your favorite walking shoes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Once upon a time I had me some of those checkered Vans slip on shoes that were made famous from the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Life goes by and things get lost. I bought another pair in the early 90's when Vans were still made in America. Man, I loved those shoes. Not long ago I went digging through my old closet at my pop's house and found some nice old relics yet no checkered slip on's. Dratz.

Eh, I'll be ok I thought. A few weeks went by and the ocd voices convinced me to go to the mall and buy some more. Things hadn't changed much. They were slabs in the 80's and still are today. Origin of manufacture was the only real change. I slid in a set of Dr Scholl's odor eaters and was set. The little extra padding made a big dif.

Then one day I stumbled across an online clearance sale on checkered slip on Comfy Cush shoes at a huge skateboard e-store called CCS. The so-called Comfy Cush line differs from Comfy Cush insoles that are installed in some of the models. The actual CC line are a simplified construction in a much lighter weight shoe along with a softer, better supportive sole and insert. The difference is striking.

Both shoes weigh about as much as one of the classic model. Walking in them is like going from a go kart to a automobile. They're not squishy. Matter of fact when walking on carpeting they feel a bit stiffer. When encountering a hard surface the difference becomes obvious. It's like walking on shock absorbers.

The toe box area is roomier, the covering over the padding around the ankle is improved and the heel cup is sturdier, oh and a few millimeters taller.

Unlike many Vans with removable Comfy Cush insoles these are glued in. They have a cordura type covering and an arch support you hardly notice but is definitely there.

3-AA4-F0-A2-CCC8-4-C02-857-C-914-F90-E759-EA.jpg

A classic versus the new Comfy Cush profile. Top is the new kind.
Pretty close to the same look, but mucho more improved.

BEEC9023-AC6-F-48-C3-8395-B2-FBBCC58943.jpg

The sole has some built in shock absorption too.
Top is the new kind.

Now Vans says they are moisture wicking throughout. Got me how that works. So I did something old school to create positive ventilation. Installed some 5/32" eyelets.

448914-C1-38-D0-43-C1-962-E-647978-BF23-DB.jpg

Ordinary house holds tools. Awl to poke a hole, scissors to trim the hole(s), mini needle nose shapes the inside half of the eyelet a bit to keep it in place until the needle nose vice grips squish the eyelet anvil style.
The key is a tight hole and when the eyelet is inserted you massage around the outside to ensure no cloth is covering the inner portion when applying pressure with the vice grips.

3267-FB6-E-AE88-467-D-9-BEB-66-C734-AB965-D.jpg

The finished product.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Rockport has a slip on version of their popular XCS series.
2-B2231-E4-5862-4-B49-BAF8-EA8-F2-E906-CC7.jpg

I've had my tie up version for so long I had forgotten to see if they still make them since I stashed a couple of pairs back when I started this thread back in 2015. See post 1 for the tie up version. I'm on pair #2 with #3 still stashed. But yesterday I was in the store that sells them and gladly they still carry them. And now a slip on version that fit very well. They slip on easily and stay on well.

At some point Rockport was purchased by Addidas. The original XCS had what are called Adiprene insoles from Addidas soccer shoes. Well it seems Rockport got a divorce from Addidas and filed chapter 11 after having to pay Addidas a bunch of money in the process. No more Adiprene insoles, which was the charm of XCS shoes for all day comfort. Now they use "trutech" insoles that are a hybrid of neoprene and memory foam with some kind of moisture control something or other. But are they like wearing shoes with Adiprene insoles? In short, yes. But better. Same all day comfort with better odor control and now they are replaceable too. The original tie up kind also have the replaceable trutech insoles now.
They used to run between $85 and $95. Now they are $75 to $79. So it turns out they are at least as good as they used to be while costing a little bit less. It was like going to the grocery store and seeing green Kool Aid again. Woohoo!!

