Zebralight H501 Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapkil

Enlightened
Re: Zebralight H501 specs

Wapkil, thanks again for another informative picture. I thought I mistakenly received a warm tint version, but after seeing your picture I now know the H501w is a significantly warm version. I guess I'm used to cool tints like my old H50, which looks a little ice blue compared to the regular H501.

Thank you for the kind words. I've learnt quite a bit on this forum and I'm happy to be finally able to contribute something that may be useful for others.

As you could see in my first posts in this thread, I was in the same situation. All the LED lights I have previously seen were quite blue so when I saw an H501 with its practically even color balance, I wasn't at first sure whether it's a perfect Q5 or some strange kind of a cool-warm 5A. I wish all the Q5 light were like that.

wapkil

Enlightened

Does "warm" mean peach-colored like the pics from wapkil?

I think that, depending on the interpretation, the picture I've shown may exaggerate the warmth of Q3 5A. If I compare the zebras side by side, when they are really close to the surface they are illuminating, the picture shows how it looks like. In more usual situation when the distance from the surface is bigger and the beam wider, it's easier for the brain to accommodate so the difference is still visible but less pronounced. I'd say that my H510w is somewhere in the middle between the incandescent light and the H501. To my eye the colors in the warm light of H501w are closer to the correct ones but it may be simply because I'm used to the incandescent lighting. And I have not yet compared the lights outdoors.

Well, reading what I wrote I see that I cannot really explain how I perceive these lights. Especially since I'm still not sure which one I like better. All I can say is that I think any of them is worth buying :)

wapkil

Enlightened

I believe no one has written yet a full review of the H501 so in the meantime I performed a short comparison between my H501 and H501w for different batteries. The test was highly un-scientific since I simply compared illumination as measured by my Cannon camera with the CHDK alternative firmware installed.

For NiMH battries (Eneloops) the brightness difference between the H501 and the H501w is similar to 20% reported by ZebraLights. I think that, because of the nature of my tests, the precise numbers I obtained are rather meaningless but the difference was a few percentage points higher for the low mode than for medium and high. And that's consistent with what I see. In the low mode H501w appears dimmer. In the remaining modes the colors are different but I couldn't see which light is brighter.

On freshly charged Li-Ions the low and medium modes are similar to what can be seen on NiMHs. The high mode, on the other hand, is dimmer. On Eneloops the high mode was approximately 30 times brighter than the low while on Li-Ions the figure was only 15 times. The lights were half as bright in the high mode on Li-Ions than in this mode on NiMHs.

The last battery chemistry I checked were lithium primary cells (Energizer L91s). And the strange thing happened - with the batteries freshly out of the box the low mode was approximately 30% dimmer than for NiMHs and the high mode was 30% brighter. If the high mode for NiMHs is 96 lumens that would be 125 lumens for fresh lithiums. The brightness in the high mode immediately started to drop and after literally few seconds the output in all the modes was only a few percentage points higher than on NiMHs. I checked it for different cells and the situation was always the same. Maybe the H501 behaves strangely because it doesn't like the initial voltage of L91s but after a few seconds the voltage drops to the acceptable level? I haven't measured the cells immediately after the test but after an hour or so the used ones had 1.7V OC voltage while the fresh ones were 1.8V.

I hope that one of the excellent reviewers of this forum will perform the usual test because it looks like the results may be interesting.

mkane

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the attempt at some pictures.:twothumbs

I have a 501 on the way from goinggear.com and when I get it - in the next couple of days - I will post some photos comparing it and my PT EOS with the Rebel emitter.

I went to the www.goinggear.com website and they list 4 ZebraLights at higher prices than ZebraLight including a new ZebraLight model the H50b I never heard of. It says:

"The Zebralight H50b is the same as the H50, but with an 80 degree reflector instead of the 120 degree one on the H50."

www.goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=89

What is going on here? The pictures of it look just like the H50 but the spec calls this 80 degrees with reflector. I don't see any reflector in the picture. This looks kind of strange to me. Has anyone ordered from goinggear.com before?:thinking:

This may be a good question for Lillian Xu at ZebraLight.

Last edited:

ZebraLight

Enlightened

I went to the www.goinggear.com website and they list 4 ZebraLights at higher prices than ZebraLight including a new ZebraLight model the H50b I never heard of. It says:

"The Zebralight H50b is the same as the H50, but with an 80 degree reflector instead of the 120 degree one on the H50."

www.goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=89

What is going on here? The pictures of it look just like the H50 but the spec calls this 80 degrees with reflector. I don't see any reflector in the picture. This looks kind of strange to me. Has anyone ordered from goinggear.com before?:thinking:

This may be a good question for Lillian Xu at ZebraLight.

It should read "with an 80 degree lens".

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

I went to the www.goinggear.com website and they list 4 ZebraLights at higher prices than ZebraLight including a new ZebraLight model the H50b I never heard of.

