Zebralight H501 Part 2

concept0

Enlightened
Got any beam shots?

Don't laugh, this was my first attempt at a beamshot. The ZL is on the left, a Regalight EDC modded with Q3-5A is on the right. The Regalight looks pinker/redder to me, though I don't know how well that shows up in the picture. Now that I look at it, the ZL does look a tiny bit green.

IMG_4934.jpg

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't laugh, this was my first attempt at a beamshot. The ZL is on the left, a Regalight EDC modded with Q3-5A is on the right. The Regalight looks pinker/redder to me, though I don't know how well that shows up in the picture. Now that I look at it, the ZL does look a tiny bit green.

IMG_4934.jpg
hmm that looks like mine. and your beamshot to the right looks like my mag aspheric q3-5a(flood focused).
i always thought that the color look different depending on how it's projected.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beam on mine is perfect. I am glad they sent me the regular white LED. I think it's possible for ZL to make this light brighter. The new small Nitecore EZ AA can put out 130 lumens. I would rather have more lumens and a little less run time.

peskyphotons

Newly Enlightened
I just got my H501s in the mail. One has a little more of a yellowish tint than the other, I like the whiter tint better. I am a little color blind and I am not able to distinguish any benefit to a warm tint. I really like the UI, I can get to any setting very easily and quickly. I would like to see this UI on other lights as well. I really found my H50 to be nice light and the H501 is a good improvement. Unscrewing the cap a little is a good lockout and the 80 degree beam is very usable. I don't have any criticisms, I'm happy with the light. I do wish there was a way to clip it to my hat brim though.

Alex

AvPD

Enlightened
The only thing wrong with it is in the past, long threads created problems within the software itself. Reducing the possibility of a forum slowdown or even a total shutdown and being able to continue to post on a particular subject would seem to outweigh the inconvenience of putting forth a bit more effort to make a reply.
Thanks for responding.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh, but which one do you have?

q3-5a with the packaging marked that.

davidt1 smart move with the extra rubber. the friction should help. about the output, i dont think they can push it harder without redesigning it. ie larger heatsink. it gets pretty warm already. their other alternative is just use higher bin crees like r2's.
if someone were to want a higher output they should consider the h60 version.

book reading. i wanted to comment on someone else's statement saying they wish it was wider or that it didn't cover both pages. i found that it did cover both in reading..:thinking:

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm so confused... the output of my light is yellowish, but not peachy. Certainly not green or blue, but not like my other 5A lights. What do I have?

Maybe you got a Q3-5B (who knows?). Wouldn't that be interesting? Isn't a Q3-5B more yellow and less pink?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight seems to be the only company making this type of light. I wonder if it's because they own the patent. I would love to see other companies entering the fray. There is nothing like a little competition to encourage innovations.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
I posted earlier in this thread that I had received a regular emitter when I ordered a warm emitter. Zebralight did answer my email within 24 hrs and asked me to look closely at the tint of the LED die with the light off.
I compared it to my other Q3-5A emitters and was surprised to see that it does have the slightly orange color of the warm emitters. Then I went into a dark room and did a lot of comparisons with my flashlight collection and I have decided that I did actually get a warm emitter.
For some reason, my 501 has a slightly harsh quality to the light it produces. The beam color is about the same as my other warm emitters, maybe not quite as warm, but a lot warmer than my regular, unmodded lights. It just has a slightly harsh quality that I have always associated with the cooler emitters. I don't know how to describe it any better than that.
It may just be an effect of the optic. When I bounce the light off the ceiling, the harshness is gone and the resultant illumination looks exactly like my other Q3-5A lights.

Yapo

Enlightened
I ordered a regular tint H501 just before i went away over the easter week end and just got back now to find out that it was shipped on friday and now the website says its out of stock...lucky i ordered it in time...maybe i got the last 1?!? hope it has a good white/warm tint!

ZebraLight

Enlightened
The lights we delivered recently AND in the near future are come with either Q5-WD or Q3-5A tint LEDs. The color temperature of the WD tint is in the 6350-5700K range. It's a bit warmer than the WC tint (7000-6350K) we had before. The 'warm white' 5A tint is in the 4300-4000K range. One way to tell if you have a WD or 5A tint light is to compare it to a camera flash (5500K). Here are some examples of color temperature (K):

Cree WC 6350-7000
Cree WD 5700-6350
Daylight 5500-6000
Camera flash 5500
Cree 5A 4000-4300
Incandescent 2700-3300

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lights we delivered recently AND in the near future are come with either Q5-WD or Q3-5A tint LEDs. The color temperature of the WD tint is in the 6350-5700K range. It's a bit warmer than the WC tint (7000-6350K) we had before. The 'warm white' 5A tint is in the 4300-4000K range. One way to tell if you have a WD or 5A tint light is to compare it to a camera flash (5500K). Here are some examples of color temperature (K):

Cree WC 6350-7000
Cree WD 5700-6350
Daylight 5500-6000
Camera flash 5500
Cree 5A 4000-4300
Incandescent 2700-3300

Wow, the WD looks to be equivalent to daylight. who can ask for more! and with Q5 brightness rather than Q3!

mhejl

Newly Enlightened
Can someone with 14500s laying around please check the fit in their H501?

I just got my H501 and the first thing I did was drop in (well, sort of) an AW protected 14500 and it got stuck! Had a bear of a time getting it out, requiring taps with a rubber mallet on the threaded end.

My only other 14500 wasn't quiet as tight but made me too uncomfortable to go through another panic. These are almost new 14500s, purchased at the same time.

Back OT: I didn't specify warm tint. Mine has a cool, but more purple tint compared to my H30 and other Q5s I have. Threads and o-ring were dry and gritty; needed cleaning and lubed. The pocket clip is plain steel (magnetic) while the H30 is (apparently) stainless. Not sure I like the "instant high" on a quick button press (no OT comments, please!) but I suppose I'll get used to it. Strobe is adequately hidden, though.