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Sadly my favorite comfortable walking shoes was originally a Nike pair with velcro straps. When they were discontinued I went to Walmart and bought their cheap velcro shoes and they were good and both me and my dad wore them for decades and as they were cheap we would have 2-3 pairs of them using the old pairs for lawn moving and such till they completely fell apart. They were great till some idiot decided that everyone in the world now has fat feet and they stopped selling "normal" width velcro shoes entirely along with everyone else and till I found some at Academy sports the only choice I had was a $90 pair of new balance and my budget was only about $30 at most. I still am buying the academy sports velcro shoes but compared to the fit of the walmart ones in the past they are considerably wider and don't last as long and not as comfortable either. I think the "normal" sizes of shoes has changed to wider than normal because I bought some work shoes with protective toes that are too wide in that area and my feet slide and chafe my big toes so much I had to wear a piece of foam around them to stop the pain and buildup of huge callouses. Since my feet are narrow I don't like boots or anything that is high top because the heels tend to be lose and hard to keep my heel from sliding on high top versions.
I've found since I've gotten older my toes hurt after being on my feet all day too.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you find the perfect shoe - get spares. I've got three pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D - all the same style. First purchased in 2016 and two in 2020.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
When you find the perfect shoe - get spares. I've got three pairs of Salomon XA Pro 3D - all the same style. First purchased in 2016 and two in 2020.
The problem is the perfect shoe vanished over 20 years ago and my spares wore out over 17 years ago now I'm using adequate shoes but not as good of a fit and affordable in my current financial state. I tend to walk a lot and wear out shoes more than I used to because I am also about 20-30 lbs heavier too.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Several posts ago I mentioned how Simple shoes has been revived. The new owner was using a small site to sell directly to consumers bypassing the middle man. In August the Hurley family quietly purchased Simple shoes. This could be big, or result in another small company bought by a big company only to be sold at fire sale price later. Time will tell.

In the meantime Simple makes some mighty comfy, mighty durable shoes with an old school flair.

On another note, famous hiking shoe maker Keen has entered the work boot market with a bang. The original models were fashioned like hikers but with reflective stitching, rubber toe cap and super good insoles. Some are domestic US made and some are made in Asia. Both at decent prices to sock good old Red Wing with an upper cut to the chin.

Last year they introduced a wedge sole style boot with a 74a durometer urethane out sole infused with millions of air bubbles. The result is a cross between an athetic shoe and a work boot. The original model the San Jose is an ugly old Craftsman looking number. It has a similar look and feel. Instead of a crepe sole it uses the urethane outsole with a thin slab of firm rubber to walk on. They have added to that line with one called the Colorado that looks just like those old Craftsman numbers down to the replaceable soles.
I wear the dark brown San Jose at work standing and walking for 10-12 hours a day and my knees definitely appreciated the air infused urethane.

3977-A2-DB-8513-4210-B9-BD-1507-C1288-A9-B.jpg

Last edited:

chip100t

Enlightened
Normally I live in various merrell footwear but due to the lockdown have lived in recent times in a pair of crocs.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zero shoes or Tadeevo

I squat, deadlift and walk in those shoes.

Once you go zero drop minimalist shoes you just don't go back.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Today I had a hankering to find some leather Hey Dude type shoes but better. Hey Dude are paper light slip on shoes with really soft crepe soles and usually a canvas or even hemp upper that are so light they float. An Italian brand that has started a market and lots of other companies have joined in.
1854EFB5-1B53-46BA-A0DC-65CC8072C5DB.jpeg

Great for casual wear, grocery getters or around the house etc but not real durable and offer very little support over a period. Yet they sure are comfy.

I wanted something more substantial yet along the same lines regarding light weight and comfy. I remembered some boot makers had some and I kept thinking they were just over priced Hey Dude's and never really checked them out until today. I found some by boot maker Twisted X that use Keen style air infused urethane soles, nice washable orthotic insoles and a thin leather upper.
24C20B6B-7E36-4805-8F1A-95256D1D6933.jpeg

I bought them earlier today and have been wearing them doing a bunch of standing and walking with good results. The bulbous looking rear took a bit of getting used to. But my knees and ankles don't mind. My feet don't seem to mind either.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I have a bad hip that makes putting on shoes and socks a challenge.
I decided to get a pair of "Step in Shoes"
I decided on the Kizik brand. They arrived a week ago.

My ortho said that my left leg is 1/4 to 1/2 inch shorter than my right, and after he puts in a new hip, that will be corrected, and that I may experience some back pain/discomfort as my body readjusts to walking evenly. I thought that I could get a jump on that by using a heel lift in my left shoe. I have a pair of custom orthotics, that I rarely use and decided to try the left one which would give me about a 3/8 inch left.

I'm happy to report that the shoe has enough give to allow me to wear it with the orthotic in it.

I've worn them on and off, and yesterday, I wore them all day. They work well as advertised, and can be just stepped in. I have said, that they are not uncomfortable, but they are not as comfortable as my NuBalance sneakers. NuBalance feels as though they were made for my feet.

For me, these shoes will be more comfortable with a more supportive arch support.

