your favorite walking shoes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@Toulouse42 over here we have a brand called Skechers that are great....at first. Then the insoles just die. While the shoes are still comfortable in general the support is gone, leading to foot pain. I have found that upgrading insoles can have a dramatic effect in a positive way. Work boot insoles tend to last the longest. Keen, Timberland Pro Design and Carolina are brands I prefer. Each about $25 US. Perhaps try some work boot insoles.

You mentioned Rockport shoes. If you can find their insoles, those are great too. Especially adiprene. The adiprene insoles shoes I showed in the original post held up for 5 years. They were still good but the stitching in the shoes began to disintigrate due to the life they lived. Motor oil, radiator coolant, transmission fluid, gasoline spilled on them while working on cars plus walking mile after mile in junkyards while acquiring used parts for said cars took its toll. But at the end of the day my feet weren't complaining.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
RedHead suede moc slip-ons (@ BassPro and Cabela's) -- I've found these to be very comfortable. And occasionally they come on sale for $40.

Merrell Jungle Moc slip-ons -- Another shoe I find extremely comfortable. Though, the sole doesn't grab very well on damp or slick surfaces. But otherwise they're stellar (at least for me). A little spendy for a basic "walking" shoe.

Particularly when pairing with the Tread Labs insoles (where I can select the specific arch height that works best for my feet).

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
The RCMP (Canadian version of US Swat teams) wear these Italian made boots.
No PRC made junk to mess up their feet!
The USD is old price. Could have gone way up today with recent delays and shortages.
Screenshot_20201023-183020_Outlook.jpg

I don't think there's a better approach boot. Fits my feet like a glove, most comfortable boot ever worn.

Last edited:

Toulouse42

Enlightened
bykfixer. Yes I agree about the Rockport insoles. For some reason Rockport shoes are almost impossible to get here (at a sane price). My wife and I used to visit the US fairly regularly and in those days I would always buy a pair of my favourites which would last a few years. They were the World Tour Mens Classic and were very comfortable and lasted years. I'm not hard on shoes so my current ones are a huge disappointment. I can however get MEINDL insoles which are very similar. I'm going to try to get the current insoles out and replace them. They're well glued in though.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Oh by the way. I read that Rockport moved their manufacture from Thailand (?) to India a few years back and that the fit and comfort are no longer the same. Another reason I hesitate to buy shoes online.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rockport had been bought by Reebok at one point who was later bought by Addidas. I forget what they did but they did something that caused Addidas to want to sell Rockport. They did nut it was an ugly divorce that's still being battled in courts. Part of the snag is Rockport shoes being sold in foreign markets.