Umm...every US dealer that sells ZL products have them priced higher than the ZL website. Perhaps you just don't know this???

What is going on here? ... Has anyone ordered from goinggear.com before?:thinking:

Certainly nothing as nefarious as your post implies. This - the 501 - is my third order from the site. I, as well as many others here, have had nothing but great customer service from there.

A simple email to the site purveyor probably would have answered your question here...

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

I have been catching up on reading about the H501, and might have missed it, probably the only important info about this light. What is the lux at one meter. A flood light such as the Zebralights should only be measured in lux, not lumens, and good info would be center lux and spill lux at one meter. Subjective info is nice but we after all are flashaholics and should expect more. I am preaching again, flashaholics need to have lux meters if just to compare their own lights to each other. Lux meters are different, each of them and will give different reading, each of them, however you can gain all kinds of info by comparing lux of one light to lux of another light that you own. Even with some error noted it would be nice if someone, anyone of use flashaholics would post lux readings for the H501 when they get it. Preaching rant is over and I apologize if this info has been posted here and I did not see it, but CPF'ers get a lux meter, don't buy your next light, get a lux meter instead!! :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

Bill

mkane

Newly Enlightened

I'm curious.

For the H50B, is the lense recessed like the H501 or does it stick out like the original H50?

I may have to get one if it's recessed...

TO add to my other 2 Zebras!

:hitit:
As I said, the site shows a picture of the H50. No reflector is shown. It is the same picture on the ZebraLight site for the H50. That is what I found was odd. The higher price at www.goinggear.com is expected.

The website stated:

I sent an email to ZebraLight to ask about this new light and they usually respond in 24 hours. I'll let you know what they say.
:thinking:

mkane

Newly Enlightened

Umm...every US dealer that sells ZL products have them priced higher than the ZL website. Perhaps you just don't know this???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkane
What is going on here? ... Has anyone ordered from goinggear.com before?:thinking:

Certainly nothing as nefarious as your post implies. This - the 501 - is my third order from the site. I, as well as many others here, have had nothing but great customer service from there.

A simple email to the site purveyor probably would have answered your question here...

I did not mean to imply that there was something nefarious about the higher price or www.goinggear.com. I have seen the site before. Charging higher prices is normal to pay overhead costs. I was questioning the websites description of the H50b, and the fact it had a 80 degree reflector but the picture shows the H50 picture instead from the ZebraLight website. The goinggear.com website said, and I quote:

You left that important part of my comment (and several sentences referring to the 80 degree reflector) out of your quote of me, replacing it with ...... and imply I was questioning the price. I was questioning the reflector and was this real or made up, read my post. Thanks :)

I also think that ZebraLight cleared this up by stating:
"It should read with an 80 degree lens". Was that you Lillian. Thanks.

This makes more sense. Maybe this was a trial run based on the H50 and 80 degree lenses but they came out with the H501 instead with a better switch.

Last edited:

wapkil

Enlightened

[...] The higher price at www.goinggear.com is expected.

If you factor in the CPF 5% discount and the free shipping, for people in the U.S the price difference may actually become one or two dollars. And the shipping should be faster. The user comments in the GoingGear.com CPFM Dealer's Corner thread also look quite favorable.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast

This seems like a very nice wallet. I always wanted to make myself a wallet - could you perhaps make a few more pictures of the wallet? I would also like to see how big it is - you could make a foto with the wallet in your hand.
Thank you :)

I`m a mixture of EDC and mountaineering guy ;-)

Sure, I will post some more pictures of the wallet. I will remove them in a day or two because this thread is about the H501, speaking of which I will post more impressions.

The wallet is nothing special. It's just some cheap wallet that I added elastic bands to. It's super small for the amount of stuff it can hold. I've got my flashlight, pen/screw driver, screw driver bits, bandages, gloves, keys, USB/micro SD card, box cutter, pill fob, whistle, sewing thread, needles, dental floss, 5 cards and money in this picture. Two card slots and the zippered pocket are still unused.
IMG_2490.jpg

In the hand
IMG_2486.jpg

Now more impressions on the H501. I played with it last night and today. I have used it mostly clipped to my shirt but also as a headlamp briefly. The ability to use this light hand free is liberating. The high setting is bright enough to light up my bedroom. The medium is bright enough for reading. The low is useful to walk around in the dark inside the house. That said, I still wish the light has more power.

As mentioned before, the on/off switched is too sensitive. No, I don't consider loosening the cap a fix. That's more of an excuse for a flawed design. The switch should be more recessed further into the head making it harder to press accidentally. I don't care for the clip. It's too bulky and not long enough. Switching from shirt carry to headlamp involves removing the clip which involves removing the cap. That's a lot of work. A better design would one in which the clip is smaller, permanent and can be clipped on the headband.