So all in all, I would give them an 8 out of 10.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't ask me how I do it, but I can go all day wearing slip-ons.. I like that they shoot off and on in seconds.
We (a few of my clan) practice leaving shoes at doorway while entering house. This makes them convenient for me, during Summer anyway..

New Slip-on Pro need to sit out for at least a week to let glue fumes gas-out..
Fresh brand new Vans closed up in a hot room, who needs a crack pipe!
IMG_20220830_090029497_HDR.jpg

I won't brag about my shoe size :grin2:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vasque Breeze. It's the most popular type of hiking boot or shoe thru hikers use on the Pacific Crest Trail. Built to last several hundred trail miles.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Don't ask me how I do it, but I can go all day wearing slip-ons.. I like that they shoot off and on in seconds.
We (a few of my clan) practice leaving shoes at doorway while entering house. This makes them convenient for me, during Summer anyway..

New Slip-on Pro need to sit out for at least a week to let glue fumes gas-out..
Fresh brand new Vans closed up in a hot room, who needs a crack pipe!
View attachment 31422
I won't brag about my shoe size :grin2:
True-dat about them wofting a new rubber smell for a time. The glue is water based these days.

The latest version called slip on pro are definitely a cut above the previous versions regarding support for old knees and feet. Trouble I have with Vans is they run so narrow anymore since they started production in Vietnam and Korea.

I saw this post and chuckled since today I had picked out a fat old surfer dude ensemble for work complete with Magnum PI style shirt.
D6AD6DAB-E400-43F4-B24D-EFFCC337DB55.jpeg

And Vans promo shoes for some snowboard company. Public snowboards?
The soles are clear so their company logos can be seen underneath. They were on clearance and fit just right (for a change). Edit, they have begun to blister my heel area. Time for a shoe stretcher or mole skin. Being I have moleskin in stock we'll start with that.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
58357CDF-32E8-4C23-8A93-5C1290255420.jpeg

Going to try these Simple S1 slip on shoes.
Simple is having a big "holiday" sale. These were $27 plus shipping.
A long time ago (circa 1993) a fellow in San Louis Abisbo California started Simple shoes. They had a large enough following that eventually a giant company bought them. They were more durable and more comfy than the other brands of skateboard shoes. The giant company claim to fame was "earth friendly" skate/surf shoes. Simple were actually earth friendly in some ways using recycled rubber for soles, organic cotton for laces, recycled metal eyelets and they even had a model made from recycled plastic.

But the giant company decided to focus their resources on the more sexy brands they owned so Simple just faded away until 2011 when they ceased operations. The other more sexy brands were not earth friendly but had made in roads in the fashion industry. Simple were seen as plain old shoes. Not sexy. Funny how fashion works. Let's pay more for less since so n so wore it at the tv awards ceremony.

In the down turn period prior to 2011 Simple started an adult kickball league and had teams all across America so like Airwalk brand they became an old guy shoe brand for a while. But the kickball league idea worked. Not enough to revive the brand according to the "big company". Yet the Simple brand was not forgotten. They had a cult following and went for max $ on eBay for new old stock.

In 2015 a graphic designer asked to buy the rights and designs of Simple shoes and was granted such. He played around for a bit to see if it was viable to restart the company. In 2017 he pulled the trigger and began to sell the basic 2 best seller models and some clogs. Slowly the brand gained traction and new styles along with new models were added. I bought a few styles at that point.

I was a big fan of a model called SLO that was introduced around 2019. SLO is for San Louis Abisbo. A cotton canvas shoe made of recycled cotton with recycled metal shoe lace eyes and brick red recycled rubber soles.
9B7AD25B-6EA3-4761-BDB5-772FE37D0EB5.jpeg

They were just dam comfy shoes.
But they didn't sell very well it seems. I didn't wear them because they're earth friendly. I like the look because of a retro aspect from the days of Converse Winners.

One day another fellow bought the Simple brand. He had once been the owner of a small surf wear maker who sold it to a giant surf wear company. He used some of the profits to inject cash into small companies like Simple to re-invent the brand as a viable alternative to those big brands.

I kept after the graphic designer to make them in slip on to no avail. Well the new owner took the SLO idea and called it S1. The SLO were great for kicking around, working in the garden and such but only lasted minutes with a kick flipping skateboarder. The S1 were more durable. Afterall, Simple is a skateboard shoe, not a shuffle board shoe for Heavens sake. And now the S1 has a slip on version (finally).

Last edited: