

Flashaholic

That's yet another very good gesture on your part, since it was not what
you were originally planning and yet you are going out of your way to
accomodate our wishes.

toby_pra

Flashaholic

Wuhuuu very very intersting news...will you use the new SSC U2?:cool:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Great News! Any chance of seeing a few with the original McLuxIII-T body sans piston drive?

Interesting that you bring this up. I had considered for a moment, doing this small run as a twisty run but with the Seoul LED and not the Luxeon used in the original twisty sets. However, there were a couple things going against such an idea.

First, a PD can be used solely as a twisty but a twisty will never have the option of momentary via piston.

Second, the twisty pak would need to be redesigned with proper geometry to function properly on the present "x2" heads. Asking the machine shop to first article and write a new program for a "Mark 2" twisty pak would be pushing it on such a small run and not without additional costs.

I presently have pistons and sleeves scheduled in with the shop (these are for more LunaSol 20's). Adding more quantity to this job in process is not a great problem and actually welcomed by the machine shop.

The short answer is no, no chance of a "few" twisty paks in this wave.

If he didn't, would he ever hear the end of it? :devil:

I have 40 Seoul U bin LED's mounted on heat sinks right now. I have sapphire windows, Ti bezel rings and GDx2 converters. This was the basis of deciding to go forward one last wave of the PD-S. At this point, it looks like I won't be able to move forward with the LunaSol 20's and SunDrops until the end of August which means probably September. With any luck, I can get a wave of PD-S done during this "idle time". However if I will never hear the "end of this", perhaps I should reconsider? :shrug: :thinking:

No matter, I have committed to doing more of the PD-S lights and they will be of the same build and configuration as the previous waves. Yes, there might be an improvement of 15-20% in flux if I were to secure new LED's and get more aluminum heat sinks made for them. This is not in the cards however.

It now looks like it will be the end of August and more likely September before I can again move forward with the LunaSol 20 and SunDrop lights. Presumably during the "idle" time I can get this wave of PD-S processed.

OK, while typing this, I realized I hadn't checked all of my "ducks" and just left the computer to look into these ducks. Well one box of windows which contains 100 pieces was on the shelf and I was good to go until I just opened it and found it only contains about 10 windows! :banghead:

These problems are not your problems guys but they do effect what is ultimately available. A small builder like myself can't just go down to the hardware store and pick up what they need. You rarely can dictate a minimum quantity either.

At this point, I think I need to state that I have a pretty full plate and I will do what I can but no idea just what that might be.

Latest posts