As for the beam, I like the evenness of the light. However, I would prefer a wider beam, maybe 90 degree. I was reading on bed with the light clipped to my shirt. I found that I had to adjust the light a little bit to get it to shine both pages of the book. I would not have to do that with a wider beam.

For some one who is considering whether to get the H50 or H501, I would say that depends on your need. If you use it inside, the H50 might be a better choice. The H501, being a little brighter, might have the edge for outside use.

Last edited:

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast

You left that important part of my comment (and several sentences referring to the 80 degree reflector) out of your quote of me, replacing it with ...... and imply I was questioning the price. I was questioning the reflector and was this real or made up, read my post. Thanks :)

Actually, I read your post twice before I commented.

If you weren't questioning the site in an odd way, than I read your post wrong and I apologize. However, if you were simply questioning about the H50b, why start off your post with statements about the prices that are charged on the site? That was completely unnecessary to your "real" question. And why end your "supposed" question with another question asking readers if they have ever ordered from the site - with the (perhaps unintended) implication that it is a questionable site?

Perhaps you should go back and read your post.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually, I read your post twice before I commented.

If you weren't questioning the site in an odd way, than I read your post wrong and I apologize. However, if you were simply questioning about the H50b, why start off your post with statements about the prices that are charged on the site? That was completely unnecessary to your "real" question. And why end your "supposed" question with another question asking readers if they have ever ordered from the site - with the (perhaps unintended) implication that it is a questionable site?

Perhaps you should go back and read your post.

i got the same impression because he said "at higher prices." if it weren't an issue why was it mentioned. anyway seems to be cleared up on the poster's intention.
it can be confusing if they think the price on the website is an msrp but there seems to be no msrp in the flashlight world. it's more of what ppl are will the pay and what the market can bear. :naughty:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

The ability to use this light hand free is liberating. The high setting is bright enough to light up my bedroom. The medium is bright enough for reading. The low is useful to walk around in the dark inside the house. That said, I still wish the light has more power.

As mentioned before, the on/off switched is too sensitive. No, I don't consider loosening the cap a fix. That's more of an excuse for a flawed design. The switch should be more recessed further into the head making it harder to press accidentally. I don't care for the clip. It's too bulky and not long enough. Switching from shirt carry to headlamp involves removing the clip which involves removing the cap. That's a lot of work. A better design would one in which the clip is smaller, permanent and can be clipped on the headband.

As for the beam, I like the evenness of the light. However, I would prefer a wider beam, maybe 90 degree. I was reading on bed with the light clipped to my shirt. I found that I had to adjust the light a little bit to get it to shine both pages of the book. I would not have to do that with a wider beam.

For some one who is considering whether to get the H50 or H501, I would say that depends on your need. If you use it inside, the H50 might be a better choice. The H501, being a little brighter, might have the edge for outside use.

yes, your indoor experience is the same as mine. it's an excellent headlamp for the indoors with the output well spaced out for different tasks.

i do wish for more power, hey who doesn't, but i think they are already pushing it with the limitations of heatsink size. it gets pretty warm on high and when used as a headlight there is no hand to remove heat.
the only solution is some sort of aspheric lens accessory.
i could make a hack job one. the 20mm aspheric one i had before shown. glue some thick o-ring in the back. glue some elastic band at the lens edges to hold it on the head. but i rather zebralight come up with a clean accessory :) besides i bought this for flood for hiking to be combined with a thrower. 2 light doing what they are designed for. i'm not even sure i would use an aspheric accessory. i feel like it's like putting sport wheels on a suv trying to make it something it isn't.

i'm beginning to understand the switch though. if i wanted to operate it on my head, i want something easy to press. if it was harder to press then i would need my finger on the other end otherwise i would shift the headlamp on my head from the effort.
i'm fine personally with locking out the tailcap. i do it on my other lights so it's 2nd nature and i think a good habit in general.

i agree with the h50 h501 statement. if someone were to use it strictly indoors the h50 would better suit with the wider angle. someone using it indoors and out would benefit from the h501.

mkane

Newly Enlightened

I withdraw my comment about the higher price at http://www.goinggear.com, it is customary to pay for overhead and you can save on the postage and get it quicker.

I am still curious about the ZebraLight H50b and why it is not on the ZebraLight website and what the story is.

http://www.goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14&products_id=89

If someone buys one please send your comments and indicate if it is really a 80 degree lens or reflector and what it looks like.

Shorty66

Enlightened

This picture is pretty accurate:
zl2tints.jpg

The H501w does have a "peachy" tint, though the tint is quite near to sunlight as reported earlier.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast

This picture is pretty accurate:
zl2tints.jpg

The H501w does have a "peachy" tint, though the tint is quite near to sunlight as reported earlier.

I wonder what setting the camera used?

That neutral white looks perfect for outdoor usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.