Zebralight H501 Part 2

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Didn't ZL already say that their frosted lens will get a larger flood than the 501?

the XPG is better, but I don't think its that much better to get 2x throw with 1.2 - 1.5x larger flood...

The H501 has a 80 degree flood beam, so with a potentially reduced area an increase in throw seems logical. It all depends on the optic/reflector that gets used.

pae77

Enlightened
I think the 80 degree flood of the H501 is one of its very useful features, the way it allows one to just place the light somewhere and point it in the direction one needs and get such a big spread of light. Not sure 60 degrees would be as useful, although of course more throw would be nice.

Another thing I really really like about the current H501w (both old or new UI) is the tint. I've seen two H501w's and both had the same great tint, so I don't think my perception of it is due to getting lucky with the tint lottery. I haven't seen such a nice tint on any other light, including the two SC50w's I've seen. I haven't yet experienced any XPG lights but I hope that emitter is available in a tint that is the same or very close to what comes out of the current H501w and, if so, that ZL chooses to use it.

Last edited:

red02

Enlightened
I missed what ZL said about their frosted lens. One of the unfair complains the H501 receives is that it has no throw. I say unfair because the light is tiny and was designed for flood, not throw. Could a compromise be reached? How do you give it some throw and still remain all flood? The H31/H51 are not really the solution for those who want a true all flood light. I figure if you make the beam narrower, then the throw should increase. That's why I like a 60 degree all flood beam.

I hope the H51F won't have a larger flood than the H501 because the larger flood would make it harder to use the light discreetly around other people.

For a task light its fine, however I think the criticism is valid since its completely true and some people may need to see beyond 2m when caving, etc.

I remember asking ZL and their response was that it will be a wider beam. I could be wrong, but this exact thing was discussed in the H51F thread with the same conclusion based on the fact that frosted glass instead of an optic was used.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that's as valid as buying a Toyota Prius for fuel economy then complain it doesn't drive as fast as a Corvette.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The magnet broke off once more for about the 7th time. I have been using Krazy glue. I will try liquid nail tomorrow. Hopefully that will hold better.
IMG_5239.jpg

red02

Enlightened
I epoxied a magnet on the bottom of my ZL. Then decided this wasn't for me and had to remove it with pick and chisel(read: hammer and screwdriver), the best part is that now you can't tell that anything was done to the bottom of the ZL. I guess thats a testament to how good the ano is.

yowzer

Enlightened
I hope the H51F won't have a larger flood than the H501 because the larger flood would make it harder to use the light discreetly around other people.

I'd be surprised if it did. Consider the H50 with its 120 degree beam. Personally, I like it better than the 501 when it comes to putting it down somewhere to light up a room (And the 501 better when it's on my head), but, based on CPF's reactions, the 501 is more popular... to the point where most ZL dealers don't even stock the H50, though you can still get it from the company store.

red02

Enlightened
I'd be surprised if it did. Consider the H50 with its 120 degree beam. Personally, I like it better than the 501 when it comes to putting it down somewhere to light up a room (And the 501 better when it's on my head), but, based on CPF's reactions, the 501 is more popular... to the point where most ZL dealers don't even stock the H50, though you can still get it from the company store.

I hope so too, but what ZL says doesn't inspire confidence.

Its already been confirmed that the H51F will be the H51 (reflectored) with a ground glass instead of a clear one. The reason why the H501 was special was because of a specialized optic. The ground glass will just defuse the light and spread it in all directions. Just looking at a picture of ground glass gives that impression, it has the consistency of tape. You can get an even flood by taping up the lens...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds good to me. Those homemade diffusers (tape, bottle cap) reduce brightness considerably. Sounds like their new ground glass gives us both throw and flood.

yowzer

Enlightened
Sounds good to me. Those homemade diffusers (tape, bottle cap) reduce brightness considerably. Sounds like their new ground glass gives us both throw and flood.

If so, that would be ideal. A budget version of the SF Saint would make me (And my wallet) very happy.

Spypro

Enlightened
Is there a way to buy a H501w with the new UI ? Only the cold tint is available for the H501 on ZL website :(

Harry999

Enlightened
I purchased a H501W from the ZL store just a week ago and it shipped with the new UI.

That gives me hope. I ordered a week ago and am waiting for it to arrive in the UK now. I have ordered the H501w specifically as a reading light so a low low mode would be great first thing in the morning!

dodge_911

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a H501W from the ZL store just a week ago and it shipped with the new UI.
Same here...
Since I have taken delivery, about 5 days ago, I already burned through 5 eneloops using it :)
Really really like the UI, activating the secondary functions using the double clicks. Havent used the strobe modes, but the moonlight, low and high modes are being used very much.
It's already proved it's worth, lighting an emergency camera repair, in the backstage area of a big party I was shooting.
I also use it quite a lot when I'm wandering about around the house, not using the houselights, because they're almost all incan or halogen and they generate heat, something that I can't really have in this heatwave we're going though over here right now ;)
Absolutely LOVE the warm tint. Compared to my Olight Infinitum I-25 R2 it looks slightly warmer. I've compared to my other lights as well, but those are almost all Q5's so they don't look as warm...

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same here...
Since I have taken delivery, about 5 days ago, I already burned through 5 eneloops using it :)
Really really like the UI, activating the secondary functions using the double clicks. Havent used the strobe modes, but the moonlight, low and high modes are being used very much.
It's already proved it's worth, lighting an emergency camera repair, in the backstage area of a big party I was shooting.
I also use it quite a lot when I'm wandering about around the house, not using the houselights, because they're almost all incan or halogen and they generate heat, something that I can't really have in this heatwave we're going though over here right now ;)
Absolutely LOVE the warm tint. Compared to my Olight Infinitum I-25 R2 it looks slightly warmer. I've compared to my other lights as well, but those are almost all Q5's so they don't look as warm...

I am glad this light works for you. I sure like mine. I use it to keep the house cool and to save electricity everyday.

Harry999

Enlightened
My ZL H501w and H501r have not arrived yet (ordered 30/06). I think Customs have them.