Z2 Combat Light

ven

Flashaholic
I am sure i use all the sureifre lens and they are much thicker than others. Gasket, lens, bezel ring nipped by that palm of my hand. I dont even need to use the tool much to tighten. Plus you get a feel for how tight, as long as nipped, it wont go anywhere. When it starts to slip on your palm, its tight enough!.

I need to get some surefire use, my flashlight use has been lacking. :fail:

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I cranked it down pretty tight with the plastic tool so as not to scratch it. I wish it was a bit tighter fit though as I would like a bit more compression on the gasket before the bezel bottoms out on the head. I may try and source a slightly thicker gasket. The lens doesn't rattle but, I would feel better about the water tightness if there was a bit more compression on the gasket. No big deal for now though as I don't exactly plan to beat in this thing(at least until I get another lol).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

thermal guy

Flashaholic
You know like a year ago I bought my first Z2. Now I have like 5. They are great lights.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know like a year ago I bought my first Z2. Now I have like 5. They are great lights.
Yep, one the greatest body designs in flashlight history imo. SF was always so far ahead of the times with their designs. Many of their designs from a decade ago or even multiple decades ago still best designs of today imo. Almost my entire flashlight lineup is E or Z/P/C/G compatible and I don't see that changing anytime soon, if ever, for this reason as well as many others(user serviceable, modular, support from many aftermarket companies, etc.).

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I don't. But was going to do that. But started looking at wall thickness and thought twice about it. Didn't look like there would be a lot of meat left. Could be wrong though.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't. But was going to do that. But started looking at wall thickness and thought twice about it. Didn't look like there would be a lot of meat left. Could be wrong though.
This is definitely true for the Z2, but the Z3 has a fair amount of "meat" where the flats are.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
This is definitely true for the Z2, but the Z3 has a fair amount of "meat" where the flats are.
The thinnest part is under the o-ring groove, an identical dimension for either light, so I believe that area to be the most vulnerable.
The 18-mm boring debate has been worn /very/ thin over the years (with much CPF discussion easily findable via Google Search), so it would be nice to not revisit it here in detail.
Am not speaking as a staff member here, just wanted to send an FYI that this debate has already been explored rather thoroughly. :)

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
The thinnest part is under the o-ring groove, an identical dimension for either light, so I believe that area to be the most vulnerable.
The 18-mm boring debate has been worn /very/ thin over the years (with much CPF discussion easily findable via Google Search), so it would be nice to not revisit it here in detail.
Am not speaking as a staff member here, just wanted to send an FYI that this debate has already been explored rather thoroughly. :)
It's OK to continuously remind members of the risks of over-boring, no matter how many times that has been discussed.
If they don't listen then it's their problem when a bore job goes wrong -- they have been warned...

So just to reiterate, for a ~18.9mm bore there will be just around 35C of thickness left at the o-ring groove area. Some machinists think it's still strong enough, but not all agree.
I'd say, maintaining a minimal thickness of at least 50C would be safer, even though that would sacrifice some protected hi-cap 18650 compatibility.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
With 16mm cells getting pretty good, why bore anymore?

Battery standardization. But if given a do-over, I would probably go exclusively with 16mm plus spacers. 3 years ago, lacking this expert knowledge, I bought my 6Ps bored (from Bugsy). Fortunately I've had no problems.

At least my Z2 is stock!

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery standardization. But if given a do-over, I would probably go exclusively with 16mm plus spacers. 3 years ago, lacking this expert knowledge, I bought my 6Ps bored (from Bugsy). Fortunately I've had no problems.

At least my Z2 is stock!
My understanding is that there aren't many good 16650/17670 out there these days. The AWs are way too outdated (and obsolete), but the current Pana one (in the guise of Keepower protected, for example) must charge up to 4.35V to achieve the advertised 2500mAh.

By contrast a good quality but unprotected 3500mAh 18650 can fit into slightly narrower bores without issue, say, ~18.7mm, meaning the o-ring groove neck can be kept at slightly thicker (40-50C).

The other thing is that a well-bored C-body (6P especially) usually increases resale value. That doesn't mean one can make a fortune from that, however -- it depends on luck and hard work. The bore needs to be consistent, has upper side battery guard lip (some don't AFAIK), and optionally, reamed and honed for a smoother feel for battery sliding.

But NO, Z2/Z3/C2/C3 hosts are not ideal for bore mod. When a bore job goes wrong, so does the (precious) body concerned.
That said, HAIII reanodize is something highly suggested, as the stock HAII does't last for very long, before nicks, dings, chips develop in the long run.

But LiIon-wise, as long as the C-body's stock bore needs to be preserved, your best bet would be the Pana 16650 (2500mAh/4.35V).

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my Z2's are bored. Most were done by Oveready. There are no issues at all. The Z2 is my prefered Surefire P60 light. I have tons of Z2's :D I love the Z2's combat grip a lot. If I remember correctly I have somewhere in my parts box still a sealed Z2 ...

At all the Surefire P60 hosts are a great piece of history. Unfortunately in the last years the Surefire products were not that interesting anymore to me. My last Surefire was a Surefire Aviator Blue, I was bored and wanted to buy a Surefire. That was my last one... :(

Here some Z2's I own:

30OI4P8.jpg

qW94Lm1.jpg

Last edited:

yazkaz

Flashlight Enthusiast
All my Z2's are bored. Most were done by Oveready. There are no issues at all. The Z2 is my prefered Surefire P60 light. I have tons of Z2's :D I love the Z2's combat grip a lot. If I remember correctly I have somewhere in my parts box still a sealed Z2 ...
OR might have done some really nice C-body customizations, but that's history now as they're moving on to their own Boss systems.

AFAIK OR's 18mm bore measures ~18.6mm which IMO is conservative, but at safe levels, even though some protected 18650s (or anything poorly wrapped for that reason) won't fit in.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the camo and yellow Z2s. A multi cam OR popped up on the WTS a number of months ago and I delayed (ultimately sold to another member). Still bent about that...

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good points yazkaz. I have a few keepower 16650s, purchased exclusively for my Z2. Only light I own that has a specific matched battery.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
[...] HAIII reanodize is something highly suggested, as the stock HAII does't last for very long, before nicks, dings, chips develop in the long run.)
HA is Type-III anodizing; so saying either "HA" or Type-III is sufficient.
Furthermore, there is no such thing as HAII; that is called Type-II anodizing.

-----

All of my favorite SF's are 18-mm bored & I use them heavily; most of them were bored conservatively by OR/TL, and I've been very very satisfied.

My very few oversized cells can go in my Bugsy-bored 6Z or my 18mm-bodied U2 thanks Bill - which I note has a steel insert reinforcing the vulnerable rear o-ring area, and subsequently loads 18650's from the front.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally I would go outside with my camera equipment and take pictures. But since Europe and Germany also is in "Hybernate" state I did a picture of my Ceracote Z2's a few minutes ago.

From left to Right (all Z2s are Cerakoted):
OR Camo, OR GITD White, Schoolbus Yellow (*), Bugsy Orange, Bugsy Burnt Bronze and a Bronze HDS that will not start with Patina :( - but I like the look of my "still new Looking" Bronze HDS also.
(*) Don't remember the CPF user anymore, who offered the cerakote service…

0JAeh28.jpg

But since the Cerakote is easy to Scratch and to wear out the Cerakote, this 5 Z2's are my Z2 Shelf Queens not intended to be used. The other Z2s I own are in normal use.

Last edited: